Load DataLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationWidenersRepackboxRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Just got a gas check tool

Banned

Why in the world is he dinking around with ebay, when he could be doing group buys here for probably $50-$60 a pop easily?

We're most likely to picky and high maintenance..

Boolit Master

I tried an email and never got any response.
    Maybe he has too much business?

Jack

Banned

Well I can tell you right now he's loosing his rear end at $35 in the long run, and will not be able to stay in the game for long.

Boolit Mold
    I just cant see how they are going to work. His 8mm set makes checks that are 323 OD .314 ID X .090. Now when the OD is about the same as what they will be sized to and the Id is way bigger than the gas check diameter on the cast bullet, what will hold them on? They sure are not going to be "crimped on, the lube might hold them in place, but just can't seem to believe they will stay together once bullet hit rifling. I asked him this in an email and he said if I had doubts I should not bid on it, with no further explanation.

Boolit Master
    Edmond, Oklahoma - that's N. of the Red River
    Jakey,

I just recently had an experience with the party in question. Not much of a business person IMHO. The interpersonal skills of a frog. I'll just continue to purchase my gas checks but did want to try making them myself. Oh well.

Dave

Boolit Master
    I also had a bad business experience with the one who was selling them. I just happened to get "the one that didn't work" I guess and when I tried to be civil about it he got on a real rant about how I whould go out of my way to go by the post offic etc to mail him the thing right back since I had time to get on the internet. Like a regular "home security" guy or something. Mine did not work at all.

codarnall

Bidding

Quote Originally Posted by Jakey View Post
    I just cant see how they are going to work. His 8mm set makes checks that are 323 OD .314 ID X .090. Now when the OD is about the same as what they will be sized to and the Id is way bigger than the gas check diameter on the cast bullet, what will hold them on? They sure are not going to be "crimped on, the lube might hold them in place, but just can't seem to believe they will stay together once bullet hit rifling. I asked him this in an email and he said if I had doubts I should not bid on it, with no further explanation.
    Well now when we tell stories we should try to the get the story straight. You're question was posted less than 30 minutes before the end of a five day auction. Using eBays system clock as a reference. Traveling at the speed of of light I still can't get it to run backwards. I e-mailed you within a hour AFTER closing and indicated you could rescind your winning bid, (you had won) with no hard feelings . Buyer remorse? Please, please, do!
    Last edited by codarnall; 03-02-2008 at 07:09 PM.

codarnall
    Quote Originally Posted by VTDW View Post
    Jakey,

I just recently had an experience with the party in question. Not much of a business person IMHO. The interpersonal skills of a frog. I'll just continue to purchase my gas checks but did want to try making them myself. Oh well.

Dave
    Again this is the frog speaking. I spent hours dealing with you off-line, bickering over 50 cents, I thought you might be one of my three Dave Williams' I know. All to save a dollar.

Your answer "Houston we have a problem", after 3 days, Sir the problem was yours. Close only counts in horse shoes and hand grenades. You should know as a retired school administrator.
    Last edited by codarnall; 03-02-2008 at 07:07 PM.

So, do these work? Has anyone done any real testing at the range yet? I have been staying away from gc designed molds because of the price of gas checks.

Thanks,

Crabo

codarnall
    Quote Originally Posted by Newtire View Post
    I also had a bad business experience with the one who was selling them. I just happened to get "the one that didn't work" I guess and when I tried to be civil about it he got on a real rant about how I whould go out of my way to go by the post offic etc to mail him the thing right back since I had time to get on the internet. Like a regular "home security" guy or something. Mine did not work at all.

The system clock screwed you up too, bud tell the whole story or try too, subsequent buyer loved it. The cutter wasn't has sharp as it could be but worked. I sharpened in 3 minutes and sold it working fine.

Boolit Buddy
    I have had zero problems with the product, as well my dealings with Codarnall. I have made some checks with one disk, and some with two. The two sick checks kind of crimp on when they are run through the sizer. I have found that with a dot of superglue, the check must be pryed off with a knife, or screwdriver once the glue sets up. After glueing, I lube the bullet and then, after the lube dries, I run the bullet thought the appropriate Lee sizer.

I have still not shot any of them, but I am confident that they will work just fine. I was not really expecting a couple of hundred dollar tool for $35, even though this appears to be a quality tool. I did order a couple of sets of the cutters off of Amazon.com for about $5 a set, just in case I screw up the cutter.

I would not hesitate to buy another one in the caliber I have, or another caliber that I may need.

codarnall
    Quote Originally Posted by codarnall View Post
    Well now when we tell stories we should try to the get the story straight. You're question was posted less than 30 minutes before the end of a five day auction. Using eBays system clock as a reference. Traveling at the speed of of light I still can't get it to run backwards. I e-mailed you within a hour AFTER closing and indicated you could rescind your winning bid, (you had won) with no hard feelings . Buyer remorse? Please, please, do!

The exact email to you.

Two things: Sounds like you have doubts in a question I just got from you. First, I recommend a better punch at 7/16 than the Chinese one. One reported having to sharpen it at some point. www.use-enco.com item 240-1936 for $8.87 plus S&H. Or other General 7/16 inch hollow hole punch.
    Secondly, if you'd like to cancel your bid please feel free to do so. No problem---Charlie

- codarnall

Item and user details
    Item Title: Gas Check Making Tool .323 8mm Aluminum Standalone
    Item Number: 230226834847
    Item URL: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=230226834847
    End Date: Mar-02-08 11:39:31 PST
    From User:
    codarnall (138)
    100.0% Positive Feedback
    Member since Feb-26-06 in United States
    Activity with codarnall (last 90 days):I have bid on 0 items from codarnall
    This message was sent while the listing was closed.codarnall is a seller.

Boolit Mold
    Frog, since I asked you a technical question about your product and you seem to not be able/willing to answer it, I must assume that they in fact do NOT work. Instead of haveing all the know-how of the "system clock",whatever that is, maybe you should "bone" up on info on YOUR product. And also , DONE SO.

superglue is not a solution, as soon as the check gets hot (.000001 second after discharge) the glue will melt rendering it non-glue.

Boolit Master
    codarnall,

I do not get into squables on forums as I found a long time ago I cannot get a pig to sing. It cannot be done and just annoys the pig. It seems everyone else is here is out of step sir. My apologies for attempting to give the good folks a heads-up.

Enjoy yourself,

Dave

Banned

Codarnall,

I'm a business man. Granted- not sucessful all of the time, but it's paid my way all of my life so far.

You seem to be on to something here and have the potential for a great product. Why not work with the folks here to perfect it, then sell it to us in a group buy format?

Trust me- very few individuals have time to make freecheck tools, or even have the capability.

If a quality punch tool is the problem in the long run, that's not a problem at all as we all know the chinese ones are cheap and will not hold an edge without frequent resharpening. A guy can buy a better disk punch later if he chooses to. The key here is your tool.

Start with one caliber, say 30 cal for instance. Perfect it. Varify that it works here with yourself and a few test members.

If memory serves me correctly, the Hanned line freecheck tool was over $100. I know Veral Smith thought of offering them at one time. Don't know if he ever went through with it, but they sure won't be cheap.

WHen you have the 30 cal gascheck maker perfected, offer it here for sale on a group buy format for the same price as a LEE mold $60 shipped, IF and only IF you can make a great working tool, and a decent profit at that price and cover all of your material costs etc.

Step back and watch what happens. You will never ever want to deal on eBay again. You have a captive FREE market here with no advertising costs. They even can be talked into putting the capital up front as long as you are found to be a stand up guy and back your product. I'll buy one for each caliber as they come, as my funds are available.

Where in the world can you find a manufacturing deal like that? I wish I knew of one.
    Last edited by PatMarlin; 03-03-2008 at 02:37 AM.

Banned

Codarnall,

I went on eBay and checked your feeback. You are obviously doing something right and treating people fairly.

But MAN YOU ARE GIVING AWAY YOUR PRODUCT...

Holy cow- some as low as $17 bucks, and many under $20

Boolit Mold
    My thinking might be wrong, but is not the other half of the equation of using thin gas checks (Alum. can=.005) , the boolit mold? Would not the gas check diameter of the boolit mold have to be bigger to correspond to the bigger I.D. of the Alumin. can gas check so that it would have something to "crimp" onto?

Boolit Master
    I have to agree with Pat. I owned and operated businesses over the years and all made money for me. Heck I own one right now even being retired. This forum as well as a select few others are great places to have folks try out your product (you do not have to provide them free either) and give feedback. There is nothing better than word of mouth advertising on these forums we frequent. Also, you would be very surprised at how cheap it is to have a banner ad on forums. No messing with e-mails (at least not too much) or E-Bay and such. Many times I have seen people with products they think are great and find out it is not necessarily something we want or really need. Your tool looks to be a winner from my point of view. I cannot see zillions of folks lining up for your product but can see at least hundreds and after the initial success there will be more customers as more get into reloading and casting. You can indeed get more $ for your product especially since you are targeting a specific audience/customer base. E-bay will get you some business but not nearly as much as these forums.

Dave

p.s. Ever thought about having your own forum on a board? If so, e-mail me. It is free.

Jakey, cast boolits are supposed to have a standard size base in order to have gas checks fit them. I have a mold that drops boolits with bases just a tad bit too large and I have to use a flaring tool I came up with to flare the gas checks just a tad. It is simple and I have the time and do not mind doing it.

Banned

I contacted him too. I wanted to buy one in 44 and 45 and he wont sell them other then on ebay. I dont deal with ebay anymore so i guess im left out in left field. Sure wish hed reconsider selling them to us here. Id about bet wed keep him so busy he wouldnt have to deal with an anti gun bussiness like ebay.

Banned

Charlie- please check your PM box if you see this post.

Pat......

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast