WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
RepackboxInline FabricationLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Load Data
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: My 44-40 Black Powder Journey

Banned
    Wow, great write up! It makes me want a 44-40.

Boolit Master
    Mr. Jack Christian, congrats. nice writing, great rifle, wonderful shooting.
    we brazilians are a bunch of morons. I've seen quite a bunch of original Winchesters 1873 and 1892 neglected or bubbaed to the vomit point... Yours is impeckable!
    Another un-funny fact of gun control, i've never seen Elephant powder here for sale, I can only get some unamed 2 1/2oz tubes... but the factory is there in the northeast, since 1866. The northeast of Brazil also was one of the richest regions and many of the great guns of the past were bought and used in that region, eg. Mausers, Colt, S&W etc...

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    I posted a follow-up on the Marlin forum, but did not share the info here. Here are 100-yard targets shot with my Microgroove 1894S Marlin in .44-40 using black powder. Yes, it can be done. These groups were shot with 33 grains of Elephant powder and Accurate 43-230EB, which is my modification of John's 43-215C adding a .03 bevel base and widening the base band slightly to increase weight to 230 grains. This mild load shoots well, but accuracy improved when I used John's methods to settle 36 grains into the Starline brass and the fliers disappeared and the groups show denser centers. But 10-shot groups at 100 yards, 20 consecutive round here with no wiping or blow tubing and "dirty" powder shows that a Microgroove will shoot black if the bullet and lube are correct.

An acid test of John's method I would say.
    Attachment 169025Attachment 169027Attachment 169026
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Grand Master

Thanks for reviving this excellent thread, Victorfox. I don't have a 44WCF in my stable at the moment but when that is corrected 30WCF is getting part of the blame.
    Excellent thread, gents. Nicely done!
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Master
    TxGunNut you're welcome sir! In fact I believe cast boolits is sort of a deep web thing... There are a ton of great threads here meaning a literal ton... I came here accidentally due to an external search on the Elephant powder.
    I just happened to be directed (check for yourself, most google searches lead - pun intended - to castboolits) from there and bump there's this great thread I've never seen...
    44-40 is a great caliber to me. I just don't go and buy one because current production Rossi's are 429/432 bored and CBC ammo is about 427". Not easy to reload here. Original guns are either rotten or have collector price tags, or both.
    I'm always talking a friend who has a Remington 14 1/2 if he ever wants to sell it offer it to me first. It's the only one I've seen around, has a good bore, and is about 50% good overall finish. A good shooter it is.
    Outpost75, this is very good shooting. Nice boolit too, saving the drawing and pic for reference.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    In a couple of weeks, w30wcf aka John Kort and I are going to run some comparatives over the chronograph:
    Kort:
    * Marlin
    * Accurate 43-215C - John's bullet design
    * 36gr KIK FFg

John Boy:
    * Ballard
    * Accurate 43-215C
    * 36gr Goex Cartridge, discontinued FFg
    We'll probably run 20 rounds each but have not decided with or w/o fouling control
    Last edited by John Boy; 05-28-2016 at 10:01 PM.
    Regards
    John

Looking forward to your report and pictures of your Ballard!
    The ENEMY is listening.
    Keep it to yourself.

Here's the Ballard - 44 WCF, JM Marlin Sporting model ...

A Ballard 1880's something Sporting rifle. Serial 136XX doesn't match production dates for Sporting rifles. It is a 30" barrel originally chambered for 44WCF with a TJ liner in 44-40.
    The rifle came to me as someone else's project with no sights - new case colored block & finger lever and new forearm & stock.
    The bluing is a nice patina full color

To put it back together: TJ 44-40 1:18 liner - a MVA Beach front sight that was an original option - a receiver sight out of my parts box - a new extractor -new replica tang sight and a new butt plate with screws. Ballard used 1873 Winchester butt plate screws

Regards
    John

Boolit Master
    Very nice looking rifle. I've a weakness for nicely figured stocks.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Beautiful!
    The ENEMY is listening.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Grand Master

John Boy, that rifle has more character than any I've seen recently...and most of my rifles have plenty of character. Very nice.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

This article should be a sticky. I keep looking for it and it keeps moving further down the list. Moving it back up.

DEP

Thanks for bumping this. I enjoyed reading it again.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    Keep it to yourself.

This is a Great Thread....for me the 44-40 with 3fff and a 200gr cast if a great combo for the Henry !!

Ol Deuce
    Do the Best with What you have !

I have a Belgian Frontier revolver and I am making some casings up for it out of .303 Brit. brass.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ml.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	38.9 KB 
ID:	224223

Name:	ml2.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	24.7 KB 
ID:	224224

Name:	ml3.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	43.2 KB 
ID:	224225

This def needs to be brought up again. I am hoping to coax even more info on the 44WCF. My current spree is the 38WCF but ive a 92 in the works that will be the 44WCF so i am a sponge for anything written on either chamber.

Thanks again fellers for the good work with these great cartridges.

I would highly recommend to you Savvy Jack's .44-40 blog, which has an archive of the late John Kort's info and contributions from others here and elsewhere, all gathered together in one convenient place.

https://www.44winchestercenterfirecartridges.com/blog
    The ENEMY is listening.
    Keep it to yourself.

Kewl, thanks Outpost. Lotza reading there.

Gentlemen - with a sad heart my good friend and shooting companion w30wcf aka ...
    aka w44wcf
    aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
    aka John Kort
    NRA Life Member
    .22 W.C.F., .30 W.C.F., .44 W.C.F. Cartridge Historian

passed on to his Lord and Savior on March 23,2018. He will be sorely missed by many
    RIP John
    Regards
    John

I am very sad to hear this. Thankyou for the heads up. Prayers to and for his family.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast