RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyADvertise hereGraf & Sons
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionStainLess Steel MediaInline Fabrication

Thread: Ideal/Lyman Mold Manfactor History

Ideal/Lyman Mold Manfactor History

This is from a post by Doug Elliott (no relationship to me) on another forum. He is long time Ideal/Lyman collector/historian, many here may know of him.

Since there are many inquiry's regarding how to ID certain things about the moulds, I thought this might make a good Sticky.

Frank

As was explained to me some years back by Lyman's Tom Griffin, this is a quality control code for the cherries made for them by various outside suppliers. "BW" indicates the second (B) #457193 cherry made for them by supplier "W"; and "BV" the second from supplier "V".

Another letter/number code sometimes found might be something such as "F1", indicating that the mould was cut by employee "F", on machine "1".

The one-, two- or three-digit number on each pair of blocks is a "match number" assuring that the pair is kept together throughout the machining, finishing, assembly and packaging process.

A tiny pair of additional match numbers sometimes is also found on the collar of a hollow-point or -base plug and one of the blocks it is fitted to.

Other tidbits: Vent grooves were added to the mould blocks sometime in the early-to-mid-1950s; the company's stamp was changed from "IDEAL" to "LYMAN" in 1964; and the company move from Middlefield to Middletown in the summer of 1994 is also reflected in the address stamping.
    Last edited by frnkeore; 03-07-2016 at 07:20 PM.

Moderator Emeritus

Great reminder from a true genius about reloading gear. I believe Floodgate still drops in but rarely posts or logs in here. He is missed.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

This needs to go back to the top

Frank

Stuck