Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingInline FabricationLee Precision
Load DataRepackboxSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Infraction list on the closed thread and an explanation needed for one item

Boolit Grand Master

Infraction list on the closed thread and an explanation needed for one item

I read the closed thread on the infractions and how they work and I have no problem with how this is done. In fact, I think it is pretty lenient to give 3 shots at it before your out. I do have a question on one of the items, though.

"Condescending\Arrogant\Elitist" is listed as an infraction. This seems kinda vague to me and a matter of opinion at best. Everyone can pretty much point to what swearing at another member or a mod looks like and selling items on another sight is specific enough that there is no question on what it means but the above infraction is not cut and dried.

Anyone want to take a stab at what "Elitist" looks like? Where is the line between self-assured and knowledgeable on a subject and "Arrogant"?
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

There isn't a definition

Quote Originally Posted by jonp View Post
    I read the closed thread on the infractions and how they work and I have no problem with how this is done. In fact, I think it is pretty lenient to give 3 shots at it before your out. I do have a question on one of the items, though.

"Condescending\Arrogant\Elitist" is listed as an infraction. This seems kinda vague to me and a matter of opinion at best. Everyone can pretty much point to what swearing at another member or a mod looks like and selling items on another sight is specific enough that there is no question on what it means but the above infraction is not cut and dried.

Anyone want to take a stab at what "Elitist" looks like? Where is the line between self-assured and knowledgeable on a subject and "Arrogant"?
    There isn't an explanation or a definition. It IS a judgement call. That's why the mods get the big bucks. This isn't a court of law, it is a prtivate web site that requires "membership" to post. That does not give ANYONE the right to be a jerk.
    If someone is bumping up against the "line" that is left to a mod to decide, I trust the mod's judgment. The mods, I am sure, talk amongst themselves and have other mods take a look at the messages posted before sancitning a member.
    If someone is bumping up against that line, they probably should be sanctioned anyway. Fair? Who knows? But that is up to the mods.
    Don't like it? Go somewhere else. I bumped up against that line once and got my hands slapped. It was fair, although I disagreed.
    The important thing is that I learned my lesson. If you don't learn your lesson, and commit three infractions, I am not sure that is the kind of person we want here. This is a great site and does not deserver *****s posting stupid stuff.
    Rant off.
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Boolit Grand Master

I agree with your post FISH4BUGGS. I've owned a couple of websites and had to mod a few others. Some of the threads on this sight have run longer than I would have let go if I was a mod so there is no complaint on my part. Your argument is pretty much my view. It's a free sight, if you don't like the rules then mosey on down the WWW road.

I was just opening a discussion on this topic to get others views on this subject.

Boolit Master
    Northeastern part of Penn's Woods near Slocum Hollow.

Knowing more then the Mod that flagged it?
    " Associate with men of good quality, if you esteem your own reputation: for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " George Washington

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.

Remember Starmetal?
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master

I was just opening a discussion on this topic to get others views on this subject.
    That's a no win discussion.

Boolit Buddy
    i for one think the mods do a gooooood job
    We have enough gun control. What we need is idiot control.

Boolit Master

I think this would be an example of pushing the "Condescending\Arrogant\Elitist" line.
    Got to call them like I see them.

Some of the threads on this sight have run longer than I would have let go if I was a mod so there is no complaint on my part.
    Agree on this one. Glad I'm not a mod.

I have often written a scathing reply to a post, reread it, then deleted it instead of posting it. It has saved me from ever having an infraction.

I keep in mind that principle of only posting something I would say in mixed company with my mother, wife and daughter present.

If I don't have something to add within those contexts, I am better off not saying anything.

Cast Boolits Search Tool

The Learning Never Stops!

In Remembrance
    Jackson County, Choctaw Nation, Indian Territory
    Look on the www for a definition of elitist. There are many to choose from.
    Those who fail to study history are doomed to repeat it.

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity”. Sigmund
    Freud

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    Remember Starmetal?
    No I don't. Care to give me the gist of the thing?

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by jsizemore View Post
    That's a no win discussion.
    This is not an "argument to win" thread.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by JWFilips View Post
    Considering my experience in casting vs about everyone else here including the mods I'm not in danger of that.

Little Egypt, Part of the political fifedom of Chicago
    Quote Originally Posted by oneokie View Post
    Look on the www for a definition of elitist. There are many to choose from.
    Yep, I've done that. It all goes back to how someone else judges what the written word says. Pretty well a monotonic colorless situation of the complex human language irregardless of ones thoughts. Fair? That is another question entirely.

Boolit Master
    This is not an "argument to win" thread.
    Still doesn't get it.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by jsizemore View Post
    Still doesn't get it.
    That's elitist.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    Remember Starmetal?
    Dear God yes! If it was even remotely possible to be known about rotational velocity, alloys, brain surgery, rocket scientist you get the idea I'm sure… And when he started to tell you something it was the most overbearing omnipotent "I'M THE GUY THAT KNOWS IT ALL" manner of speaking.

And that was the nice part about him...........

SS
    NRA Life Member Since 1981

"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good"-- George Washington

II Corinthians 4:8-9. We are hard-pressed on every side, yet not crushed; we are perplexed, but not in despair; persecuted but not forsaken, struck down, but not destroyed."

Psalms 25:2 O my God, I trust in thee: let me not be ashamed, let not mine enemies triumph over me.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Boolit Grand Master
    I don't know what it means either but it seems mods think I do........

and nd before those mods get all riled up, that was sarcasm. A form of humor. Ha ha
    You will learn far more at the casting, loading, and shooting bench than you ever will at a computer bench.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Do a search on the name, and read some of the threads. I seem to recall he was banned not once, but twice. He used up every one's fun tickets for such behavior.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

I've not had a problem with the mods, or the rules. I came here to learn about, and possibly help others learn about something that I enjoy doing. That is casting and reloading. If I wanted to argue about stuff that dont matter, i'll just tell the wife her rump is fat and see where it leads me.

Google is your friend...
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/sear...archid=2194579
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast