Inline FabricationRepackboxLoad DataTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionWidenersReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Looking for a new backpack

Looking for a new backpack

My old unit has disappeared since my wife cleaned out upstairs and now I am looking for a new day pack. I want some size to it, some of the ones I saw in Gander look tiny. And there are a bunch of new companies making some now, what is out there that is good but not crazy money. I hate getting ripped off with junk or overpriced for a name.
    NRA Life Member
    Amvets life member

Boolit Buddy

Kelty is always an acceptable pack. If your looking for a daypack, the MAP 3500 is about perfect for that. They're on sale all of the time for 75>90 bucks.

Boolit Bub
    I used a 'The North Face Terra 65' for a trip into the Grand Canyon area...plenty of space to haul up to about 50 lbs of stuff for a few day hike...

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Last edited by Outpost75; 02-04-2016 at 01:19 AM.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Buddy

I bought a Lowes Alpine pack, they're for cross country skiers. They allow your arms to move freely, by contouring to your back. They only have one large pocket, but there are loops to add pouches. I bought mine 25 years ago, so they may have changed. Mine still looks like new...you gets what ya pays for.

Boolit Buddy

sources for a day pack

Quote Originally Posted by pull the trigger View Post
    My old unit has disappeared since my wife cleaned out upstairs and now I am looking for a new day pack. I want some size to it, some of the ones I saw in Gander look tiny. And there are a bunch of new companies making some now, what is out there that is good but not crazy money. I hate getting ripped off with junk or overpriced for a name.
    Be sure to check out Thrift stores and yard sales. I have purchased name brand packs in like new condition for a fraction of their new price. There are lots of packs coming on the market these days. Also a good source but somewhat higher priced are the consignment stores. Pawn shops are hit and miss, depends on the area. As always there is Craigslist but shop with caution. This site has mil-surp stuff and some of the prices are very reasonable: http://www.keepshooting.com/. What ever you do, get one with room to spare. A pack can always be squeezed down but a small one is difficult to carry the essentials in, and the treasures you find in the woods.
    West of Beaver Dick's Ferry.

Boolit Buddy

https://www.eberlestock.com/ Their packs are awesome and they have a lot to choose from.

Boolit Master

Ole thread but important topic for some. Good suggestions by all but our families favorite for the past 80 or more years has been the Duluth Pack. They have other goodies as well - a bit expensive but you definitely get what you pay for from that company.

Canoe packs last a lifetime, a few holes in ours but our father purchased a couple prior to getting married and having us kids and we are in our 70's, just to give you an idea of longevity. Tumpline's are a must if going heavy.

https://www.duluthpack.com/backpacks
    Last edited by ole 5 hole group; 01-24-2017 at 10:51 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    I love my Midway Delta. Add a few MOLLE pouches and it is a great EDC / Get Home bag.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/93...tical-backpack

The Delta and Bravo look good but just bigger than I need for EDC. I already look like I am going on an expedition when I leave for work.

Check out local thrift stores first - see a lot of "School" packs, and one season use only packs - Also if you have a big box (Walmart, Target, Bass Pro, REI, etc) stop in and see what that have - but my favorite for tough is just hit the military surplus stores - not real light weight but great quality usually.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Master
    My favorite pack ever was a walmart hunting pack from about five or six seasons back. But my suggestion is go to an REI store. They will actually help you find a backpack that fits you (at least that is my understanding).

God Bless, and One Love.

GoodOlBoy
    Yes I can be long winded. Yes I follow rabbit trails. Yes I admit when I am wrong. Your mileage may vary.

Keep your powder dry. Watch yer Top knot.

"Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!"

Yes there were "Short" 45 Colts! http://www.leverguns.com/articles/taylor/45_short_colt.htm

Quote Originally Posted by GoodOlBoy View Post
    My favorite pack ever was a walmart hunting pack from about five or six seasons back. But my suggestion is go to an REI store. They will actually help you find a backpack that fits you (at least that is my understanding).

God Bless, and One Love.

GoodOlBoy
    REI generally does have great equipment and good sales help - but you will pay for it.
    I have several REI pieces and I would recommend except for the prices. Most will not
    want to pony up the coin.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

What type of stuff are you carrying? I consider myself an "ultralight" backpacker so my needs are likely different than you. Heck, I head out of 3-4 day trips with only a 40 L pack that isn't even 3/4 full. Staying under 10-12 lbs no problem.

I'll echo REI. Check their online garage, good deals to be had. Their return policy is amazing too (1 year no questions) and a company that supports our outdoors.

Boolit Mold
    Badlands makes very good packs in all sizes. I have used
    It for over 15 years has built in holsters in the waist straps. They also have a lifetime guarantee they don't care if you bought it at a yard sale they will fix or replace it no questions asked. I have 5 different garlands packs from 900 co. To a backpacking pack for week long trips and they are all great quality and comfort.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

For most campers it might come down to the cost factor, as most campers are within 100 feet of their vehicle or only get out once or twice a year.

Good equipment will set you back a few bucks for sure but after 20 to 50 years of hard use - most will think it was money well spent. Handcrafted and a lifetime guarantee is something to think about. The lifetime guarantee usually doesn't mean a free replacement after 10+ years of hard use but for a very small fee, they will completely repair your backpack.

If you're in need of a backpack with a tumpline - you're what I call a "camper", others may call us a "fool for punishment".

It seems we share similar beliefs, osprey makes great packs that follow that mentality. However, they're on a bit of the heavy size for backpackers want that to get 15+ miles in a day. Compared to old army rucksacks they're quite light.

Boolit Buddy
    Badlands makes a really decent pack, especially for the money, and their customer service is OUTSTANDING. I needed a large pack for a Colorado archery backpack hunt, that my son talked me into. I figured it might be a onetime trip, so wanted to keep costs down. Sierra Trading had one, the Summit model, for a killer price, but only in large frame and belt size. I called Badlands and was told Large should work for me. Got the pack last winter, but due to some medical issues the Bride was having, did not do anything with it for several months. Then I figured out it was too big for me. Called Badlands, hoping to be able to buy a smaller waist belt. It was a discontinued camo pattern, so they emailed me a prepaid FedEx label to return the pack and sent me a brand new, current camo pattern pack. They did not even wait to get the old pack back. I think I had the new one, before they had the returned on back.

Carried the pack a lot of miles training, with a bag of grill pellets and 10 days in the mountains hunting and it did a great job. There are things about my sons Mystery Ranch pack that are obviously superior, but it cost several times what I paid for mine.

Jackpine

Boolit Buddy
    My 'first' external backpack was a homemade 'pack frame', then the mil-surp units that were packless but you lash all kinds of 'stuff' to them. My first 'real' external was a Mountain Master. Built tougher than a Kelty and cost a lot less. In todays world I would highly reccomend an internal pack with as few as possible bells and whistles. Not fun getting beaten with loose/excess straps in the wind! Material should be tough, avoid the 'lightweight' parachute/ripstop stuff. Stitching, zippers, velcro, cords should all be build tough. There is nothing more frustrating than equipment failure in the field on a long trip. Designs that look great on the drawing table, may not be that great in use. The basics are shoulder and waist belt system and how they attach and adjust to the bag. The chest strap is nice but I didn't have one for many years. Having backpacked for well over thirty years (pleasure and work) I really believe in the KISS principle. But then everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Rent before you buy if possible, buy used if it is quality and not abused. The sources for 'good' backpacks are ubiquitous, not so sixty years ago.

Forgot to add, a padded hip belt is a real plus!
    Last edited by trebor44; 06-11-2020 at 09:51 AM.
    West of Beaver Dick's Ferry.