Titan ReloadingWidenersRepackboxRotoMetals2
Load DataInline FabricationReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Lee Precision MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Reloading dies for .308 cast boolits?

Boolit Buddy

Reloading dies for .308 cast boolits?

For my handguns, except for a custom expander, I have not had much work to get the reloading dies to work with cast boolits with their typical larger diameter. For my 45/70 rifle, since this caliber is meant to use cast boolits, same - just had to do a new seater plug when I wanted to load round balls.

But I have no experience at all loading cast boolits in .308, so for my Savage model 10, I have "no freaking idea" what reloading dies are "friendly" to cast boolits, which could be .309" up to .311" dia. No, I have not yet sized my bore (I hope to do that soon), but I just want to make sure I buy a really good die set that will work well with the "fatty" cast boolits. This is of course a bolt action, so I will mostly/only be doing some sort of neck-sizing only, once cases are initially fired in my rifle.

I will load these in my Lee, 4x die turret press (same as with my 44Mag and my 45/70), but when I go to Midway, and look at reloading dies for the .308, there seems to be "millions" of possibilities (well, Midway shows 85 dies for this caliber - still too many for me to process ). I take it that .308 is a target round, and there are lots of high-end reloading dies for competition, but I have no idea which ones work well with the "fat" boolits I want to use.

At high level the Lee 4-die set (which can do full length sizing, and neck sizing), sounds like a good starting point, but I don't even know if the factory crimp die will work with cast bullets or not:
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/673...308-winchester

But then you have the Redding 3-die comp set at over $200, which I "seriously" doubt was designed with cast boolits in mind:
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/792...308-winchester

So, what reloading dies (either a set, or dies from several makers) would you recommend as a starting point?

Will

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    I have no experience with reloading the 308 but, all I shoot is "cast" and for my 8mm Mauser, the Lyman "M" die is great for loading cast. This die does not "bell" like a pistol expander die (as an example) - the expander plug does the neck in the normal way and then the plug is designed to actually "expand the mouth" for a very small length so that the oversize lead slug can start in the mouth straight and be seated.

I believe my expander plug/decapping pin on my Lee full length sizing die is .323. Once the casing is brought back out of the die, the brass goes back enough so that a lead bullet sized to .323 had good tension and I don't need to crimp. However, after switching to the Lyman M die, with the expaning plug it has and the way it shapes the mouth of the casing, I can easily sit unsized lead bullets - from my NOE mold they drop at around .325 or so, in the very short expanded mouth and easily seat them. I liked it well enough to get one for my 30/30 loading when I start that and I am now sold on them for loading cast that is oversize. I got mine from MidwayUSA and I believe that they were around $22 or so each - well worth the money.

It's my understanding that NOE also makes expander plugs but I've never looked as I don't need any at this time - but you might want to check them out.

I should also mention that I'm using Lee dies for my 8mm and they work just fine - I'm happy with the job the do on the 8mm but for the cast boolits, I added the M die and now am very pleased. In my old 98 Mauser, I'm only loading cat sneeze loads but finally got my act together not the process that works for me. I now de-prime on a Lee universal depriving die, I removed the de-capping/expander ball stem from the FL sizing die and now screw it out a half-turn or so to only neck size - then on to the M die - add powder and seat. I have a Lee 4 hole turret but just prefer to load my 8mm on my old RCBS Jr3 single stage.

I use a Lee Universal expanding die to flare the case mouths of my .308 brass. Regular old RCBS dies are what I use. A Lee Factory collet style crimp die to remove the bell.

I have had good results using these products. I'm sure there are better products on the market, but "regular" dies will work just fine for you to cut your teeth in loading cast in a rifle.

Waco
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7

Any decent full length or neck sizing die will do for 308 Winchester cases.

You will need something different to expanded the necks to receive the larger cast bullets without damaging them in the process. There are several ways to go with the Lyman 31 cal M die and the RCBS 30 caliber cast bullet expanding dies being among the best. With the RCBS you can get additional expanding spuds and therefore have good control. You will want the expander to be the same size or .001 smaller than your desired cast bullet diameter.

You may or may not be able to use the seating die in an ordinary die set. It will depend on how large the bullet chamber is inside the die. Some dies are too small to accommodate the larger cast bullets. The better dies keep this diameter just a hair over .308 to keep the bullets from wobbling and in good alignment as it is seated. Again thre are several ways around this, but I used two methods for all 30 caliber cast bullets.

1. I have an old Vickerman press mounted straight line seater to which I have fitted a special .3125 bullet sleeve. This die will accommodate the seating of bullets in all 30 calibers regardless of the case length.

2. I also have a special L.E. Wilson hand seating die for the 308 that was also made for .3125 bullets. Wilson will make these on special order. As I remember the price was the same as the regular die.

These are the dies I use to load cast bullets in the 308 case. As stated, there are other ways of doing things.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Buddy
    Awesome - thank you guys for the excellent suggestions

Will

Boolit Buddy

I have been using RCBS's Gold Medal bushing dies for boolit loads. The bushing lets you select just how much you size down the neck and the neck tension. This way I don't neck the case down to almost 7MM before pulling the expander ball back out and then opening more with the M die. Less stress on the neck and less steps. If you get the neck only option and the coated bu$hing$, you don't even need case lube. For plain base you'll need a flare but with gas checks they seem to seat just fine.
    A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that. - Shane

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened.
    Sir Winston Churchill

The truth that makes men free is for the most part the truth which men prefer not to hear.
    Herbert Agar

434-1

Boolit Master
    NOE is making M style expander plugs for the LEE universal case neck die and I believe he sells the die as well.

http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/index.p...c97n0b30q9jh15

where rocks are shot at & milk jugs, too...

Reloading dies for .308 cast boolits?

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Highwall View Post
    NOE is making M style expander plugs for the LEE universal case neck die and I believe he sells the die as well.

http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/index.p...c97n0b30q9jh15
    I purchased the NOE expanders for every caliber that I own that he has had in stock plus a few from Track of the Wolf, only own two Lee Universal Expander dies but will buy more as they are inexpensive & I can keep them set up for my most frequently used cartridges.
    Last edited by ballistim; 01-11-2015 at 10:37 PM. Reason: Spelling
    “Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened."

Winston S. Churchill

Boolit Grand Master

I use Lee dies and a RCBS neck expander. Pretty sure I have a full compliment of M die expanders as well. Looks like I have to see what plugs I have because I know I have multiples of both size die bodies.

Boolit Grand Master

A regular set of dies plus a Lyman M-die or Lee Universal Case Expanding/Flaring Die ( the Lee universal is good for 22 to 45 cal., real handy in my opinion) and you are set.
    Hint: size your boolits to.309 and you will not have too many problems.
    When I started, Lyman Handbook #3 said to size 308 Win and 30-06 to .308, so I bought that sizer. Both my rifles have .308 dia. bores.
    Now the wisdom is to size .309, so I bought a .309 die....truth is they both shoot the same in my bolt actions and don't give any "fat boolit" problems. I think the problems might show up with the .311 boolits. Slug your bore and go .001 over and it should be good.
    Gary

Boolit Master
    A set of Lee dies and a .303 expander/decappind rod. Turn the rod in the drillpress or lathe to the desired diameter. Install in die and process as usual. Universal Lee die to bell the case just enough. Seat with the Lee dead length seating die.
    "It is better to die on your feet than to live on your knees" Looking for an RCBS Ammomaster and H&R shotgun barrels regardless of condition

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by troyboy View Post
    A set of Lee dies and a .303 expander/decappind rod. Turn the rod in the drillpress or lathe to the desired diameter. Install in die and process as usual. Universal Lee die to bell the case just enough. Seat with the Lee dead length seating die.
    I ended up ordering the Lee ultimate 4-die set, and the .309" Lee sizer die. For the expander, I plan to make one on my lathe, very similar to an M die with a two diameter step. I have some left-over dies here, so all I have to make is the epander itself.

Thanks again for the advice & tips - much appreciated!

Will
    Last edited by wquiles; 01-13-2015 at 11:11 PM.

Just get the Lee set,,,, You'll be fine. The Lee set will Roll Crimp with the seating die. Or you can use the Factory Crimp die. If you need to further expand the case mouths to receive the boolits then a Lee Expander Die or one with inserts from NOE will be all you need. Also the Collet Neck sizer will probably leave the case mouths big enough that Boolits will seat easily.

Boolits for this round need to be Gas Checked to achieve and real success.

Your barrel is going to be right at .308 in the grooves as Savage makes really good barrels. I am pretty sure of this and would actually bet money on it and especially on a gun in .308 Winchester..

Slugging a barrel is something I do to older guns that may be worn or were suspect to begin with, or after I measure with Calipers and see something Odd. I see no reason to slug the barrel on a new production rifle of a common caliber. Very seldom will you find a new gun that boolits that are .001-2 over stated groove dia won't work in.

Boolits sized .309/.310 are probably going to be the hot ticket. Try Lyman 311299 or Lee 308-200-190-180 or 170,,, bigger the better.

There is really no reason to get all worked up about loading the .308. It is one of the easiest calibers to get good results from there is.

Good Luck

Randy
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 01-14-2015 at 02:25 PM.
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks Randy. And yes, planning only shooting gas checked boolits on my new Savage

I load 308 in cast and I use the Lyman M die that i also use in my 30-06 and also for my 30-30 .I use the same Mdie for all of them with out a problem ,like was stated already it will work what some have told you about just wanted you to know that the same die like stated will work in any of the ones i stated to help you out on it.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Buddy
    I know it has been a "while", but I finally was able to re-engage this project and got my first reloads done this year:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...308-cast-loads