WidenersTitan ReloadingRepackboxRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataInline Fabrication
Reloading Everything

Thread: Winchester 70 Classic Rebarrel

Boolit Master

Winchester 70 Classic Rebarrel

I have a model 70 classic in 300 Win that has cold bore issues. (Think poi shift of 8-10 inches at 200 yards between a cold bore and a warm one.) I bought it used with the intent of it being my long range rifle (500 and in) and for chasing elk.

I plan to have it rebarreled in 300 win again, but funds are somewhat limited at the moment. Being the tinkerer that I am, I'm intrigued by the availability of new/lightly used takeoff barrels on fleabay and other sites. I know the barrel would need to be head spaced and I understand the go/no-go gauges and the need for an action wrench, etc. and that I would need a CRF barrel. What are my chances of getting a takeoff barrel to headspace without needing the barrel shoulder cut back and other machine work to make it happen?

This would be for a scoped rifle with no iron sights.

I'd be willing to buy the tools (can always sell them when I'm done) and take The chance on a <$100 barrel if there's a reasonable chance that this would work out for me. I can always resell the barrel if it doesn't.

Looking for you guys with more experience to tell me if this could work or that I'm crazy and that I should wait for funds to have someone install a new barrel for me.

Appreciate the help.

Boolit Grand Master

One thing you might try with the original barrel is having it cyrogenically stress releived. One cause of you problem is stress. Another is shifts from uneven bedding pressures in forarm channel or if the sling is on a barrel band and a tight sling is used this affects harmonics alot. As to a take off barrel its a **** shoot if they time up correctly or need some minor adjustments most will be close. But also keep in mind these take offs were taken off for a reason some caliber changes others because they didnt perform or have the same issues as yours. Im not sure who is still doing the cyro stress relief now .

Boolit Master

I know you're probably ahead of me here, but I'd be 110% sure there were no bedding issues before I went to the extreme of rebarreling a rifle to get rid of what shouldn't be an issue in the first place.

Boolit Master

I bought a take off sporter barrel from a factory Rem 700 in 22-250
    for $35.00 !
    The barrel was scuffy looking on the outside but good inside
    When we screwed the barrel into a Rem 722 action,
    the barrel writing was up side down.
    It headspaced just fine
    and will shoot way under an inch for 5 shots at 100 yards.
    A KEEPER !
    Mike
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by C. Latch View Post
    I know you're probably ahead of me here, but I'd be 110% sure there were no bedding issues before I went to the extreme of rebarreling a rifle to get rid of what shouldn't be an issue in the first place.
    Not sure I'd say I'm 100%, but the barrel floats freely and I didn't see any issues with the bedding. It's definitely a snug fit in the stock.

Odd thing is that it shoots decent, but not good enough groups once it's warm. It about drove me nuts trying to get it shot in.

Boolit Master
    crawfobj,

Did you ever get the problem worked out on the Winchester? I've pulled barrels off Rem 700's and replaced with take off barrels and both headspaced fine but did not index correctly (lettering wrong). My Win 70 in .375 is push feed (hate it) and not sure what changes are involved between it and the Classic M 70 but I would not hesitate to remove the barrel and replace it with a take-off barrel.

Boolit Master

I found a stainless takeoff barrel, but haven't had a chance to work on it yet. It it doesn't work out, I'm not out much, so why not? I'll have a smith build it if it doesn't work.

Boolit Master

A thought early in the morning
    Why not cryo the present barrel??
    Mike
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95