Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyRepackbox
Lee PrecisionWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Load Data Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can you download 44 Mag cases to 44 special load data?

Can you download 44 Mag cases to 44 special load data?

Instead of buying 44 special brass, can I download 44 Mag to 44 special loads? Or it it be dangerous?

Thanks

Boolit Master
    My answer is ...... almost.

I load my .44 mag brass to about 100 fps faster than .44 spec. levels on light loads and find the cartridge to be very flexible at just about any power level right on up to max. by using different powders and primer types. I have not used Trail Boss in the .44 mag but there is no reason it won't work. I have used it in the .480 Ruger and ..... quite frankly found it boring ...... for the most recoil sensitive ...... it would be a god send most likely.

For my light loading, I like Clays. I use a fair amount of Titegroup at a level a little higher. Then I switch to Unique at Skeeter Skelton levels (8.5 gr. with a .250 gr. cast boolit, where as a 44 special load by him was 7.5 gr. and the same weight boolit) and next up the ladder is my all time favorite ..... HS-6. That powder is better for lead than cranking up Unique from the Skeeter loads.

I round the upper end out with 2400 and H110.

I will probably be trying some Lil'Gun in the near future to see if I am missing a good bet there as it should compete head to head at the upper end.

Viva the great .44 mag.

Three 44s

Perma-Banned

I just run the lightest load that is listed for the 44 mag. I use unique or bullseye they make for great plinkers with a 250 grain keith. I do have 44 special and do load them but recently have just been loading the mag brass.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by huntersdog View Post
    Instead of buying 44 special brass, can I download 44 Mag to 44 special loads? Or it it be dangerous?

Thanks
    Just curious, but why would you want to? I can see having a plinking load that's relatively light or mid-range for the mag, but if you want something approximately equal to 44 Special loads I'd get a 44 Special. A lot of 44 Specials are built on smaller and lighter frames than the mags and thus are more pleasant to tote around. Just my $.02.

Gene

Boolit Man
    I do . . . and usually add about 1/2 to 1 grain of powder over the max listed for the .44 special. Use it for beginner .44 mag shooter and when they are comfortable with it . . . Work them up to full loads. . .

Boolit Bub
    If you want to use special data, just match special overall length by deep seating and you're good to go.

Hey huntersdog
    We can and do load 44 mag at and below 44 special load levels. A favorite of many here shooting Lawnsteel is running right at 800 fps with a 215 gr Keith type semiwad. Using Red dot, Bullseye, AA #2, Promo, Unique, 700X, Win 231 and a smattering of some other fast burn rate powders. With the small amount of propellant it is important to consider the load as position sensitive. There are several positive considerations when choosing to download a big 44 mag handgun. Maybe a thread on that very subject someday.
    Roy

Boolit Grand Master
    Yes you can load Mag brass to 44 Special velocities. 6.0 grains of Red Dot or 8.0 grains of Unique will push a 240-250 grain boolit down range quite handily. Those two loads work so well for me in that application that I haven't used any others. Generally, just add one grain to the top listed 44 Special load for a fast to medium pistol powder and you should be good to go for a lighter recoiling cartridge. I use 429-383 boolits for this, to distinguish them from the hunting boolits I cast,usually SWC's or HP's.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Instead of buying 44 special brass, can I download 44 Mag to 44 special loads? Or it it be dangerous? Thanks
    It works just fine, as long as you are using powders which are suitable at lower pressure and which tolerate the increased free airspace in the case. The fine grained, slower burning spheroidal powders are H110 or 296 should NOT be reduced below published loads in the .44 Magnum. You can reduce Alliant #2400 down to about 15.5-16 grains with a 240-260 grain bullet and that works fine in the .44 Magnum.

For lighter bullets or velocities below 1000 fps in revolvers, it is best to use a faster pistol or shotgun powder such as Unique or Bullseye. I use 7 grains of Bullseye with any cast lead bullet from 200 to 260 grains in my .44 Magnums and it is accurate and shoots well. You can get similar results with 8-9 grains of Unique or 10 grains of Herco.

Any currently published smokeless charge listed for the .44-40 can be loaded in the .44 Magnum case. While the .44 Magnum case has about 8% less capacity than the .44-40, which will raise pressure somewhat, .44-40 pressures are very mild, compared to the .44 Magnum, even the "Group 2" loads listed for the Winchester 92 are only about 25,000 psi. Any pressure increase caused by increased loading density in the smaller .44 Magnum case will be well within safe design limits for the .44 Magnum.

A charge of 15.5 grains of #2400 is a standard pressure Group 1 .44-40 load with a 200 grain bullet. When loaded in .44 Magnum brass is about the minimum charge which will ignite and burn properly and it actualkly performs better in the .44 Magnum with a standard-weight 240-260-grain bulet such as the Saeco #430. It is perfectly OK to use this charge, a bit below published .44 Magnum start levels, with cast bullets up to about 270 grains in the .44 Magnum and it shoots very well.

I gave away all my .44 Special brass to cowboy shooters years ago.

I have found that "medium velocity" loads assembled in .44 Magnum brass are more accurate than attempting to use the shorter .44 Special cases in .44 Magnum chambers.
    Last edited by Outpost75; 01-10-2015 at 10:49 AM.

Boolit Master
    Another advantage of using .44 mag cases for light loads as opposed to using .44 Special brass, is you don't get the crud build-up in your cylinder where the .44 Special case ends. Some folks find that they really have to clean their cylinders after shooting .44 Special cases, before they can even chamber .44 mag rounds.
    It's all chicken, even the beak!

Boolit Buddy
    I load light 44 loads in 44 Mag brass using 44-40 load data. The 44-40 case has slightly more case volume than the 44 Mag so the space issue is moot in my opinion. The 44-40 load data is slightly lower than the 44 Special. This gives light recoil, easily managed loads to start someone off with or for Cowboy Action shooting quick recovery and fast follow ups.
    I have used a 200g cast RNPF with Clays, Red Dot, Blue dot, Unique, ect. for this application.
    So I have been loading 44 Mag brass from 200g light loads at 44-40 levels to hot 300g 44 Mag levels, rifle and pistol, no problem. YMMV.
    My justification is no crud ring in chamber, as has been mentioned, functionality thru lever actions, availability of 44 mag vs 44 Spl brass, and comparisons of case volume.
    CF
    Vote Independent, vote Republican, vote Democratic, just don’t vote Incumbent!
    I believe in the Bible, Freedom, the Constitution, the Bill of Rights and personal responsibility. My government believes I am narrow minded, intolerant and dangerous.

Banned

Yes and using mag brass will even be a little more accurate.

Huntersdog: I shoot a 41mag not a 44 but 357, 41 and 44mag share a common case length. What I do in my 41mag(sure you could do the same in 44) when I want to down load is I cut down some brass that's become worn due to many crimps to what would be 41spl. and get a little better powder burn and a few more uses out of my brass. 38spl,44spl, why not 41spl. Works fine in my BH. GP

Boolit Master

6 grains or tite group with a 250 grain Keith bullet will make you very happy in the light load department.
    Hate is like drinking poison and hoping the other man dies.

*Cohesiveness* *Leadership* *a common cause***

***In a gunfight your expected to be an active participant in your own rescue***

The effective range of an excuse is ZERO Meters

Boolit Master

Seems to me every tid bit of info I could offer on this has already been given but I do agree that for the most part using mag brass in gun so chambered seems to give an accuracy advantage, bullseye and unique are great for light .44 mag/special loads and your pound of powder will last longer down loading like that and it makes for longer, better range sessions and won't scare off new shooters, kids or ladies.

Sure you can, many thousands of us have been doing it for decades. Just use a faster powder like Bulleye, 231, Unique, AA5 or the like. It will take just a smidgen more powder for the same velocity due to the increased air space. It doesn't make a lick of sense to shoot 44 Special cases in 44 Magnum charge holes. With the magnum case, you will get better accuracy and cleaner charge holes.

The 44 Magnum round is marvelous in that it will deliver sterling accuracy all the way up the power chart.

For 44 Special loads I use 6.2 grains of Bulleye under a 240 grain SWC . There is nothing magic or special about 6.2 grains, it is the same charge I used in my 45 Colt loads and I keep a Lyman 55 measure set up to throw that charge.

For moderate 44 Magnum loads at 1,000 to 1,100 fps I use 10 grains of Unique or 11 grains of AA5 under the same bullets.

Elmer Keith liked 5 grains of Bulleye under his 240 grain bullets for his "target" loads.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 44man View Post
    Yes and using mag brass will even be a little more accurate.
    Short, to the point, and accurate information right there.
    Group Buy Honcho for: 9x135 Slippery, 45x200 Target (H&G68), 45x230 Gov't Profile, 44x265 Keith

E-mail or PM me if you have one of the following commemorative Glocks you'd like to sell: FBI 100yr, Bell Helo, FOP Lodge1, Kiowa Warrior, SCI, and any new/unknown-to-me commemoratives.

Boolit Master

Can you download 44 Mag cases to 44 special load data

Thanks

Yes the 44 mag can be loade to 44 special ballistic levels

I've been shooting 8 gr of Unique behind 250 gr Keiths in mag cases for a while now after reading about it here. It's a lot of fun and accurate at the (close) ranges I've been shooting at. Cheap also....

Boolit Buddy
    Low level lever gun data:

http://www.gmdr.com/lever/lowveldata.htm