WidenersRepackboxTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can you download 44 Mag cases to 44 special load data?

Boolit Master

If you load it to the same OAL, you can use .44 special load data in the .44 mag.

Although the .44 mag brass is slightly (i.e. 1/8") longer, if you look at the specs, .44 special has a very slightly (0.005") longer OAL than .44 mag. For .44 mag, the max OAL is 1.610" and for the .44 special it is 1.615".

http://www.saami.org/PubResources/CC...%20Special.pdf
    http://www.saami.org/PubResources/CC...n%20Magnum.pdf

I found that that to be curiously interesting.

As such, it would be possible to load .44 special brass to .44 mag pressures as long as you were only using it in a .44 mag firearm. I suspect that if you were to attempt to do that though, you would want to do it in a firearm where the case was fully supported (e.g. revolver, single-shot, etc). I don't own a .44 special and as such, I do not have any .44 special brass, so I've never tried this though.

Banned
    As has been accurately stated in this thread; yes, you can download 44 mag. I routinely do just that and use about 8.0 grains of unique behind a RCBS 250 SWC. That is my "do it all load" for 44. That load is a little over 44 Special guidelines but perfectly acceptable in good quality 44 Special guns and any 44 magnum.
    As covered, if you use 44 Special load data in 44 magnum cases; the additional case volume will translate into lower pressures assuming all other variables are the same.

"Moderator Emeritus"

I have been loading Lyman's 429667 bullet over 7.0 grains of Trail Boss for approx. 850 FPS in R-P magnum cases, Win LP primers, and fired out of a 4" Redhawk. Pretty much duplicates the 44 Special and 45 ACP ballistics. I have no complaints.
    Krag35

I have never met a dishonest dog.

Expatriate, in my own country.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by NavyVet1959 View Post
    If you load it to the same OAL, you can use .44 special load data in the .44 mag.

Although the .44 mag brass is slightly (i.e. 1/8") longer, if you look at the specs, .44 special has a very slightly (0.005") longer OAL than .44 mag. For .44 mag, the max OAL is 1.610" and for the .44 special it is 1.615".

http://www.saami.org/PubResources/CC...%20Special.pdf
    http://www.saami.org/PubResources/CC...n%20Magnum.pdf

I found that that to be curiously interesting.

As such, it would be possible to load .44 special brass to .44 mag pressures as long as you were only using it in a .44 mag firearm. I suspect that if you were to attempt to do that though, you would want to do it in a firearm where the case was fully supported (e.g. revolver, single-shot, etc). I don't own a .44 special and as such, I do not have any .44 special brass, so I've never tried this though.
    There you go thinking again!

Navy Vet make a fantastic point.

When Elmer Keith designed his version of the SWC bullet, he put a long driving band ahead of the case mouth and still had room in the COAL area to put a decent-length SWC nose out past it. In BOTH the 357 Magnum AND the 44 Magnum, the gun and cartridge companies extended the case length, but not the cylinder length (or perhaps it's more accurate to say the cylinder window in the frame) so much. This results in the Magnums' cylinders having a shorter throat and losing the ability to have that forward driving band sticking out of the case mouth to engage the throat and center the cartridge in the chamber.

How this relates to the question at hand: Since the COALs are so similar, there is NO NEED to deeper-seat the bullets, as the COALs are nearly identical. What winds up happening when you use Magnum brass, is that you HAVE to seat the bullets deeper, whether you are using light Special loads or the full magnum loads.

That's why several of us said to just load the special loads in the magnum brass and use the magnum COAL...
    Group Buy Honcho for: 9x135 Slippery, 45x200 Target (H&G68), 45x230 Gov't Profile, 44x265 Keith

E-mail or PM me if you have one of the following commemorative Glocks you'd like to sell: FBI 100yr, Bell Helo, FOP Lodge1, Kiowa Warrior, SCI, and any new/unknown-to-me commemoratives.

where can I find load data on line without using data found on forums?
    keep on rolling along.no matter what happens just keep rolling

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Quote Originally Posted by catkiller45 View Post
    where can I find load data on line without using data found on forums?
    Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook 4th Edition (2010)
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by huntersdog View Post
    Instead of buying 44 special brass, can I download 44 Mag to 44 special loads? Or it it be dangerous?

Thanks
    Of course you can. The only caveat is when using 296 or H110 powder. Those need to be loaded to 95% case capacity to avoid a rare phenomenon of double ignition which can spike pressures enough to blow up your gun. Stick with Unique, Titegroup, Trail Boss and other fast to medium burn rate powders and you'll be fine.

Boolit Master
    Alliant also has data online for light 44mag loads.
    http://www.alliantpowder.com/default.aspx

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Lots of older load data out there on the web also on https://archive.org/ among other sites. IMO a good set of reloading manuals is a good idea as you can "Sanity Check" loads you find on the web, none of us want a "KABOOM" at ALL.

I am using 4.5 700X and a 200 lee fp bullet in a 44 mag. case for cowboy action. I drop that to 4.2 in a 44 special case out of colt single actions. Cases of expand enough to not be sooty. Works for me.

Quote Originally Posted by huntersdog View Post
    Instead of buying 44 special brass, can I download 44 Mag to 44 special loads? Or it it be dangerous?

Thanks
    Shure you can. Nothing dangerous about it. It will take a smidge more powder in the magnum case to get the same velocity as the shorter Special case. The 44 Magnum is a wonderful round that will deliver sterling accuracy and up and down the pressure/velocity curve. For 44 Special loads in Magnum cases best stick to faster pistol powders like Bullsye and Unique.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Man
    If you contact Hodgdon, they have a table of reduced loads for shotgun and rifle data.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by oldsalt444 View Post
    Of course you can. The only caveat is when using 296 or H110 powder. Those need to be loaded to 95% case capacity to avoid a rare phenomenon of double ignition which can spike pressures enough to blow up your gun. Stick with Unique, Titegroup, Trail Boss and other fast to medium burn rate powders and you'll be fine.
    While you're absolutely correct on the use of faster powders for .44 special like loads, the risk with downloading H110/W296 is not overpressure spikes--it's squibs/misfires.

Boolit Master
    This is a resurrected 4 year old thread, with the new question being where to find online load data from authoritative sources (my paraphrasing the question from Catkiller45).

Onelight recommended Alliant's online data at: http://www.alliantpowder.com/default.aspx
    Hodgdon has theirs at: https://www.hodgdonreloading.com/data/pistol

A lot of people look down their noses at load data posted on forums like Castboolits because anyone can post anything. While that's certainly true, the other thing you need to understand is that the vast majority of members will call out dangerous or otherwise erroneous load data that's been posted. You could think of it as "peer review".

That said, NEVER take any load at face value, whether it comes from a web forum or from a published load manual from one of the big guys. I have noted erroenous load data in EVERY single published reloading manual I have--Lyman, Speer, etc. It's rare, but it happens in all of them. If you find a load that you think you want to try, ALWAYS cross check it with other manuals, and/or online sources as a sanity check.

Just my $.02. Stay safe.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by hendere View Post
    I've been shooting 8 gr of Unique behind 250 gr Keiths in mag cases for a while now after reading about it here. It's a lot of fun and accurate at the (close) ranges I've been shooting at. Cheap also....
    I run 7.5 gr under a 250 keiths style and yes lots of fun
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Boolit Master
    It is interesting that these topics come up from time to time for all three of the 'original' magnums (.357, .41, .44).

I seem to remember in one of the Dirty Harry movies he says he downloads his .44 Mag ammo for target shooting.

I do the same for my .357 magnums, usually use loads around .38spl +P loads.

The one thing to keep in mind is point of impact change. If I load a .357 too light I can't adjust the sights enough to hit the target. And, if you want to accurately hit with magnum loads, such as for self defense or hunting, make sure you check POI with your full up loads.
    s

Absolutely you can. I load 44 mag with 8.0 (standard load) - 8.5 (a little snappier) gr WW231 over H&G #503 250gr Keith bullet.
    Shoot them by the thousands!
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ejcrist View Post
    Just curious, but why would you want to? I can see having a plinking load that's relatively light or mid-range for the mag, but if you want something approximately equal to 44 Special loads I'd get a 44 Special. A lot of 44 Specials are built on smaller and lighter frames than the mags and thus are more pleasant to tote around. Just my $.02.

Gene
    I had to switch over to light 44 Mag loads after I got my Rossi R92. It would not feed 44 Special; otherwise I'd have stuck to all 44 Special loadings. I did a little testing and came up with .431" Oregon Trail laser cast 240 gr swc's and 7 grains of Unique. In the 5 pound Rossi it averaged out at 1150 fps which was pleasant to shoot, and minimal recoil. And it's quite accurate in the Rossi.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by ejcrist View Post
    Just curious, but why would you want to? I can see having a plinking load that's relatively light or mid-range for the mag, but if you want something approximately equal to 44 Special loads I'd get a 44 Special. A lot of 44 Specials are built on smaller and lighter frames than the mags and thus are more pleasant to tote around. Just my $.02.

Gene
    Well when you buy a 44 magnum when your in your twenty's and now your in you mid fifty's you tend to not push it as much besides
    I like my SBH and just like to shoot it
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by LUCKYDAWG13 View Post
    Well when you buy a 44 magnum when your in your twenty's and now your in you mid fifty's you tend to not push it as much besides
    I like my SBH and just like to shoot it
    Ahh, the wisdom we gain over the years! I like my Model 29 just fine with the Skeeter Skelton .44 Special load in Magnum cases. All the power I need for 90% of my shooting chores without the wear and tear on me or my revolver.

Howard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12