RotoMetals2Load DataInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingRepackboxLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Wideners
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Load Suggestions for 38 Special w/ unique powder

Boolit Master

Low Budget Shooter, Mtnfolk75, DrCaveman, Jeepyj
    THX for that loading.

I put 5 grains of #105 ( one of the old milsup versions of Unique) behind the 358477's I bought here recently in Winchester nickel cases and they did great out of a 6" S&W Model 66 at 50 so I came back to the house to load more.
    They still shot great at 110 (9" low though) so I came back and loaded all of the Winchester nickle brass I had.

Thanks for a solid plinker with no recoil. With all the data points I will not have chronograph any to have a feel. Looks like 900 fps range depending on the gun and since I will be using 4" - 7 1/2" inch it will fit the bill if all like the load like the Model 66 did.

Thanx again

BE CAREFUL WHEN YOU SEE MY POWDER WAS #105, AS I REMEMBER IT THERE IS ANOTHER VERSION OF #105 THAT IS AA#2 SPEED. The powder I am talking about is round greenish gray flakes.
    Last edited by TCLouis; 01-11-2015 at 12:03 PM. Reason: Add/change some info
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

I checked out the MD Smith site. Lots of good info there.

Thanks to all for the help. I am in the process of loading up some rounds now, but it may be next week before I get to shoot them. I'll let you know how it goes.

Boolit Grand Master
    Nothing wrong with asking for load suggestions from members here on the forum, but if you don't already have one ( or 2 or 3, or 4 ) good loading manuals, you need to get one ( or some ).

Ben

You are welcome. I was give this reference when I got into reloading a couple years ago and have used it quite a bit.

Boolit Master

For many years a 150 grn Lee SWC was my go to load for 38 SPL was 4 grains of unique hot but was accurate killed many B27's and snowshoe hares (a nice 358 hole thru the chest) no meat waste

I finally got an opportunity to shoot my reloads. I loaded 4.5 gr and 5 gr rounds with the 158 LSWC bullets. I seated them to an OAL length of 1.470 inches. Through my GP100 I saw very little difference between the loads and the felt recoil was modest at best with both. Other than the fact that Unique is a dirty, smoky powder, I am really happy with this recipe. I wasn't able to chronograph them though.

Thanks to everyone for your input.

Boolit Master

Looks like 4-5 is the sweet spot. My wife's home modified Taurus snub will shoot 6" groups at 40 yards with a hand rest with 4.6 grains under the Lee tl 158. Make you look like a hero to the "snubs can't hit a barn" boys.
    "In God we trust, in all others, check the manual!"

Quote Originally Posted by highnoon View Post
    I finally got an opportunity to shoot my reloads. I loaded 4.5 gr and 5 gr rounds with the 158 LSWC bullets. I seated them to an OAL length of 1.470 inches. Through my GP100 I saw very little difference between the loads and the felt recoil was modest at best with both. Other than the fact that Unique is a dirty, smoky powder, I am really happy with this recipe. I wasn't able to chronograph them though.

Thanks to everyone for your input.
    If Unique is "dirty and smokey" then you need more of it. When Unique reaches the pressure it likes it is exceptionally clean. JW

Boolit Master

Welcome to our humble site!!! First I'd like to commend you on finding unquie!!! Second buy all you can, haven't seen any on shelves in 2-3 years. And I'd like to give you a magic formula but 4-5 seems to be the ticket and it works in any gun I've stuck it in!!!

Boolit Buddy
    Welcome, my go to load with unique is 4.6 grains under a lee tumble lube RN or SWC. Fired in a s&w 15-4, tuned up gun with a red dot scope. it will shoot .8 inch 10 shot groups at 25 yds rested. I started at 4.2,4.4,4.6,4.8 and 5.0. closest group size to the 4.6 load was the 4.4 load and it was over 1.5 inch. I know you didn't ask for another powder choice but fyi another load for 158's is bullseye 3.2 gives equal size groups in my gun with federal brass. my alloy for unique load is range lead alloyed up to 11 brinell. the bullseye load is same range lead alloyed up to 15 brinell. Seems the other post bears out the 4.5 range as a sweet spot. Good luck.
    Tony

Boolit Master
    Unique a.k.a "Flaming Dirt" but accurate if my loads.

Quote Originally Posted by Idaho Mule View Post
    If Unique is "dirty and smokey" then you need more of it. When Unique reaches the pressure it likes it is exceptionally clean. JW
    That's a little scary. I was using 9, 9.5, and 10 gr loads of unique in a 44mag load with a 240 gr LSWC bullet through my Ruger Super Redhawk. The 9 and 9.5 grain loads shot fine, but the 10 grain was a little on the stiff side. I also noticed with 10 grains, the cases were expanding enough to make removal from the cylinder a little difficult. I didn't notice any signs of overpressure, but I feel I am getting to the top of a safe load. With all that said, I saw no reduction in the smokiness of the powder.

4.7 grs Unique and 158 gr lswc, max std velocity loading. Use medium heavy crimp to ensure good powder burn.

Boolit Master
    I'm going to be a little outside of the majority of suggestions, here, but for a GP 100...5.5 gr. Unique, standard primers, 357 mag brass, 4" barrel, 150-160 gr lswc. 860 chronoed fps, Hundreds of rounds shot in S&W 19, Dan Wesson, S&W 586, GP 100. I am considering upping the load to 6.0 gr. just because I can, but then I take two aspirins, and ask myself "WHY?" The jury is still out on that one.
    IT IS A FINE AND PLEASANT MADNESS !

Boolit Buddy
    I believe it was Skeeter Skelton who said that 5.0 grs of Unique with a 158 gr bullet was " the working mans load " . That load was always worked well for me , so I will continue to use 5.0 . It gives me 1400 rounds to a pound of powder .

Boolit Master

Elmer also used 5gr but with his heavier bullet. He used the same load with his hollow point at 160gr......
    Last edited by ddixie884; 08-12-2020 at 01:50 PM. Reason: I still can't type
    JMHO-YMMV
    dd884
    gary@2texastrucks.com
    Gary D. Peek

Boolit Buddy

5.3gr. Unique underneath my 36-127Q (actual weight is 128gr.) bullet lubed with LLA and a coat of Rooster Jacket produced the group in my avatar. This is probably too stout for an alloy frame but is very comfortable in a steel frame revolver.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by nagantguy View Post
    Welcome to our humble site!!! First I'd like to commend you on finding unquie!!! Second buy all you can, haven't seen any on shelves in 2-3 years. And I'd like to give you a magic formula but 4-5 seems to be the ticket and it works in any gun I've stuck it in!!!
    Unique is probably getting hard to find about now.........
    JMHO-YMMV
    dd884
    gary@2texastrucks.com
    Gary D. Peek

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Regards
    John

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by highnoon View Post
    That's a little scary. I was using 9, 9.5, and 10 gr loads of unique in a 44mag load with a 240 gr LSWC bullet through my Ruger Super Redhawk. The 9 and 9.5 grain loads shot fine, but the 10 grain was a little on the stiff side. I also noticed with 10 grains, the cases were expanding enough to make removal from the cylinder a little difficult. I didn't notice any signs of overpressure, but I feel I am getting to the top of a safe load. With all that said, I saw no reduction in the smokiness of the powder.
    I remember trying one of John Taffin's recipes using 10 grains of Unique under a 300 grain boolit. Shot a wheel full and took the rest apart. 9 grs. with a 240 gr. boolit is a good working load in my Super Blackhawk. 7 works nicely in a .44 special.
    "If everyone is thinking the same thing it means someone is not thinking"

"A rat became the unit of currency"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast