Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Load Data
RepackboxSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Wideners Reloading Everything
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Just the facts: Lube recipes

Boolit Mold

Question mix

Hey, Maybe I'm like others that don't want to say, but they add what they have on hand.
    OK, this is what I have on hand:
    100% Bees wax,
    Candle wax,
    Petroleum jelly,
    spray graphite,
    various auto oils,
    and etc.
    So what can I do with this?
    I only want to avoid leading on my cast bullets, (soft lead).

Boolit Master
    Where can you buy the ingredients like parafin, beeswax, carnuba, jojoba, etc......?

Someone posted that parafin doesn't work well for higher velocities. Can beeswax be an alternate ingredient?

Quote Originally Posted by Lefty SRH View Post
    Where can you buy the ingredients like parafin, beeswax, carnuba, jojoba, etc......?

Someone posted that parafin doesn't work well for higher velocities. Can beeswax be an alternate ingredient?
    ummm i almost posted this in a PM ... as this thread is primarily for recipes ,in our vendor sponsor list is randyrat's offerings .... he also offers a ummm "kit" with the harder to find ingredients ( for some folks ) and he's also a member and a great guy to deal with !! paraffin is available in many places from candle remnants to the canning section at most larger grocery stores a,d actually beeswax is preferred and paraffin a distant second , google searches can also be your friend , i recommend Mystic Mountain Sage , good stuff and good prices and swiftness and shipping only second to randyrat ( randy has the packaging down to a art form IMHO ) many many things can and will work for lube - the higher the desired velocity the more finicky it becomes , fair warning - many people try and they throw everything "slick" in there they can think of yet i found out the hard way one can make too slick of a lube ( but that makes great flux for smelting lolz )
    Je suis Charlie

" To sit in judgment of those things which you perceive to be wrong or imperfect is to be one more person who is part of judgment, evil or imperfection."
    Wayne Dyer
    if it was easy would it be as worthy ? or as long of lasting impression ? the hardest of lessons are the best of teachers [shrugz]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLzFhOslZPM

Boolit Master

Hey Mike, I was going to make some MML but the link for the micro wax does not work. Any ideas where to get it? http://www.blendedwaxes.com/blendedw...ne/default.asp

Boolit Grand Master
    OK, here is my lube recipie. It is just a blend of lubes that you can currently purchase. I use two sticks of CR, one super moly, as I like a bit of moly, one lbt soft and one vodoo lube, for its synthetic component.
    It needs a heater for my Star, but is OK in my 450 if its not too cold.
    Started using 1 stick CR, but a bit too soft.

I call it "Midnight Blue"

It works pretty good with rifle, even up to 2600fps in my 357Max. I use it also, in my 50 Cal. No leading.

Boolit Grand Master

where to get beeswax

Here in Louisiana and Florida too, It's available from beekeepers. There are vendors at local farmers markets and a few small shops that mainly sell honey, They use the beeswax , which is sort of a by product, to make candles , hand rubs , and whatever else they can think of to sell but are very happy to sell you the raw wax. I found the beekeepers in my area by googling " local honey producers " and that led to a local organization of beekeepers , phone nos. , addresses , web sites etc.

Good luck.....gary

Boolit Mold
    My lube is
    50% beeswax
    25% beef tallow
    15% coconut oil
    5 % olive oil or jojoba oil
    5% lanolin.
    I use it in my 45-70 Sharps (BP ammo) and 45 LC BP BP ammo.Works great.

Here's my mixture, works very well for pan lubing... All warmed up in a saucepan together

One third paraffin wax
    One third beeswax
    One third petroleum jelly
    Splash of STP
    Big splash of olive oil
    Dollop of Wonderlube

But for single shot rifles like the .310 cadet or my 45-90 rolling block..

One third the above mixture
    Add two thirds petroleum jelly

Then dip each bullet into the sticky mess before putting it in the breech. Saves getting wax all over your brass, and will shoot 50+ shots with no loss of accuracy.
    Picking up primers one by one....

8 parts beeswax
    4 parts paraffin
    2 parts marvel mystery oil
    1 part lanolin
    1 crayon, color of your choice

Kurt's Lube.

12 cups melted Soy wax or Ozokerite wax.
    12 oz Petroleum jelly. Vaseline or generic.

Very simple and it works.

Oh My Gosh

Boolit Buddy
    Is there any benefit to mixxing paraffin with beeswax? From what im reading paraffin is a second grade sub. Are there benefits in pariffin that beeswax doesnt have?

L. Bottoms

i have to check some of these out.
    my feedback. ive done a few more but never get feedback.
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...hlight=beex215

Boolit Mold

.22 rimfire lube

Hi Randy,
    I am a new member with no experience on bullet lubing. We are shooting .22 Benchrest with factory lubed competition ammo such as Eley, Lapua, etc. Most shooters clean the barrel after each target. It now takes an additional 5-20"conditioning" shots with the factory pre-lubed ammo to get the best performance. I am thinking about a post cleaning process where you might run a lubed patch or two after cleaning and just prior to shooting to jump start the conditioning process.
    Would you have any ideas on what lube might be tried that would be compatible with the factory .22 lubes?
    Ben

Boolit Bub

Fat rendering

To render mutton or deer or beef tallow, cut the fat into very small pieces (ground is good) and place these pieces in a cheese cloth bag. Weight the bag so that it stays on the bottom. Cover with water and boil carefully so that you do not scorch the fat. The fat with flow through the cheesecloth and leave the debris and cracklins behind. Pour off the tallow and either discard or freeze the bag. When frozen, the debris can be broken off and discarded. The bag can then be reused. The debris can also be used for a fire starter.

Banned

"Big Batch" of Felix lube recipe:

Here's a post by UTK from another thread, he dug up the recipe for the famous "Big Batch of Felix Lube" made by Felix himself many years ago. I don't want it to get lost so I'm going to stick it here for reference:

"I have followed Felix-lube threads almost from the very beginning. Back in 2003 Felix listed all ingredients in his "BIG BATCH":

The batch that was sent out to everyone has the chemistry set as follows:

All super-refined cosmetic grade.

1. 110 pounds of beeswax
    2. 20 pounds of anhydrous lanolin.
    3. 3.5 gallons of mineral oil.
    4. 0.5 gallon of Jojoba oil.
    5. 0.5 gallon of castor oil.
    6. 3 pounds of carnauba.
    7. 2 pounds of (180F degree) micro wax.
    8. 3 bars of Ivory, washing hands size.
    9. 1 pound of Vibar 103.
    10. 1 pound of A-C-100

A lot more ingredients than today's recipe (What is A-C-100?) and different ratios."

Gear

Boolit Mold
    A lubricant I just started making with a good deal of success is as follows:

45% Beeswax
    45% Alox-350
    10% Carnauba Wax (flake form)

Also added some blue candle dye that blended nicely with the beeswax to form nice hunter green color. Made some moulds from 1" PVC and 3/8" dowel, which made excellent lube sizer sticks which flow nicely through my vintage Lyman #45 Lubrisizer. I just crafted this all up last night, and am excited to try it out for 45acp, 357 Mag, 38spl, and 35 Remington.

Boolit Master
    First you have to obtain the earwax from a left-handed Swiss goatherder that yodels.....
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Man

PineTreeGreen

Back about 1985 or so I mixed my first batch of Pine Tree Green(hense the handle).Over the years,I've tried about everything that came down the pike. I'm not sure anything works any better than the original.

1 lb. Beeswax
    13 oz. jar of petroleum jelly
    3 oz. Amsoil 100:1,two cycle oil

Boolit Mold
    hey all, fairly new here, but this is what i use with good effect:

50/50 mix of high performance lithium grease and lucas oil stabilizer,
    with carnuba/ paraffin wax added for desired thickness.

to make it easy, i usually mix the grease and lucas seperate, heat them on a small camp stove, then melt the wax and mix it thoroughly. because i pan lube, i mix in enough wax to make it firm.

edit: i have dubbed it "black magic" because it has about the color of tar.
    Last edited by Hunter57dor; 01-03-2013 at 07:59 PM. Reason: wanted to add a name

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast