RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionWideners
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyPBcastcoInline Fabrication
Load Data Reloading Everything
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Just the facts: Lube recipes

Banned

Old County Legs Lube 301 (BP PATCH LUBE)

Old County Legs Lube #301

BY volumetric measurment:
    50% rendered deer tallow
    50% LouAna brand coconut oil
    I added 1 Fl. Oz natural orange oil to a 1/2 lb batch to make it domestic friendly (I.E. I can make it in the house with out offending SWMBO) and it actually helped make it clean up after itself as you shoot as an added side benefit.

Makes a dandy PRB lube ,so far tested at 30-50 degrees. Very similar in handling/use to Young Country Arms Lube 103 without all the soapy/cetyl alcohol smell of the youngs. I would not call it a direct copy by any means but it acts like the youngs in use.

Boolit Mold

Pan Lubing

I tried Barry Darr's pan lube receipe (parafin, vaseline, STP) but got very poor adhesion to the cast .45 LC bullets from my Lee mold.

There is a similar receipe that adds beeswax - will that increase the 'stickiness' and give better adhesion?

Other options???

This is my first foray into pan lubing - any specific advice would be appreciated.

Happy Trails
    Ken Blue

Boolit Buddy
    I'm new to the forums, just found the link on sixguns. I've been using RCBS green lube with good resuts in a SBH .44 mag and I'm out. I really want to make abatch of my own lube and am wandering what a simple RCBS-like lube would be. I'm thinking 50% Beeswax and 50% Lithium greese(or 1/2 lithium and 1/2 ATF). Am I on the right track? Velocities will be held to 1400fps with Keith style slugs. Thanks in advance,
    Eddie
    Be the bullet...

Boolit Grand Master
    Ken, I think you'll do better on both adhesion and lubrication by staying away from those petrochemicals and going to beeswax and crisco with anhydrous lanolin added in small amounts to make it sticky... this is the basis of Emmert's Lube with which I have had very good success doing pan lubing. Try 50%, 40%, and 10% respectively or even 50/45/5 as a starting place.

Eddie, the same advice ought to work for you as well! I'm not at all experienced with lithium grease and ATF in bullet lubes, but since you already have the beeswax, you're 1/3 of the way to Emmert's also.

Froggie

Boolit Buddy
    Just made a batch of Beeswax/lithium moly greese lube. I used 16oz wax and one 14 oz tube of grease. Lube set and feels a little sticky but seems to be like RCBS lube. Going to size/lube some Keith bullets and give it a try.
    Be the bullet...

Boolit Buddy
    what speed range will felix lube cover?????????

I have found if your Beeswax / Petro grease lube is too soft and sticky, you can remelt and add a little parrafin wax to stiffen it up a bit. my wife thinks I am crazy too...
    "These are not hi-capacity magazines, these are standard capacity magazines. High capacity is belt fed from the can."

Boolit Buddy
    My wife's favorite lube idea. makes the range smell beautiful

1 part beeswax.
    1 part parafin
    1/2 vasoline
    1 tbsp stp oil treatment.
    couple crayons.
    1 tbsp of lavender oil.
    Whoever Smelt it, Delt it -----Greenhorn44

---When Life Gives You Lemons, You Supposed to Make Lemonade, with a 17HMR------Greenhorn44

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulltipper View Post
    I have found if your Beeswax / Petro grease lube is too soft and sticky, you can remelt and add a little parrafin wax to stiffen it up a bit. my wife thinks I am crazy too...
    Carnuba wax works well in fact I really like it.
    NRA LIFER .. "THE CAST BULLET HANDLOADER IS THE ONLY ONE THAT REALLY MAKES ANY OF HIS AMMUNITION. OTHERS MEARLY ASSEMBLE IT". -E.H. HARRISON

----------------------
    "Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
    Thomas Jefferson
    ------
    "Government is not a solution to our problem, government is the problem."
    -- Ronald Reagan

Boolit Buddy
    I've been using the following:

Beeswax 100 grams
    Carnuaba wax 10 grams
    Lanolin 10 grams
    Marvels Mystery Oil 10 grams

The Marvels Mystery Oil just happened to be what I had on hand when I decided the other three ingredients were a little too stiff on their own. The lube is nice and sticky, stays put and works just fine in my lubrisizer. Just gently melt them all together and color with a crayon if you like it pretty.

I've been using it for pistol and rifle (up to about 1500 fps) and have seen absolutely zero leading.
    Accuracy has been fine as well.

Boolit Mold

So many great recipes I might have to try one or two of these. I have used Red Rooster and SPG in the past but have wanted to make my own for some time now I guess I have no more excuses!

And for those wondering about Japan Wax(as I was) it's not from the Brazilian (Carnauba) palm It comes from a berry of a type of sumac tree native to Japan and China.

Japan wax

That product is not a true wax but is more like a vegetable tallow found in the kernel and outer skin of the berries of Rhus and Toxicodendron species, including those yielding Japanese lacquer. It contains a high amount of palmitic acid triglycerides (93-97%), long chain dicarboxylic acids including C22 and C23 chains (4-5.5%) and free alcohols (12-1.6%). Its melting point is 45-53°C. That wax is much used in Japan in cosmetics, ointments and to make candles but becomes rancid with age.

Great info about Waxes and other Esters
    http://www.cyberlipid.org/wax/wax0001.htm

Politicians don't keep this country free, The Military does!!
    GOD BLESS the United States Armed Forces!

Boolit Bub
    Which one of these would good for tumble lubing?

Boolit Buddy
    I'm looking for a decent panlubing forumla that I can use for 9mm Lee TC lubegroove bullets. Beeswax for some reason is unreasonably expensive around these parts. I have at my disposal: 'mary' candles, vaseline, alox, and johnson's paste wax. I'm sure I can find crisco too if a forumla needs that.

I've also planned on making the Recluse tumble lube, but am not hearing nice things about it in 9mm...

Thanks!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by CiDirkona View Post
    I'm looking for a decent panlubing forumla that I can use for 9mm Lee TC lubegroove bullets. Beeswax for some reason is unreasonably expensive around these parts. I have at my disposal: 'mary' candles, vaseline, alox, and johnson's paste wax. I'm sure I can find crisco too if a forumla needs that.

I've also planned on making the Recluse tumble lube, but am not hearing nice things about it in 9mm...

Thanks!
    Trying to make a "decent" boolit loob without beeswax and/or microcrystalline wax is like trying to drive with your eyes shut IMHO. Seek out RandyRat here on the forum for some good beeswax or go to blendedwaxes.com and get some microwax #430....better yet do both of those things. Beeswax and microwax both make a great base wax but a combination of the two will allow you to do anything you want with a loob.

Boolit Buddy

Bob Roller Recipe from DGW

I found this recipe in the #158 (2009) Dixie Gun Works Catalog:
    Listed as "Bob Roller's Bullet Lube"

1 pound beeswax
    1 pound white Crisco
    1 pound Mutton Tallow
    5 oz. Bag Balm

Mix all ingredients in a large pan over low heat.
    Works well with Black Powder or Smokeless.
    used for over 50 years.

Boolit Buddy

R.A. Steindler Reloaders Guide Recipe

Taken from R.A Steindler's Reloader Guide :

1/3 Beeswax
    1/3 Paraffin
    1/3 Cosmolene

"Papa Jack"

Boolit Buddy

Richard Hoch recipe

I think I found this recipe in an old "Handloader Magazine", not sure the issue number.
    I have used this recipe til I ran out , it seemed to work very well for me. I made two batches... I was almost out of the RCBS lube so I substituted "Power Punch" oil additive ( kinda like "STP")... According to the writer, the Vaseline acts as a "Plastisizer" to prevent Flaking of the Paraffin...He says to melt the lube and pour it into the lubricator, it works smoothly and is stable under various temperatures. ( I made sticks and used it as as a Pan Lube, prior to buying my Lyman lubricator.

Richard Hoch is a GunSmith ( Mold Maker ) from Montrose, Colorado .

1 lb. Paraffin
    1 Lb. Vaseline
    2 table spoons RCBS Case sizing lube

Writer: Ralph J. Lelii, New Castle PA.

"Papa Jack"

Boolit Master

Elkins 'Red Hot' lube

This is my most satisfactory creation yet:

8 oz beeswax
    4 oz Coastal pale brown lithium grease
    1 tablespoon stearic acid
    4 heaping tablespoons carnauba wax flakes
    1 tablespoon anhydrous lanolin
    2 red crayons

Melt lithium grease first as much as possible, then add beeswax and other ingredients. Mix to incorporate the lithium grease if it makes little clumps, then let cool in the pot. Remelt and pour into hollow stick molds, or whatever shapes you use for storage.

The remelting is important because it really helps to homogenize the melt and eliminate the little globules of grease that might remain otherwise.

This lube need a touch of heat to flow well in my 4500 and it hangs into the grooves well for storage. Initial results in 44 magnum and 357 Sig have been very good. I have not tried it at rifle velocities yet, so no info there, but I have high hopes.

Boolit Master
    I use Emments lube to pan lube 41 mag 32 Mag 45 ACP. it is neat( no bad smell or hard clean up) Bullets look purdy. Look on Cast Pics web site . Follow the article. Works great. i tried to pan lube many times. never worked........Article from Single Shot Rifle Journal "Pan lubing a piece of cake" I believe in "Kiss" Keep it simple stupid"
    Last edited by Shooter6br; 08-12-2010 at 10:05 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by BCM45 View Post
    Which one of these would good for tumble lubing?
    Can something like acetone be used as a evaporating solvent to liquify some of these lubes so they can be used as a tumble lube? Jeffrey

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast