Inline FabricationWidenersLoad DataRepackbox
Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
RotoMetals2 Reloading Everything

Thread: Need opinions on an RF boolit choice for 38/357 mag

Need opinions on an RF boolit choice for 38/357 mag

I am looking at 3 different boolit molds.
    Number one is Lee 358-158-RF
    Number two is Lyman 358665
    Number three is NOE-360-160-WFN

If you have experience with these three I would like to hear it.
    Which might be the most accurate or is there any real noticeable difference between them?

My main use is for full power 38 special for target and possible home defense use(not concealed carry). Also in medium 357 magnum loads for hunting and long range target(for me that is limited to 100yds).
    It will be used in a Taurus 627 Tracker 6" and either a GP100 6" or a 686 with a long barrel (haven't decided which gun to buy yet).
    Any input is appreciated.
    tazman

Boolit Master

The Lee 358-158-rf mold that I have casts a boolit that has meplat like a WFN. Very wide meplat. Shot great out of my .357's. I would think the wide meplat of this boolit would be great for self defense and hunting. At about $20 for a mold, it is a real good deal.

It has a bevel base, but it never caused me any problems with leading cast of ACWW +2% tin, sized .368, 10.5gr/Bluedot, 1261fps, Smith 686, 6 inch barrel.
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

Boolit Master

There is good picture of the lee 358-158-rf in this thread.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-158-rf-(90303)

Boolit Master
    The lee is the only one of the three I've used, and it's a good design and shoots well. I don't recall why, but for some reason I got rid of the mold. I now have an MP 356640 that produces a ~170 gr rf solid or ~160 gr hp. Another option if you see one listed on the S&S forum, that's where I snagged mine.

Boolit Grand Master
    I have the 358-665 and have used it in an endeavor to get my Rossi Carbine to function better with 38 Specials than it had with the SWC's I'd been trying. Mine runs right at .358 as cast, so if you need a bigger boolit, you may want to look elsewhere. These days that slot has been filled by the MP 358-640 150 grainer that I bought. It was supposed to cast @ 140 grains but mine runs heavier. Either work well in that application.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Buddy
    I've used the Lee 158g in several pistols and one Marlin lever action rifle. Have not pushed it very fast yet. I like this bullet but mostly shoot the Lee 125g RNFP for plinking.
    CF
    Vote Independent, vote Republican, vote Democratic, just don’t vote Incumbent!
    I believe in the Bible, Freedom, the Constitution, the Bill of Rights and personal responsibility. My government believes I am narrow minded, intolerant and dangerous.

Boolit Master
    The lee .359-158rf gets my vote. Nice meplat and shoots accurately in my blackhawk. I have pushed em pretty hard, around 1400fps and with pc, havent had any leading. Should do well on critters. Two legged or otherwise.

Boolit Grand Master

The Lee 357-158-RF has been a very accurate boolit for me in several different guns.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

I dont know much about the other two but I know the lee 358-158rf shoots great out of a 6" gp100 shot a few thousand of them probably. Also well in my sw642 but thats not much of a target gun. Only trouble Ive had with it is the meplat is so wide the top punch I was using on my sizer was marring the nose.

Boolit Master

Try a flat top punch, or one for a .44 or .45 caliber swc cast boolit if you size other calibers.

Boolit Master

I use NOE 360-160 in my 357 and 38's. All my guns love it.
    Every shot you get in life counts

Boolit Master

Panda, Accurate Molds has a set of aluminum different sized flat top punchs(3) for about $6 plus shipping that I just bought for the same reason with this same boolit.Learned about them here. Works GREAT. Will likely use for all my flat nosed boolits. As to the OP 's question, the only boolit that he asked about that I have is the Lee 358-158rnfp and I love it in both my 686 nad my Miroku 1873. I load it mid range .357. Shoot Straight T-Bird