RepackboxReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Wideners
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Load Data

Thread: 45 ACP throat reamer needed.

Boolit Master

45 ACP throat reamer needed.

I have 4 1911's in various configurations. 2 of them have a very abrupt transition from chamber to barrel with barely tapered rifling , they both lead a bunch at that point.

Does anyone rent these reamers? I hate to buy a new one for 2 guns.

We do not have a local smith anymore that I would want to touch the guns, so considering doing it myself.

Thanks Matt

The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government.
    -- Thomas Jefferson

Vendor Sponsor

I would be glad to throat your barrels, I charge $20 per barrel plus insured return shipping. The work is fast and professionally done, I have all the correct reamers and pilots.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master

+10 for DougGuys work !!!

Here`s an example of his work on 1 of my GPs throat.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...rs-amp-Throats
    GP100man

Boolit Buddy
    FWIW;
    Dave Masons throating reamers are only like $40.ea brand new.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by yovinny View Post
    FWIW;
    Dave Masons throating reamers are only like $40.ea brand new.
    Might want to be a little more specific. $40 is for a solid nose throating reamer that will NOT give you the precision fit of a piloted reamer which will triple your investment. I use Dave Manson's reamers every day, deal with those guys on a weekly basis, they are the best tooling you will find for this kind of work but you don't go and buy the cheapest reamer you can find and expect to have stellar results from it, even if it is a Manson reamer.
    Last edited by DougGuy; 03-12-2015 at 03:41 AM.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Buddy
    LOL,,,Sorry,,,Did I step on you'r moment ?

Yes, thats $40. for a solid pilot throater.
    Identical to the solid pilot chamber reamers used to cut 99+% of the chambers out there.

If you want something better on a custom chambered barrel, by all means, spend more and go for a better sized live pilot.

But no matter how much BS or lipstick you put on a factory chamber,,,, you'll still have a factory chamber.

Cheers, YV

Boolit Grand Master

Identical to the solid pilot chamber reamers used to cut 99+% of the chambers out there.
    I cannot speak for all manufactures but Winchester, Browning and Remington do not use solid pilot chamber reamers. Winchester developed the USR oil groove bushings. They are longer than standard bushings with oil grooves for through the spindle cutting oil. I have heard this is now the industry standard.

For the custom smiths dealing with accuracy very few would consider using solid pilot reamers.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 03-13-2015 at 01:37 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    I cannot speak for all manufactures but Winchester, Browning and Remington do not use solid pilot chamber reamers. Winchester developed the USR oil groove bushings. They are longer than standard bushings with oil grooves for through the spindle cutting oil. I have heard this is now the industry standard.

For the custom smiths dealing with accuracy very few would consider using solid pilot reamers.
    Thats interesting,,,I may well be wrong and dating myself now.
    Happen to have any link/info/advertisement/mention/etc. of bushing reamers used at any factory manufacturing ?

I would think if a manufacturer turned to a more expensive 'custom' technique, they would be hot to get the word out and advertise the fact ?

AFAIK, Remington uses carbide solid pilot chamber reamers.
    Maybe they use bushing ones too, but solid pilot carbide is what they regularly send to scrap by the hopper load....
    I'll mail my carbide dealer buddy and see if he can send me some pics to post.

Cheers, YV

Vendor Sponsor

LOL,,,Sorry,,,Did I step on you'r moment ?

Yes, thats $40. for a solid pilot throater.
    Hehe nahh it's all good.. Almost funny though, you won't believe how many ppl look at that solid pilot reamer and think of all the money they will save, and then it's like chunking it in a GI garbage can when you put one in a cylinder throat because it rattles around like a bb in a oil drum. One guy on the ruger.net forum thought he would save $20 over my costs of doing two cylinders so he bought one of the $55 reamers and totally ruined two cylinders with it, and then posted his after photos, he was all happy and proud of himself until I pointed out that 4 of the 6 throats had an "eyebrow" of the old throat left after cutting the new throat, so he got off center pretty bad. I felt sorry for the guy but what can I say.

I guess the OP has about abandoned this thread..

Boolit Grand Master

Thats interesting,,,I may well be wrong and dating myself now.
    Happen to have any link/info/advertisement/mention/etc. of bushing reamers used at any factory manufacturing ?
    Call Dave Kiff at PTG and see how many manufactures he makes or made reamers for with removable pilot bushings. PTG now calls them external oil groove bushing but when I first started using carbide reamers in the mid 90's they were called USR bushings. The USR was for US Repeating Arms (Winchester).

External oil groove bushings http://shop.pacifictoolandgauge.com/...ex&cPath=3_385

I would think if a manufacturer turned to a more expensive 'custom' technique, they would be hot to get the word out and advertise the fact ?
    You haven't chambered very many barrels have you? How does using a removable pilot bushing equal "custom"?

AFAIK, Remington uses carbide solid pilot chamber reamers.
    Maybe they use bushing ones too, but solid pilot carbide is what they regularly send to scrap by the hopper load....
    I'll mail my carbide dealer buddy and see if he can send me some pics to post.
    Looking forward to seeing the pics. I used to work for a company that built custom tooling and inspection equipment. We did some stuff for both US Repeating Arms and Remington. At the time both were using removable pilot bushings on carbide reamers.

The bushings are HSS and would be removed before scraping the carbide. The oil groove allows for better chip removal under production speeds. Same for using spiral fluted carbide.

I use carbide because it cuts smoother throats.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 03-14-2015 at 12:58 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by DougGuy View Post
    Hehe nahh it's all good.. Almost funny though, you won't believe how many ppl look at that solid pilot reamer and think of all the money they will save, and then it's like chunking it in a GI garbage can when you put one in a cylinder throat because it rattles around like a bb in a oil drum. One guy on the ruger.net forum thought he would save $20 over my costs of doing two cylinders so he bought one of the $55 reamers and totally ruined two cylinders with it, and then posted his after photos, he was all happy and proud of himself until I pointed out that 4 of the 6 throats had an "eyebrow" of the old throat left after cutting the new throat, so he got off center pretty bad. I felt sorry for the guy but what can I say.

I guess the OP has about abandoned this thread..
    I understand what your saying, but the OP was wanting to throat a couple of 1911 barrels for lead. Since that involves minimal material removal and he was wanting to 'rent' a reamer, I told him to just buy one for $40. Nobody ever said a thing about any revolvers or cylinder throats.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    Call Dave Kiff at PTG and see how many manufactures he makes or made reamers for with removable pilot bushings. PTG now calls them external oil groove bushing but when I first started using carbide reamers in the mid 90's they were called USR bushings. The USR was for US Repeating Arms (Winchester).

External oil groove bushings http://shop.pacifictoolandgauge.com/...ex&cPath=3_385

You haven't chambered very many barrels have you? How does using a removable pilot bushing equal "custom"?

Looking forward to seeing the pics. I used to work for a company that built custom tooling and inspection equipment. We did some stuff for both US Repeating Arms and Remington. At the time both were using removable pilot bushings on carbide reamers.

The bushings are HSS and would be removed before scraping the carbide. The oil groove allows for better chip removal under production speeds. Same for using spiral fluted carbide.

I use carbide because it cuts smoother throats.
    I stand corrected then, your the expert.
    My buddy dosent have any reamers in now and while they sure looked like solid pilots, I didn't measure any and it's possible they could have already had the pilots removed.

Since it was earlier inferred that live pilots were a better fit than solid pilots, and regular live pilots are ground to the same size as solid pilots, I assumed he was talking about using custom sized live pilots sets...
    That is, sets with bushings every .0002" so they can be matched exactly to bore size...Something that would never happen on a production level and hence my use of the term 'custom'. Guess I got your remarks mixed up with his.

Standard clearance size live pilots would be just that, a standard item with the same clearance and spec as solid pilot, just safer on the bore.

But to cut to the chase and get back to the original issue, If your saying that there would be any difference at all between somebody hand turning a reamer to lengthening a throat with identical size live or solid pilots, then I'll just agree to completely disagree.

Lots of very fine barrels have been chambered with solid pilot reamers over the years and lots of throats have been lengthened with them too...Live pilots might be safer from damaging the bore, but their no magic fix or a reason for producing a 'better' chamber or throat.
    I'd sooner do my own with solid pilot reamers, then some of the 'gunsmiths' I've known,,even if they owned custom sized bushing sets.

Cheers, YV

I've used the Manson 40$ reamer on a couple 45's. It worked just dandy. Now they will all feed the same ammo and the one that didn't have a throat doesn't lead anymore because it now has a gentle throat entrance.

Use good oil, Go slow, don't turn it backward, and check fit.

Hard stainless takes some time to ream. Regular steel reams quick so don't over do it.
    If you think your a hammer everything looks like a nail.

Boolit Master

Well, a 1911 local smith took care of my 2 guns in question when I showed him the chambers. Thanks for the input, may need it again!