WidenersRotoMetals2RepackboxLoad Data
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
Inline Fabrication MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Anyone using Remington 783 rifle?

je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Bub
    Bought one yesterday (.308 Win); shot it today. First seven rounds went in a ragged hole at 75 yds (168 gr federal factory cartridge). Then got down to business with 311299 w/ 16 gr of 2400 - honest 1 1/8" @ 75 yards (15 rounds). I was immensely pleased. Trigger is super. Occasionally had a hitch with feeding last round from magazine - I'll work on that. Most affordable.

Boolit Mold
    I wonder if they will chamber this in a 223 or smaller cartridge. it seems like it would be a fine action for say a fireball or vartag if it was smaller.

I think in general Remington has gone down hill quite a bit. If you asked me 20 years ago what the best production rifle or shotgun was I would have said Remington. Their quality control has slipped greatly in the past 10 years. My brother received a brand new model 7600 for Christmas a few years ago. The gun would not chamber a round. He had to take it to a gunsmith spending $150.00 just to get it cycling correctly. Once worked on though it cycled like butter. Now I am not saying that they dont put out quality from time to time. I just think in general they are mass producing and quality slips with it. In the Budget category I would say the "pre" Remington Marlin XL7 or Ruger Americans would be of slightly better quality in my opinion. If you found a good one then Remington is hard to beat.

Boolit Master
    Years later, GONRA asks if anybody knows the rifling specs .308 Winchester chambering
    in Today's Remington 783 Scoped Combo rifles?
    Remington Websites say: 1/10 inch Right Hand twist, 20 inch barrel - thats all.
    THANX!

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    joejo, yes it's currently made in 223 & 22-250 as well as larger calibers. The trigger finger "safety" dealie is a bit odd at first, but I guess us old dogs can learn new tricks, maybe 1-2 of them anyways. It's not a heavy varminter but in 223 it'll do for closer in work I'd think

Boolit Master
    OOPS! Slipped up (again).
    GONRA's seeking nr. of grooves
    and has anyone messed around with 783 barrel lapping - fire lapping, etc.
    Thanx for info guys.....

The triggerguard, forend shape, bolt handle and shroud are a little too Euro for me. I agree with the previous poster about the Marlin bolt action being a great deal if found.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I bought one of the 783's a couple of years or so ago. I got the .308 Win caliber version. The rifle works good, no problems with it per se. But one day I went to adjust the focus on the scope and the rear lense came loose on me. Since it is a no name brand scope I had to replace it with another scope. It looks like the lense was being held in place by the rear eyepiece and when I went to adjust it, the eyepiece moved back some and the lense wasn't locked down anymore and came loose from the recoil. Thus you may or may not get much life out of the no name brand scope on the rifles.

The only thing I am not sure of is that the firing pin, sort of, feels a little weak on striking the primers. Now with factory ammo, all of the rounds fired off Ok, but a couple of my reloads failed to fire though. But when I re-chambered the rounds, the rounds fired off the second time OK. So I am not sure what to make of that so far. Unless I didn't quite get the primers seated good when I was reloading at the time.

Oh yeah, the two short split picatinny or weaver scope rails are Ok, but if you go to use night vision scopes or some other types of scopes, the scope mounts may not fit the rails. I wound up getting a long one piece mounting rail to use instead. EGW Evolution Gun Works makes them for both the short and long action 783's. Anyway that solves the problem of getting the scope rings to fit on the rifle in some cases.
    Last edited by Earlwb; 11-28-2017 at 07:06 PM. Reason: add more information