Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionRepackbox
Titan ReloadingLoad DataRotoMetals2Wideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply Reloading Everything

Thread: Lube Groove Choices

Boolit Bub

Lube Groove Choices

Greetings Casters and Coaters,

I am curious about the results or differences between different lube grooves, mainly the tumble grooves vs the traditional style in relation to powder coating. I am looking to buy an NOE Ranch Dog mold, and being that I plan on powder coating, I was curious if anyone has noticed a difference between these different types of lube grooves.

Full disclosure, I have not casted a single bullet yet but if all goes to plan, that will change by next week. All my information has just been gathered by reading here and on a few other sights. Just trying to get as many ducks in a row as I can. And it is fun to look at molds and consider purchasing them.

Boolit Man
    I'm not up to speed on the PC'ing of bobos, but my recollection is that doing so eliminates the need for additional lubing of the projectiles? So a TL bobo design would lead to a more even coating of the PC powder & results vs. a traditional lube-groove bullet, I should think? Best of luck w/ your project.

Vendor Sponsor

I have shot both styles and really comes down more to which design/mold/size does your gun like

in powder coating you really don't even need to coat the lube grooves just the driving bands (areas that will touch the bore)
    Most People will ( including myself) just because it looks better

Tumble lube style bullets are easier to coat just because the grooves are not as deep and don't have sharp edges
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Smoke4320 View Post
    I have shot both styles and really comes down more to which design/mold/size does your gun like

in powder coating you really don't even need to coat the lube grooves just the driving bands (areas that will touch the bore)
    Most People will ( including myself) just because it looks better

Tumble lube style bullets are easier to coat just because the grooves are not as deep and don't have sharp edges
    +1

From my experience is doesn't matter. Find what your guns like best and go with that. For 45's, I started with 230 gr RN with tumble lube grooves and switched to the 200 gr SWC wax lube groove to conserve lead and I like the clean holes they make in the target. Plus my guns feed them well.

I have been thinking about doing some half PC'd bullets like you mention, just to do something different...I don't have an ES gun, so I may have to tape off the upper half of the bullet and DT.
    "The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."
    - Samuel Adams

COTEP CBOB0736

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    No difference in the way they shoot. 'Same way with gas checks. Coat em if you want, or leave em bare if you have a big enough shank to coat then check.

KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Boolit Buddy
    Many of my boolits are coated on the base and sides. I spray (ES) the powder with the boolits sitting nose down in a nut. I flip them with hemostats onto the bake trays for the heating. If I want them to look cool, I might spray them on the top before baking.

Several guys here have used boolit designs with no lube grooves. With the PC coating, the grooves are really superfluous. So pick a boolit design that looks good or is known to work well.

Ed C

Boolit Bub
    Thank you for the answers, gentlemen. I'm glad to see that it makes little difference. That takes the pressure off somewhat. I guess nothing to do now but just start casting.

Vendor Sponsor

when I started investigating powder coating we tried many different methods and bullet styles
    After proving that powder coating worked even at low jacketed rifle velocities the search began to find as accurate load as I could get .. I found that hollow point bullets (out of my rifles) seemed to always shoot slightly smaller groups..
    next logical choice was to move the CG even further back IE remove the lube grooves.. Tried several molds without lube grooves in several calibers.. Lots of money spent to find out I could not see any improvement over grooved bullets ... AT least Not YET !
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Master
    Nothing to add other than curiosity; how would one go about powder coating a boolit without getting the powder in the lube grooves? When I tumble to coat, the grooves are greatly reduced by one coat of baked-n finish.

prs