RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Load DataReloading EverythingWidenersInline Fabrication
Lee Precision Repackbox
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Starting handloading

So I finally got a press, it took a while because things money wise went crazy for a bit, car repair and other things. Anyway, I decided on a lee challenger kit, which I am slightly regretting because of the redundant items. The auto prime is unnecessary with the priming device built into the press, As well as the powder scale, which will be unnecessary with the dipper from the pacesetter die set. But from what I can tell, it's good, solid, and it will be easier to work with than the hand press.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	unnamed.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	54.0 KB 
ID:	134354

I still need to get the pacesetter set, and I have a decapping die coming.

Banned

"...the powder scale, which will be unnecessary with the dipper from the pacesetter die set."

I have two Challenger Breech Lock presses. Like them very much. The scale is very accurate and a PITA. You have to start somewhere, and that kit is a good place to start. As time goes on, you will have a better idea as to what works best for you. Regardless, even with dippers, you need to know what your charge weight is. I love using dippers, but always weigh the first couple dipper loads to make sure what is going on. Stuff happens, scales make sure less stuff happens.
    Last edited by jmort; 03-18-2015 at 05:51 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

The beauty of the hand primer is that you can prime faster, and more importantly, you do not ever touch the primers.
    Any ammo I load that may be stored for a while never get's it's primers touched. I'm probably being anal, but I'm worried that over time, the oils from my fingertips could migrate into the primer and weaken it.
    Other than that, I have to admit that Lee got it right with their on board priming stem, as I can feel the primer seat better than with the RCBS system. However, nothing beats the autoprime for feel. I just love mine.
    Precision in the wrong place is only a placebo.

Boolit Grand Master

Tim, I started loading with a Lee thumper kit. Handled every primer, even set a few off. Went to the RCBS Jr3, handled every primer (no tubes). I must have loaded for 25 years, for myself and my father, before I got a Lee hand primer and stopped handling every primer. I never had a primer fail! Now I'm back to loading on my TrueLine Jr and 310 tools, handling every primer. I still have yet to have one fail. Methinks the threat is overdone.

Coyote, you can get very different amounts in a scoop depending on how you scoop it. Consistency is critical and a scale is necessary totrain your hand and confirm your charge from the way you scoop. It's not redundant. When you change powders ...
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master
    Coyote,

The Challenger kit is how I began. I will never sell it. Makes great ammo.

Boolit Master
    Very reliable load data at www.hodgdon.com.

Boolit Master
    Method for using a dipper.

Put the powder in a cheapo tupperware sandwhich box.
    Turn it until a corner is nearest to you.
    Tip box until the powder is deeper than the dipper.
    Place base of dipper on area of deeper powder and push downward until the powder starts to flow into the dipper.
    When dipper is full, take a business card and level the top.
    Pour into cartridge.

I dip to 1/20 of a grain accuracy with this method.

Boolit Master
    You should never attempt to reload without a GOOD scale, period.

Boolit Master
    I agree with MT, a scale is critical to your success. By checking the weight of your dipped powder you can determine if you have the right dipper and you can check for consistency in your method.

When the dipper is being filled with powder keep the wall of powder above it about the same heighth and you will load the same amount each time.

Your method of dipping will load a different amount than mine. Each reloader will have slightly different methofs and the weight will slightly different, so check the weight when you first begin to make sure you are getting the same load that you want.

Scooping will give you more weight but not necessarily the consistency, so be careful.

Dippers really work well, i haven' t used my fixed powder tool in years.

So, the scale isn't redundant. It allows you to become very good very early in this part of the process.

Sharpsman
    Here's the FIRST $$$$ you should spend:

http://www.brownells.com/reloading/b...004109_d_22394

Banned

I like the rl550 dillon instead, sorry. l do still have a lee hand press, wonder what will ever happen to it. I loaded a ton of 380's on it. If l would of just had a 380 cartridge gage when l first started, that would have helped. I like alliant powders and tula primers from natchez.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234