RepackboxInline FabricationReloading EverythingWideners
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Snyders Jerky Titan Reloading

Thread: Dacron filler

Dacron filler

I have been using a small pinch of dacron filler in some loads with good success. Lately, I have read different opinions on how much to use. Some say a small pinch, and others say fill the case to the boolit base to avoid chamber ringing. This would be for my 7.62x54R, .303, and 7.5 Swiss loads. What do you guys think? Also, I have heard that clothes dryer lint works well for filler. Somehow I doubt that compacted lint would give consistant results, but since there is no shortage of the stuff, I thought I would ask....
    Ten Bears; "You are the Grey Rider. You would not make peace with the bluecoats. You may go in peace."
    Josey Wales; "I reccon not."

Charlie Waite; "Men are gonna die here today, Sue, and I'm gonna kill them."

DanM., Search the archives for BruceB's excellent posts on using dacron fillers.

Boolit Grand Master

I use Dacron exclusively as a filler in rifle cases. I do not however use dacron as a wad or filler with the faster burning powders in rifle cases. With those powders I use a powder that burns efficiently with the bullets selected (weight has a lot to do with it) at the velocity I want. I do use the dacron filler with medium burning powders in rifle cases. The use of the dacron filler most often enhances more uniform ignition which gives less extreme spread and better accuracy. It also negates powder position sensitivity. With slower burning powders loading density is 85-100% so a filler is not needed. Depending on the case volume and powder used I've found a 1/2 - 3/4 gr filler is all that is needed in cases from .223 thru .308 in capacity. Of course the type of powder and amount ued varies in any case so the filler has to be varied. In cases as small as the .223 I've found little difference (actually unmeasureable with a chronograph) between a 1/2 or 3/4 gr dacron filler. Thus I just cut the dacron to size (eye balling it) as I prefer sheets of dacron "batting". With larger cases like the '06 or 45-70 I use a 1 - 1 1/2 gr filler of dacron with excellent results.

Larry Gibson

Boolit Grand Master
    Fill the case. The larger amount of dacron better resists the movement of the powder charge as there are more fibers to hold it in place, and this is thought to reduce the chance of ringing.