Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Wideners
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: #2 lead shot uses

Boolit Buddy

#2 lead shot uses

I've been sorting through my shotshell collection and came across a bunch of heavy #2 12ga rounds, some 2.75's with 1 1/2oz of shot and some 3" with 1 7/8oz of shot.

I figured these for obsolete goose loads but remington still offers these loads with lead pellets and gets $30 & $37 a box for them so someone must still be using them for something.

The only hunter I know that uses lead #2's uses them for shooting midget antelope in Africa.

Boolit Master
    Turkey!
    I load 10 gauge w/ #2's at 2-1/2 ounce w/ mix 47 buffer and use them in a sp-10 Remington, turkeys don't stand a chance when head shot.
    Lab
    Last edited by labradigger1; 01-06-2015 at 09:44 PM.

Boolit Master
    Coyote.

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    Sometimes you need a lot of punch in early fox squirrel season to get em through the 100' tall, thick oak canopies of a swamp bottom.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Boolit Grand Master

We ised to keep a box of those handy for marauding critters in the chicken coop. Never knew what it was going to be but those heavy #2s seemed to do a great job.

Boolit Master

Turkey hunters

Boolit Bub
    Coyote and fox when they get too close to the chicken coop!

Boolit Buddy
    Fox. I know some turkey hunters use them too.....but that never made sense to me since turkey are usually shot on the ground and small shot to the head and neck don't mess up the meat.
    Cast is an adjective, a noun and a verb. Cast works as both imperative and past tense without any additional letters or helping verbs.

Boolit Master
    #2 is to large for turkey in the state of Virginia or so that's what the game department says !

I think coyotes or intruders would be fine . A load of #2 lead to the face of an intruder should put his lights out FOREVER !
    Parker's , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Avery Arms View Post
    The only hunter I know that uses lead #2's uses them for shooting midget antelope in Africa.
    Blue Duiker perhaps ?
    Parker's , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DuckHunterJon View Post
    Coyote and fox when they get too close to the chicken coop!
    I caught a fox running out of my chicken coop with a hen in his mouth. Got him from about 30 yards. When I skinned him out, I found only 2 holes. Was using 7 1/2 too.

Boolit Master

Perfect for Sandhill Cranes

Mike

p.s. lead shot ok for cranes, but you can NOT shoot geese or ducks while having lead shot in possession
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Master
    A couple of ground hogs that were working overtime in my garden found out the hard way how #2 works.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Avery Arms View Post
    I've been sorting through my shotshell collection and came across a bunch of heavy #2 12ga rounds, some 2.75's with 1 1/2oz of shot and some 3" with 1 7/8oz of shot.

I figured these for obsolete goose loads but remington still offers these loads with lead pellets and gets $30 & $37 a box for them so someone must still be using them for something.

I was crow hunting with a friend who had been given 200 rnds of Rem Express 2 3/4" #2's. I was shooting 7 1/2's and having a hard time killing any crows, so he told me to put the "Tweety Bird" shells away and try the #2's. Man, what a difference. The his the ground dead as a hammer. I have since gone to #4's for more pellet count but the results are the same.

Boolit Master
    Been looking very hard at some "Buck and Ball" at Zanders. Can't figure what I would do with them. They have about 10 cases that have had the boxes get wet. They are made over seas and sold as NSI Multi-Defense Buckshot. Law Enforcement. 12 Ga. 2 3/4 1300 fps - 1 x.650 RB + 6 x 1BK. I know they would be maybe O.K. for home defence, but that Round Ball makes me stop and think for town people. Out here I know where ALL the houses are and how far away. So oooooo.......

Boolit Buddy
    In shotgun only areas where buckshot is legal that buck and ball would be dandy. What little I shot of it put the ball the same place as slug loads but buckshot all around it!
    Cast is an adjective, a noun and a verb. Cast works as both imperative and past tense without any additional letters or helping verbs.

In Remembrance

Turkeys and varmits, including the two legged variety. At 90 pellets to the ounce, an effective pattern.

Boolit Master

Varmints.

All those homesteading farmers and ranchers knew what worked. Still does.

Boolit Master

I used to use #2 shot in 3" mag loads for waterfowl. Then the Do-Gooders put an end to that. But, I still use it for turkeys and varmints. Two's work really well on turkey, come to find out! I was one who used to use 5's or 6's for turkey thinking that it gave a better pattern than larger shot. It did, but unless you hit the head/neck area it often wasn't an instant kill and if you aimed low, you might just roll the bird over and have him run off! I was talking about turkey loads with a couple of friends one day and was shocked to hear they both used #2 shot, even in 2-3/4" hulls! "You don't have enough pellets in those loads!" I said. Their reply was that you only need one, because a #2 pellet will penetrate a turkey so much better than a smaller pellet! I tried it, they were correct! That was 30 tears ago and I'm still using 2's. I shot an 18 pound Tom several years back at a measured 72 yards (No BS, I went back and measured it with a 50' tape measure!), ONE pellet went through that bird, he was dead by the time I got to him! As Robert Ruark once said, "Use enough gun!"
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

Nuisance beaver in low light conditions, and a great home defense load also.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast