Titan ReloadingLoad DataReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRepackbox
RotoMetals2 Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Leading in a Springfield XD 45

Boolit Master

Picked up an XD45 recently, using the Lee 452-230-TC with COWW and 2% tin and 50/50 lube. 6.4 grains SR 4756 and OAL = 1.190. Seems to like it, no leading and about 650 FPS average. Nice blaster.

Boolit Master
    Wow, a blast from the past.
    Guess I never updated this thread.

Turns out that the Lee 2 cav I have was out of round, figured it out as soon as I got a set of micrometers.

Once again, too small, even if on just a part of the boolit causes leading.

So I picked up a 6 cav version that started round and has stayed round.

I cast and shot at least 5k of the lee 452-230TC tumble lubed w/recluse last year, no leading.
    Used several different powders, having picked up whatever I could during the shortages and using 45acp as a garbage disposal for whatever pistol powder I wanted to use up.

I went to the range today hoping to scrounge some range lead, but of course there were other shooters since it was such a nice day.

Did a little shooting with a shield, got bored of shooting at pieces of clays on the pistol range so I grabbed the XD and walked over to the rifle range. I had a couple of boxes of 45 in the range bag so I proceeded to try and hit some steel at 130yds from a rest.
    I haven't done much long distance shooting with pistols, and the sights on the XD are not made for precision, the front sight covers the whole width of the large plate which is almost 2'x4'.

So take aim, cover the width of the plate from right to left and then hold just a little over the top.
    It took me a while to get my hold over correct.
    Best I did was 5/10 shots. But when I did hit the plate I was dead center.

Even hit the smaller swingers a couple of times.

Really could use a spotter, but at least the 45 is slow enough that I could fire and then look over the gun and see my impact.

All in all I was happy with my performance and wished I had grabbed some more 45 ammo.

I had wanted to play with my 38 on the rifle range, but I got the gun out of the safe, grabbed a coffee can has a bucket of ammo, and then left the gun at home.

And that is why I always try and take several guns/calibers to the range. And keep a few boxes of each caliber in my range bag. Even thought that as I was packing up, I had enough assortment that if I forgot something I would at least still shoot.
    If I get done with work tomorrow early tomorrow I will head back out to play with some more long distance shooting.

Alloy is not your problem, probably the lube failing. If the lead is all down the barrel, that is my guess. BD would never be my choice unless I wanted low pressure +P stuff. Medium burners work better for full power loads IMO. Even faster powders like RedDot, Bullseye & WST can get you full power equiv loads within std pressure limits. Cheaper to shoot too!
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Master

My mold is a little out of round and upon sizing I can see it is not sizing a couple areas, but, there is no leading at all. COWW + 2% tin. I did need to go back and seat the rounds a little shorter, 1.180, so they are now consistently going into battery. .
    Last edited by JeffG; 10-22-2017 at 12:50 PM.

Boolit Master
    I am the op and just edited the first post to add solution.

This thread is from over 2 years ago when I started casting.

Solution in post 22.

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12