Lee PrecisionInline FabricationTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
Reloading EverythingWidenersLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox RotoMetals2

Thread: Setting up a Star Sizer

Setting up a Star Sizer

Does anyone have any tricks to getting just the right bullet seating depth on a heated Star Sizer? You know, getting the lube groove lined up perfectly with the holes in the sizer die? It drives me nuts every time I change bullets. It takes me an hour sometimes to get it just right. It is making me crazy enough to start looking for another used one and setting it up for one bullet, probably 9mm.
    Any tips?

Boolit Bub

Lining up bullets in Star lubricator

You need a vernier caliper for this method. It will give you the exact seating depth. Here's what to do:

The Star sizing dies have a series of holes around the outside diameter for the lube to flow through. First, remove the die from the machine and scrape away the lube so you can see the holes. Measure the distance from the bottom of the die to the holes. Call this dimension #1. Replace the die. Then take a bullet and measure from its base to the center of the lube groove. Call this dimension #2. Subtract #2 from #1. This will give you the distance the base of the bullet should be above the lower edge of the lube die at the bottom of the handle stroke. This is for feeding the bullets base first into the die.

To align the bullet, start the top plug deliberately too high so the bullet doesn't seat far enough. With no pressure on the lube chamber, actuate the handle to push the bullet into the die. With the depth gage on the end of the vernier spanning the bottom rim of the die, measure the bullet seating depth. If it is too deep, screw down the top punch, actuate the ram, and remeasure. Do this until the bullet is at the calculated distance. Your problem is solved.

P.S. Keep a record of the distance for each die & bullet combination you use in a notebook. Next time it should just take a minute for setup.
    Last edited by BigCheese; 09-25-2005 at 10:24 PM.

Boolit Master

At one with the gun.

Boolit Master

NW Ohio, almost as N and W as you can be :-)
    I use an item called an "adjustable parallal" to return to a previous setting, you can do a search at mscdirect.com and find them, you could also use a socket head capscrew and 2 nuts jammed together to make a setting jig for each bullet that would be quick and easy to use to return to a given setting.

Bill
    Both ends WHAT a player

I assume you know how to find the correct punch setting so once it's found simply measure the distance from the top of sizing die to bottom of punch with sizer handle at the top of it's stroke and write the measurement in your book. I size 20 some odd different bullets with Star's and use this system. Quick and simple like me. (I'm not quick)

Boolit Master

I use the same method as Lynn. Works fine.
    God Bless America
    US Army, NRA Patron, TSRA Life
    SASS, Ruger & Marlin accumulator

Boolit Master

NW Ohio, almost as N and W as you can be :-)
    I measure the distance, but use an adjustible parallal to measure it, and to set the punch. Same boat, differant Motor.

Bill
    Both ends WHAT a player