RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Load DataWidenersTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Lee Precision Repackbox

Thread: After-Action Report: Criterion Barrels, Inc.

Thumbs up After-Action Report: Criterion Barrels, Inc.

This is my after-action report for a recent experience with Criterion Barrels, Inc.

The short version of this report is: Exemplary customer service second to none, from a company that fully stands behind its product at all costs.

Here's the longer version of this report:
    I ordered a Criterion match barrel from Jim and Northland Shooters Supply. The barrel arrived only a few days later, and I was testing loads that the same week. I followed a delicate break-in procedure, and the barrel shot same-hole groups at 100 yards and 1" groups at 330 yards. After a match approximately 400 rounds in, there was a thick layer of copper fouling visible down the muzzle. While troubleshooting this problem here in the forums, a Criterion rep named Josh reached out and offered to have the new barrel lapped again.

The barrel was sent back using a shipping label CBI provided, and when it arrived at their facility Criterion sent me an email detailing the work order. Around this same time I discovered the fouling was the result of bad advice in the form of three inches of Devcon under-barrel bedding. In spite of this, Criterion held true to their word and refinished my barrel. Days later I received another call from Criterion rep named Stephanie explaining the barrel was on its way back to me. An email followed soon after containing tracking information.

Once the refinished barrel arrived, I gave it a thorough inspection. Criterion re-lapped and re-crowned the barrel, but there was a small patch of tiny scratches on the lands visible from the muzzle. I contacted Criterion by email and attached photos illustrating my findings. Within minutes a call came with apologies, and an email with a return shipping label. Criterion reps remembered that I was planning to have a muzzle brake put on, and offered to do it for me if included with the return barrel. Josh painstakingly collected the details for a new barrel order, and explained the process. Within days, a completely unexpected personal apology letter and embroidered cap arrived from Criterion Barrels.

I sent the parts to CBI in late November, less than four weeks later I've got a brand new barrel with fitted and timed muzzle brake in my hands. Everything fit together and aligned perfectly, and I'm excited for the 2015 competitive season!

The customer service demonstrated by Josh at Criterion Barrels has been absolutely second to NONE. I have never in my whole entire life experienced customer service to this level of professionalism and courtesy; most especially not from anybody relating to the firearms industry. Lupold Optics is the only other industry-related company to go above and beyond, and even they don't come close. I'm already deciding what barrel to have them build next, because they've earned a life-long customer.

Thank you, Criterion Barrel. I hope that other companies learn from your example and strive to follow in your footsteps.

Handy with a rifle? Palomino Valley Gun Club is currently hosting public competition in Reno, Nevada.

Boolit Master
    Very glad to hear this as I just ordered my first Criterion after seeing how well they work for a good friend of mine.
    "Don't worry what they think. In the end it is not between them and you, it is between you and God."

Je suis Charlie!

"You won't know until you Actually try it"

"The impossible just takes longer."

"Don't let them beat you down with their inexperience."

"You'll never accomplish what you don't try. " - Moldmaker

Boolit Master
    Hi,
    Don't get me wrong here, I'm glad you were taken care of,but you still had to deal with the barrel TWICE!

I can't help but wonder what the problem was(QC?) and if it happens frequently???

My only experience with that maker is their M-14 barrels and they are known to be excellent at a very fair price!
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace.
    We ask not your counsels or arms.
    Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you.
    May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” -Samuel Adams
    Janet Reno, killed more children at Waco, with Bill Clinton's permission, than Adam Lanza killed, at Sandy Hook.

Boolit Master
    My only experience with them is one AR15 barrel and it is as fine as any barrel I have ever used (including ones that were a lot more $$).

Boolit Buddy

I just found this thread I just a few hours ago ordered a barrel from Jim at Northland a Criterion SS in 308 Win Glad to hear that you are happy with the product and the service.
    Tony

Banned

glad your being taken care of but for the life of me cant figure how bedding a gun can in ANYWAY effect its tendency to foul. I could see them blaming it on the fact a gun didn't shoot well but surely not fouling.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    glad your being taken care of but for the life of me cant figure how bedding a gun can in ANYWAY effect its tendency to foul. I could see them blaming it on the fact a gun didn't shoot well but surely not fouling.
    X-2 Plus, if I read you right it had a slight amount of copper fouling after 400rds? Where is the problem? Dang!

Boolit Buddy
    I have rebarreled 6 Garands thus far with Criterions (5 in .30-06, 1 in .308 Win) and finish chambered them to correct headspace. They have performed as well as the best LMR and SA-65 series barrels that gage new or nearly so. Scored a 472-5X with Danish AMA-91 M2 Ball at a JCG Memorial Match at Ft. Knox, KY. This score equaled an earlier effort with an LMR bbl'd IHC Garand. That is as good as I can expect with me as the "wingnut" behind the trigger.
    Got-R-Did.

Boolit Buddy

I got my Criterion Barrel on my action the other day loaded up 50 J-words for barrel break in did my 1 shot clean routine 3 shot clean 5 shot clean just a random 4320 load shot sub moa at 100 with J-words during break in. I have just started Boolit load work up I am really happy zero leading weather has been c*** more snow coming Thursday hope to get out again this weekend
    Tony

Would anyone care to comment regarding starting a new Criterion barrel on a diet of paper patch bullets?
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.