Load DataRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersRepackboxReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Snyders Jerky Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1903A3 project

Boolit Grand Master

If you're starting with a 03-A3 action, life will be a lot simpler if you stick with the 30-06 or 35 Whelen . Feeding gets tricky with the shorter rounds and headspace problems might crop up with 40 Whelen. I don't know about 375-06 headspace , but this is a Wildcat for sure.
    My first sporter was made from a 1903-A3 surplus rifle , it came with a 30-06 Remington two groove barrel , it shoots cast boolits very well and I've never regretted sticking with the 30-06 chamber.
    Parts, triggers, floor plates, safeties, were always made for this action and chambering. Feeding has never been a problem. And if I must buy factory ammo usually 30-06 is available.
    Glad to see sporters still hold interest , did mine in late 60's....bought the military surplus rifle for the outrageous price of $59.95....that was a while ago!
    Gary

Boolit Grand Master
    I had Goodsteel build me a 308 Springfield. He cut back a new 03 barrel and chambered it to 308. Works fine. If I was going to rebarrel, I would think hard about the 375-06. If I had a spare 03A3, I would probably send it off to JES and have it rebored to 375-06

Boolit Master
    I rescued an A3 springfield that bubba had done some work on many years ago. Shop tag price was $89 bucks. Barrel was shot a lot with corrosive ammo most likely military surplus. Stuck in in my 6" craftsman lathe after cutting most of the barrel off and using a cut off tool bit cut right in front of the receiver to relieve the compression. Had a steel block that was drilled and tapped for 1/4x20 bolts and the stub screwed off. Polished everything including the new A3 barrel and off to the gunsmith it went. Also had a steel lyman 57 rear sight and the smith supplied a nice redfield band sight. About $200 later all blued and sights installed. Still have it today although the rifling is somewhat worn still shoots great. Picked up another A3 new barrel when the old one gives up the ghost. Frank

Boolit Grand Master

Greetings
    I am with Frank46 on the 375-06. I have one and no regrets. That is one fine caliber and will take care of any critter this side of our world.
    375-06 headspace... Do a search under 400 Whelen on the Net. Possibly many had problems because the Whelen uses a fatter shoulder diameter than the much more tapered 06 case. I have 10 cases (35 Whelen) that have been fired at least 14 times in my 375 -06. No headspace problems yet. I only neck size also. The other 40 cases of the batch have been fired about 6 times each. No issues. All this brass was fired with cast weighing at least 250 grains. The 10 cases were used to load 325's and 345 grainers as received from Bullshop with heavy charges of 4350.
    Mike in Peru...
    "Behold The Lamb of God that taketh away the sin of the world". John 1:29
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Here's my final plan:

- 375-06 Ackley Improved
    - 24 inch barrel
    - Timney trigger
    - Iron sights
    - Black walnut stock with monte carlo
    - Stripper clips

I'll save the 30-06 cartridge for a Garand. That rifle is on the list too.
    "A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph, or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." - Aldo Leopold

Live generously.

Boolit Master
    Who gonna do the barrel?
    Do, or do not.
    There is no try.
    Yoda

I plan to involve the members that specialize in the work I need. I want to give back to those that helped me.
    "A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph, or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." - Aldo Leopold

Live generously.

Boolit Master

30-06 all the way

30-06 Great round,,, American Enfield sporter
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 032.JPG  

The standard 375 Whelen has more than ample shoulder for proper headspace plus it keep the longer neck which can be important for cast bullet shooters. When you blow out the case to form the Ackley Improved, you move the shoulder forward, which increases the powder capacity, but it also reduces the neck length. So there is a choice to make, which is more important, extra powder capacity or extra case neck length?
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Master

You just can't go wrong with an 06'. So many variables, every game on the North American continent, always available components, surplus brass.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Thumbs up for the 06'.

HV
    Life's biggest tragedy is we get old too soon, and wise too late.

Boolit Master
    I don't think there is another cartridge out there that has the versatility of an 06. It can be loaded down to around 115 grains or can be loaded up to 220 plus grains. Fast or slow, cast or jacketed. Only difficult part is choosing twist rate. I'm currently building an argentine 1909. I've had several people trying to get me to build something else, but my heart is set on an 06. Reamer should be here Monday, barrel is already here, bedding of action is nearly complete. This is my first complete build, and as a famous quote, "a thirty ought six is never a mistake"! Do I have others? You bet, but no question about this one.!

Boolit Master
    My vote is for a 35 Whelen, 375 Whelen, or 400 Whelen.