Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionRepackboxWideners
RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data Inline Fabrication

Thread: Question on rear sight Sweed Mauser

Boolit Buddy

Question on rear sight Sweed Mauser

I been shooting the rifle with Iron sight my question is at 50 yards I am 1 1/2" over point of aim I am holding 6 O' clock
    I see the rear sight is at the lowest setting on number ?: The front sight looks original .
    what is the yardage the sweed used when the rear is set on number on the dial.I think at the 100 yard target I may still be 2" high ,I see sarco sell the front sight taller then stock it may help is getting a better set up for the rear leaf.

Boolit Master

A taller front sight is exactly what you need. May as well get a couple if you have any other milsurps.
    Last edited by Uncle Grinch; 01-04-2015 at 06:55 PM.
    Shoot Safe,
    Mike

Retired Telephone Man
    NRA Endowment Member
    Marion Road Gun Club
    ( www.marionroad.com )

Boolit Grand Master

The range your rear sight is set on is 200 meters and since "I think at the 100 yard target I may still be 2" high" it is correctly zeroed. If you put a taller front sight on the range elevation settings will no longer be correct. If you feel the need for a 100 yard POA = POI then the small screw in the center of the dial may be backed and it may lower the rear sight a bit.

Larry Gibson

you can buy taller front sights from Brownells and file them down to get your zero. A friend that I have contaminated with the gun nut virus has gown down the milsurp trail and researched this problem quite a bit. He related to me that German's were taught to aim at the belt buckle. in doing so they were assured a center of mass hit from 100 out to 300 yards with the 8mm. They shoot so high that aming at the belt at 100 yards would give you a chest hit and at 300 yards somewhere in the gut. just concerned with killing a man real accuracy wasn't important. I just bought one and it's about 12 inches high at 100.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

Boolit Buddy
    I think from measuring the front sight is a M-96 marked -05 height should be .235 height @ a thickness is .096
    I will shoot it at the 100 yard target and the bullet path at a 100 should be high 1.444 and go from there.
    The M38 front sight from what I read thickness should be .070 +0 may work at .275

Boolit Buddy
    I just ordered a box of Hornady 129 SP Interlocking bullet I wonder do you guy's think the 129 gr. bullet will shoot out of the Military barrel .
    I have a open box of Horn 140 gr. I would like to use in next year deer hunting season

Boolit Master

You may be able to lower the sight a bit more. Looks like you are missing the tiny screw in the center of the jack screw. But the jack screw can be raised once the sight is taken apart.
    6.5s will shoot almost all bullit weight very well, i hunt with 140gr.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150106_204208.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	53.6 KB 
ID:	126558

Boolit Buddy
    you are right never noticed it until you mention it.

Boolit Buddy
    any one have any idea what size screw for the hole in the center of the circle I need?

Boolit Master

I measured mine, did not have a pitch gauge that went higher than 48 tpi and it is higher than 48 tpi and the out side dia is .090 thou. May even be metric. Retapping to 4-48 may be the easiest fix.

Boolit Master
    Samco global has original Swede front sights up to +2 height. You could order a couple of them from Samco, probably pay too much shipping and handling, and wait a long time to get it (unless they've changed their ways), or you could post a WTB ad here. The height of the original front sight should be stamped on the sight base; just get a replacement that's a number or two taller. I ordered the original +2 sights from Samco to correct a couple of Swedes that shot ridiculously high; it worked well for me since you can raise the rear sight however high you need to for a point of impact that suits you. By using the taller original blades I didn't have to start filing the front sight - I could make elevation adjustments with the rear sight. Don't worry about what number the rear sight is set on when it is zeroed. I wanted the original Swede front sight blades because they wouldn't be too thick to work with the rear sight, even if you get M96 blades for an M38.

I wouldn't retap the rear sight for an English thread. Look on Ebay and you'll see that you have a valuable sight. If you can raise it without the tiny screw in place, everything's OK - the tiny screw may have been there for very fine adjustments like would be done at the arsenal to regulate the sights for ball ammo. You might get lucky and find a metric replacement, either specifically for that sight or a standard metric screw that will fit. I don't like altering something unnecessarily, but that's just me.

Here's a link to a good discussion of Swedish front sight heights. http://forums.gunboards.com/showthre...t-sight-blades
    Last edited by higgins; 01-07-2015 at 05:36 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    the front sight blade is stamped -05 I think from the chart .255
    The rear sight work excellent I am not sure about the little screw and what it was used for.The hole is to small to re-tap and like you say they sell for a good $$$

Boolit Grand Master

The little screw provides fine elevation adjustment for proper zero. The rear sight elevation is set at 200 meters as in your photo. Then at 200 meters the POI should be slightly low with 6.5 Service ammunition or equivalent load. The screw is turned in (raises the rear sight) until POI is at the desired point at 200 meters. The rear elevation dial is then "calibrated" and good to 600 meter range settings.

Larry Gibson

Boolit Buddy
    I see the little screw on the inside bottom part were the large screw adjust for the height.I would say from looking at it from the underside of the sight some one must of turn it in and maybe from being frozen the head of the screw sheared off the body of the screw shows a little maybe if I am lucky I will soak it in Kroil Oil there is enough showing I may get lucky to remove the broken screw.
    If all fails I will just add a new front blade and file it down to were I want the bullet to impact on target at 100 yards

Boolit Buddy
    Lonewolf ,
    You will like the 129gr. bullet...I use it w/35.0gr. H4895 and its very good groups at 100yd. HTH.

Boolit Buddy
    I been flipping the coin around to order a base mount either go with S@K or BrenShock
    I like the idea no need to remove the rear sight mount it is all steel seem he got some good reviews.

Boolit Buddy
    I did have a chance yesterday to see how the taller front sight does at the 100 yard target .I did order the .295 in height from E Gun parts and it shot about 2" high at the 100 yard target the rear dial was on the lowest setting.The tiny screw removed from the circle dial
    I am not use to shooting the iron sight at the 100 yard target most of my shooting with long guns wear peep sight.
    The u notch and the partridge style front blade is not easy for old eye but still my group was average 4"to 5" spread.
    I hope my gun likes IMR4350 at 50 yards I can shoot one hole groups with 120 140 grain bullets .
    I am going to mount the scout scope set up and see how it runs at the 100 yard target .
    I read some say RL22 powder is a great powder for the sweed .
    I have on hand H414 IMR 4064 IMR 3031 and IMR 4350