WidenersReloading EverythingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders JerkyRepackboxTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Load Data Lee Precision
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anybody heard of Arsenal molds?

Boolit Master

Anybody heard of Arsenal molds?

I was browsing through e-bay, looking at stuff I can't afford, and came across this...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bullet-Mold-...item1c4be92958

I did a quick Google search, but found nothing.

New supplier, perhaps?
    "When you can't make them see the light, make them feel the heat." - Ronald Reagan

Banned

They look like NOE moulds that were not sold. Or maybe the shop he was having them made at are now doing them too.

Boolit Grand Master

Sure does look like a NOE mold. They're even from Utah. Looks like they're using a roll pin as a sprue plate stop on the opposite block.

Boolit Master

No, I have not heard of them, but not a bad looking mold. I did notice in the description he used 'air grooves' for vent lines, haven't heard that before.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Boolit Master
    They look like NOE's old style, same part of Utah as well. I wondered if they were NOE selling off leftover old style, a copy, or an old supplier when I found them. They did not show the sides of the blocks when I first saw them a few months back.

Boolit Grand Master

Looks familiar, ask Al @ NOE if he's familiar with them.
    Last edited by TXGunNut; 01-04-2015 at 03:05 AM.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

I believe they are from Al's former employer. Someone told me that.

Pic of the bullet used in their 311331 auction appears to be a 311284. I just cast some of the 284 the other day, using Swede's first group buy mold. Casts like a dream, I imagine these would too.
    "If people let the government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny."

-Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Master
    Never heard of them until now. The pic of boolit in the "311331" mold listings does look like the 311284 however the mold itself only has two lube grooves not three. Molds look ok though.

Boolit Grand Master
    Given that Orem is right next door to Provo, I'd be flabbergasted if there was no connection between NOE and Arsenal. I wonder if these are from his former employer trying to horn in on what has developed from a part-time evening gig to a flourishing business.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RobS View Post
    The pic of boolit in the "311331" mold listings does look like the 311284 however the mold itself only has two lube grooves not three.
    I don't agree... this looks exactly like a -331 to me... That top groove isn't so much a lube groove, as there's no driving band in front of it... Can't remember what that groove is called, but it does have a specific name...

The -284 has 2 lube grooves and what appears to be a 2 radius ogive. This -331 ogive looks closer to a 1 radius design, with a longer bore ride than the -284... And it's a single lube groove, like the -329, -332, -334, and -335 designs from Ideal/Lyman.... Check the pictures at the Ol' Buffalo Bullet Mold Tables...

And it is tempting....

He took the bullet pic out, but it had two lube grooves, not counting the groove ahead of the check, or the cleaning groove, which some call the crimp groove. Shorter nose than the 331 and 331 has only two grooves, but this time counting the one above the check. Anyhow, he got it fixed. The longer nose of the 331 might work better in one of my Krags. 284 has the .311 sized top band hitting the throat before the ogive gets to the rifling. Course I could just bump the front band down a tad, rather than get a different mold.
    "If people let the government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny."

-Thomas Jefferson

I believe the proper name for the groove in question is "Scraper Groove".

This same outfit was advertizing mold block blanks a few months ago, too but, no names on the blocks. He also advertized blank brass blocks.

I'm sure that there is a connection of some sort to Al because of the location and the design of the blocks. He may not make them but, I'm sure he knows who is making them.

Frank

Boolit Master

1720 miles East of Wall Drug, North of Cooperstown, NY
    Why doesn't someone ask him?

Oh wait someone did, yes it was I, that did. I own 2 Arsenal molds now. They are everything that Al's molds are, a true pleasure to cast with, check his feedback on evilbay for this a "Molon Labe" feedback. Yes originally he had a photo of a 311284 in his adds, and there was only 2 photos, none showed the company name until after my purchase and many emails.

Quote from Jared, Blackjeep77:

"Ken-
    We would be happy to combine ship for you.
    Just so you know we aren't NOE. We use to make molds for Al at NOE for years but when he pulled the molds in house we were left with a fair amount of inventory that we are trying to recoup on. The quality is the same as we made for NOE and I believe you would be very happy with these. But in all fairness I thought you should know.
    Thanks

Jared

- blackjeep77 "

Long live the cast boolit,
    Ken

Last edited by Screwbolts; 01-07-2015 at 02:04 PM.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Je suis Charlie
    Remember Lavoy!
    I'll cling to my God and my guns, and you can keep the "Change".

Boolit Master

This is what I ran today threw a 2 cavity 311331, I would own a 4 cavity but he didn't have them listed until 2 days after my purchase, this is 14.25 pounds of boolitz, 450 +/-. took 1 hr and 40 minutes, bottom pour 20lbs lee. 2nd time running this mold, my P14 303-06 loves them, my 303 brit should also. .3125 on the bands and .3025 on the nose with my alloy today (range scrap). Range scrap and lino 2 to 1 was .313 bads ans .303 nose. first small run

I cast these 2 days ago with a 3 cav. 358-135 RF. 19.25 lbs. 1000+ . have another 3000, 9mm cases on the way. Beautiful.

Yes I have heard of them and would not hesitate to buy more of them.

anyone want a just broke in 2 cav. 311331 same price and I will pay shipping to you. I want a 4 cav!!!! :-0
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Je suis Charlie
    Remember Lavoy!

Boolit Master

Heated up my Arsenal 358-135 RF in 3 cav. again today after posting the above photos, ended running a full LEE 20 lb pot and 5 cast boolit ingots of the same alloy, haven't weighed the pile yet, but there should be another 1000+ of them. My range scrap, .358 on the money 136.5 gr today.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Je suis Charlie
    Remember Lavoy!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Screwbolts View Post
    Why doesn't someone ask him?

Oh wait someone did, yes it was I, that did. I own 2 Arsenal molds now. They are everything that Al's molds are, a true pleasure to cast with, check his feedback on evilbay for this a "Molon Labe" feedback. Yes originally he had a photo of a 311284 in his adds, and there was only 2 photos, none showed the company name until after my purchase and many emails.

Quote from Jared, Blackjeep77:

"Ken-
    We would be happy to combine ship for you.
    Just so you know we aren't NOE. We use to make molds for Al at NOE for years but when he pulled the molds in house we were left with a fair amount of inventory that we are trying to recoup on. The quality is the same as we made for NOE and I believe you would be very happy with these. But in all fairness I thought you should know.
    Thanks

Jared

- blackjeep77 "

Long live the cast boolit,
    Ken

He told me the exact same thing a few months ago when he first started seling them on ebay. At that time, there was no name on the molds. Arsenal is something fairly new. I found that after shipping and border fees thanks to the global shipping program that I can get 4 cavity molds directly from Al for the same price as a 2 cavity mold from Arsenal off ebay. They do look like very nice molds though.

Boolit Master

To be totally honest, I would never buy a 2, 3 or 4 cavity mold for that matter, if I knew there was a 5 or more cavity version available. I wanted to try the shown designs and I bought the largest number of cavities that were for sale at the time from the vender. I would have bought 5 cavities of each if they had been listed.

All my Aluminum/Brass 5, 6, and 8 cavity molds are a pleasure to run, pour alloy threw. They heat up fast, drop lots of consistent boolitz in the shortest amount of time.

Fortunately, I do not have to deal with import "Taxs", Border fees.

Ken
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Je suis Charlie
    Remember Lavoy!

Well, I just bought one of the Arsenal 4cav, 311331 molds off fleabay. I have several rifles that might like these boolits, a 30-06, 30-40Krag, FR8 in 7.62x51, and maybe even my K11 Swiss in 7.5x55. I also wonder if the nose is 'round enough' to use in a tubular magazine. Looks like it may be OK, but likely too long for a 30-30 to feed and chamber. I am always happy to have a 4cav rifle mold. Many of my rifle molds are only 2 cav, so a 4cav is a big deal for me. I also recently bought one of the Saeco 311-165 TC molds that were discontinued from Midway. So, I have new medium weight and heavy weight 30cal molds on the way. Should be big fun when I get back to casting after the weather warms up some. We are having a spell of near or below zero weather right now. Something that never happens here in the NC foothills. I grew up in south Florida and don't like our normal winters. This zero degree weather is tough!...DanM
    Last edited by DanM; 02-20-2015 at 04:48 PM.
    Ten Bears; "You are the Grey Rider. You would not make peace with the bluecoats. You may go in peace."
    Josey Wales; "I reccon not."

Charlie Waite; "Men are gonna die here today, Sue, and I'm gonna kill them."

Made in U.S.A.
    Interesting - I sub contracted to them for some time but it didn't work out as a long term thing.
    Could never get the volume I needed to make a living.

The way it all went down I think this is kind of a kick in the seat of the pants.
    Let alone they had full access to all my drawings - not cool at all.

We are not associated with them in any way and are requesting that they don't use
    our name as a reference in any way shape or form.

Bullet maker, maker
    Swede Nelson
    The expectation of evil is more bitter than the suffering -OR-
    More people die from worrying about getting ate by a bear then get ate by a bear.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast