Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Snyders JerkyInline FabricationLoad DataRepackbox
Titan Reloading Wideners

Thread: 45-70 what to buy?

Banned

45-70 what to buy?

i have a handi-rifle(synthtic stock) in 45-70. i'm also getting a williams peep sight and firesights. i think the old trapdoor loads will help me out.(had a stroke, right side of my body is only 30% good)since i handload(rel7, h4198, varget, h322, benchmark, trail boss), i think that i have two bullets that i can load. one is a 350gr rnfp http://www.dardascastbullets.com/mm5..._Code=4570RNFP that has a bhn of 16. the other, is a 405gr fptbb http://www.crownbullet.com/c4570.html with a bhn of 12.

this 45-70 will be used to shoot deer and maybe black bear at no more than 100 yards, with 50 yards being more likely. velocity should be around 1200-1500fps. the trail boss load will kill the mean paper targets and even meaner soda bottles!!! i think that gas checks won't be needed.

should i take the 405gr or the 350gr?

thanks!!!

Boolit Master
    I prefer the standard old 405gr loads, BUT if you were to run a reduced charge (low recoil) 340-350gr you could do everything you wanted to with minimal recoil. Not that 405grs have a ton of recoil, but it may be too much for your issues, only you can decide. I don't have any 340s cast up at the minute but I might have some 405s I could send you a few to do a couple of test loads with, I will have to check I might be down to heavier stuff at the moment. What part of the country you located in?

GoodOlBoy
    Yes I can be long winded. Yes I follow rabbit trails. Yes I admit when I am wrong. Your mileage may vary.

Keep your powder dry. Watch yer Top knot.

"Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!"

Yes there were "Short" 45 Colts! http://www.leverguns.com/articles/taylor/45_short_colt.htm

the 405gr pushed by the IMR4198 is my choice , I am using it in my Marlin nothing walks a way from a hit, even using trap door loads

where rocks are shot at & milk jugs, too...
    405 grainers are great, but with the lighter handi rifle with a synthetic stock I might opt for the NOE 460-350 Ranch Dog copy, should be less recoil than the heavier boolit.
    “Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened."

Winston S. Churchill

Banned
    thanks!!! i sat down with the rifle on a rest and i shot 10 of the remington 405gr ammo. i think it ran about 1300fps. i figured i could run it to about 1500fps or more. the remmy ammo didn't even hurt me!!!!

i live in southwest PA.

Perma-Banned

I really like the 405 grain for most of my shooting. It is a nice load that is not bad to shoot as long as you do not push it.

Boolit Buddy

I like the 400gr range on a hunting bullet as well.

I recommend the book: "Forty Years with the 45/70" by Paul Matthews. There is lots of great load info there utilizing both 350 & 400 gr bullets. Enjoyable read also.

Le Loup Solitaire
    I use the Lyman 457124, supposedly a 405 grain round nose, but actually casts at around 385 grains. At velocities around 1200-1300 fps you can hunt just about anything in North America. The recoil is not aggressive and with some tinkering the grouping can be improved. With IMR 3031 performance can be increased significantly, but the recoil factor goes way up...not fun! Same for the use of 500 grain bullets..if you like or need that sort of thing, by all means enjoy it. Gas checks are not needed. LLS

Banned
    i'm really new to the cast bullets. but i've been into reloading for years. from the 20vartarg to 444 marlin its always been jacketed bullets. i do have a question. is it easier to load bevel based or gas checked bullets? easier meaning more accurate. i have some from carolina ( http://www.carolinacastbullets.com/R..._Outdoors.html ) that have gas checks from .311" and .430". would it be easier to get 350gr rnfl gcin 45-70?

Boolit Master
    I would add another option to your list, if I may. How about a Lyman 457122HP? Mine weighs 335grs as cast, and that is plenty heavy for deer/hog/black bear size game, and the HP allows expansion at a fairly mild 1200fps, even though I load mine to 1350-1400fps out of my H&R BC. 1400fps loads with Unique recoil less in my BC than my Marlin 336 .30-30 does with full power loads, so they are good and gentle on my shoulder and my gun. I use an RCBS 405gr FNGC for my Marlin 1895, but those loads aren't as shoulder friendly as the 335gr loads are.
    I passed my last psych eval, how bout you?

Boolit Master

In the handy rifle I would think a lighter boolit would be more comfortable to shoot.
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

Boolit Grand Master
    Can't speak to the 350 gr range boolits yet, but I cast a 415 gr boolit and drive it with 30 grs of 4198 and a tuft of Dacron. Mild recoil and DRT performance every time (so far).

I don't have much experience with Black Power loads and this cartridge, but that might be worth looking into, as well. The softer acceleration of BP might be just the ticket. Others here with real experience might comment.
    Last edited by 725; 01-04-2015 at 08:12 AM.

Boolit Master
    I have a Handi in 45-70 that I shoot the NOE 460-405 over 36gr of IMR3031. Very mild and produces excellent groups out to 200 yards.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	200yds.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	78.8 KB 
ID:	126265

Banned

lyman 457193 405 flat nose, drops for me @ 415 grains and .459" with 1:20 alloy. a killer accurate boolit in any .45-70 s/s and i've used it with the buff classic and cimarron '74 sharps and pedersoli rem bodine roller. for smokeless, i've loaded it with both trail boss and aa5744, under a .030" card wad. without a doubt, the aa5744 is best for any distances over 100 yards, extremely accurate at 200 yards, it's my go-to match boolit at that distance. i have no doubt it will kill any critter in north america.

Quote Originally Posted by 725 View Post
    Can't speak to the 350 gr range boolits yet, but I cast a 415 gr boolit and drive it with 30 grs of 4198 and a tuft of Dacron. Mild recoil and DRT performance every time (so far).

I don't have much experience with Black Power loads and this cartridge, but that might be worth looking into, as well. The softer acceleration of BP might be just the ticket. Others here with real experience might comment.
    Kind of the opposite - for equal performance, smokeless loads kick quite a bit less than black powder loads. 405gr. at 1200 fps propelled by Unique is really nothing, but 405gr. at 1200 fps propelled by black works you over after a while in a light rifle like a Handi or a Trapdoor. Black sure is more fun though!

-Nobade

Boolit Master
    tdoyka I checked and I don't have a single 405 gr cast and lubed at the moment. All I have left are a few 450 grs that I recently bought out of S&S. Sorry I couldn't help atm. When weather clears up and I get to feeling better I am going to cast some more and may can help you out then if you still haven't decided.

Richard
    Yes I can be long winded. Yes I follow rabbit trails. Yes I admit when I am wrong. Your mileage may vary.

Keep your powder dry. Watch yer Top knot.

"Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!"

Yes there were "Short" 45 Colts! http://www.leverguns.com/articles/taylor/45_short_colt.htm

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodOlBoy View Post
    tdoyka I checked and I don't have a single 405 gr cast and lubed at the moment. All I have left are a few 450 grs that I recently bought out of S&S. Sorry I couldn't help atm. When weather clears up and I get to feeling better I am going to cast some more and may can help you out then if you still haven't decided.

Richard
    thanks!!! i think i am going to try crown bullets in 405gr.