Inline FabricationReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Load DataTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Lee Precision Wideners

Thread: new to me model 94

Boolit Mold

new to me model 94

Hey guys, not new here but don't post much. I just picked up a Model 94 in 32 WS that the serial number dates to 1904.(299xxx) My question is, the serial number has a letter L in front of it. I have searched the interweb in vain for an explanation. Anybody have any ideas? This rifle has a beautiful patina and pretty decent wood for a 111 yr old gun. Bore is bright and shiny. If it ever stops raining around here, I'm going to give it a good wringing out and see how she shoots. I'm thinking about spending the money and getting a letter from the Cody Museum. It might be interesting to know what the old factory records show. Anybody here done that? Thanks!

Boolit Bub
    Robert Renneberg in his book Winchester Model 1894 mentions that Winchester would continue to use number stamps as they wore out making the "1"s look like "L"s or inverted "1"'s as he calls them. This would mean that your rifle might actually be in the 1.3 million serial number range meaning it was made much later. The book has a photo of one such serial number.

I have a soft spot for older 94s but don't own one. As a child, I used to save money and buy single 30-30 cartridges at the hardware store (they used to do that, sell partial boxes). When I went to visit my Uncle Junior he would let me borrow his 94.

My brother bought a new model 94, but he inherited Uncle Junior's when he passed. My brother sold the new one and kept the older. So I still get to visit with it.

One day I'll get my own. Enjoy yours.

Take care, Tom

Boolit Mold
    Thanks for the replies. Mr. Gordon, you may have something. After closer inspection, the "L" is a bit suspect. It could be a 1. The left side extensions may disappear because of the roll of the receiver in that area. That would put it in the 43-48 range where no records are available.

Boolit Master
    If the forend barrel band has a flat profile then it's probably a 43-48 gun. If the band has a domed profile then it may not be a "wartime" gun.

I have an 1891 3rd model 1873 that has a letter deignation before the serial #. It is definitely not a # stamp? Through all the research I can find, there were no such stamps by Winchester. I guess I am going to have to shell out the money and write Cody.