RotoMetals2Inline FabricationLoad DataRepackbox
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionWidenersSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters Supply Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: .735 Round Ball and H&R Ultra Slug Hunter

I am using the Lyman .735 When I load them I always make sure to put the sprue up. Not sure of it maters or not but I am sure that if the sprue is loaded in different directions it will show on the targets

Banned

Sorry for need for clarification, you mean pointing at the sky up, i.e. 90 degrees from muzzle, or in line with muzzle? Pointing down range makes sense as it avoids the rifling. Up as in up in the hull up, right? I assumed you were using the Lyman mold, which is why I was asking about the sprue. They all have a proud sprue.
    Thanks

I wish I could find some steel powder around here.I have almost shot up all of my blue dot and the long shot is starting to get hard to come by. My .735 round balls weigh around 585 grains with the lead mix that I have in the pot now

I load them so the sprue is pointed to the sky

Banned

Interesting. Thanks. No more from me, as I have doubled your post count.

Boolit Master

LH, these folks have Steel, on sale no less! Another member put me on this last week and I bought some, but have not received yet. Musta shipped by wagon train. I haven't found Longshot in a year...585 grns, man that's gonna hurt.
    http://www.brunoshooters.com/mm5/mer...t=60&Offset=60
    Last edited by Hogtamer; 01-03-2015 at 06:33 PM.

Boolit Bub
    Nice results indeed leadhead. I will have to work on those round ball loads after I get the 525 slugs tamed.

In Remembrance

interesting: you inverted the aa12 gas seal.

Can you expand on that? what made you try that? how did you modify it (cut petals, etc) to get it to work for your purpose?
    what does it look like after being fired?

why over the hard card instead of under it?

Interested!

C-
    "...the civil libertarians and rationalists who are ever on the alert to oppose tyranny "failed to take into account man's almost infinite appetite for distractions." In 1984, Orwell added, people are controlled by inflicting pain. In Brave New World, they are controlled by inflicting pleasure. In short, Orwell feared that what we fear will ruin us. Huxley feared that what we desire will ruin us. This book is about the possibility that Huxley, not Orwell, was right.” -N.Postman

IMO that is impressive. I did a search and have seen pretty good results from the big balls in shotguns. One of a CB threads from back in 2008 showed 2 to 3" groups @ 100 yds with a screw in rifled choke tube. I have heard of it being easier to get accuracy from than the Lee 1 oz. I have thought about using it where the shots cannot go past 100 yds. I was just thinking if that ball would kill a deer though. One of my main concerns when getting to the hundred mark is a November 10 to 15 mph crosswind with gust up and possibly pass 20 mph with the speeds usually used with that bowling ball. With just fluctuating 5 to 10 mph winds that ball can move around a bit opening up groups that would be otherwise very exceptional. The wind flags would have to come out almost in the hunting blind @ 100 yds. I think maybe why it does so well and other big balls is regardless if the wad column cants at ignition and down the barrel is that there is only one point basically on the bottom of the ball that is generally centered instead of the bottom rim of a slug. Here is a little data on ballistics of a 73 cal ball @ 1400 fps. I have an 835 with catilever barrel so the scope height is a little higher providing a seemingly flatter trajectory. I don't think you would have to worry about TOF though, nothing like jumping a ball like jumping the string.

Yards Vel Fpe Drop Drift TOF

0 1400 2592 -2.2 0.0 0.000

25 1241 2037 0.6 0.6 0.056

50 1120 1658 1.8 2.4 0.120

76 1039 1428 0.9 5.4 0.193

100 982 1276 -2.2 9.0 0.264

125 929 1141 -8.1 13.4 0.343

150 881 1026 -17.0 18.7 0.426
    Last edited by OnHoPr; 01-10-2016 at 05:40 PM.
    May you hands be warmed on a frosty day.

The gas seal is cut off of a Winchester AA 12 was and is turned over sitting on top of the hard card was making a cup for the ball to set into. After firing them they are in great shape almost look like they could be used again

In Remembrance

thx.
    And great groups, so 'well done'.
    C-
    "...the civil libertarians and rationalists who are ever on the alert to oppose tyranny "failed to take into account man's almost infinite appetite for distractions." In 1984, Orwell added, people are controlled by inflicting pain. In Brave New World, they are controlled by inflicting pleasure. In short, Orwell feared that what we fear will ruin us. Huxley feared that what we desire will ruin us. This book is about the possibility that Huxley, not Orwell, was right.” -N.Postman

Boolit Buddy
    This thread gives me the heebie-jeebies! GOOD heebie-jeebies! There is actually hope for me then. I will be testing my .735 round balls out of a Rifled Mossberg barrel by end-January. I look forward to even a 2 or 3 - inch group at 50 yards.

[I am simply replacing shot from target loads...Replacing the plastic wadding with a card card column, using COW buffer, and reducing powder by 10%]

Boolit Grand Master

If I had a rifled gun my choice for slug would be either (or maybe both) 0.735" round ball or Paradox style slug. However, in your case the Paradox style slugs usually run around 750 grs. +/- so difficult to accommodate just replacing payload in factory shells.

I was seriously thinking about getting a rifled gun but now that I am out of work that won't be happening, at least until I am working again.

Should I get the rifled gun, my 0.735" RB mould will be steadily employed.

The shooting I did with 0.735" RB's in my smoothbores and the one round of testing in rifled gun were with range scrap alloy of about COWW hardness and unlubricated. I got no leading at all in either the smoothbores or rifled gun. However, I think for steady use in a rifled gun I would tumble lube the balls or use a felt wad soaked in softish lube under the ball to ensure there was some lubrication getting to the bore.

I will be following with interest to see your results. Certainly leadhead 500 has his load and gun dialed in with the 0.735" RB's.

Personally I think the 0.735" RB is an obvious choice for slug and I am surprised more people don't use them.

Good luck and keep us posted. I have enjoyed following your quest for accuracy with your shotguns.

Longbow

Banned
    Greetings, What a treat for 12 ga full-bore .735 RB lovers.
    Leadhead 500 thanks for sharing it.
    I'm sure our visiting friends would like that.
    * * * I wanted to give it a Good rating but could not as the Star Ratings need to be changed to 3 Stars as Good.

Best regard,
    Ajay K. Madan
    Super Blazing Sabots
    Last edited by SuperBlazingSabots; 03-01-2021 at 11:46 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12