MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersInline FabricationReloading Everything
Load DataSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Titan Reloading Repackbox

Thread: Air compressor question

Air compressor question

I need some advice on selecting an air compressor for powder coating. I have a 1/3 HP 3 gallon pancake that I use for my nail gun but I'm concerned that it may be too anemic for the HP powder coat gun. Since this compressor will be used only for PC I really don't want to spend the big bucks. I found a 2HP 8 gallon compressor that is reasonably priced. Will this get the job done?

What you have will work fine. At 10-25 PSI, you won't empty your tank on a batch of boolits.

Boolit Master

at 5 psi at the ES gun it would take a dead compressor to not have enough pressure (joke here)
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

That little pancake compressor will work fine. No need to spend more money.

Thank you Gentleman. I'll stick with what I have and save the extra money for a new gun!

Boolit Buddy
    I actually use an 8 gallon portable tank which I fill with air. Started using it years ago when I was applying various spray and bake finishes. I fill the tank to 100psi and can spray about 600 boolits at 12-15 psi before I have to recharge/refill it with air. I have a cheaply regulator on it and a 1/4" 20-25' hose. It's great for consistent air when spraying and will run a brad nailer - without close electricity - but I think it's probably over kill for ESPC. It is nice not to have to deal with the PC cords and a heavy air hose at the same time.
    Smooth is Fast

Boolit Buddy
    Same...All you need is a few quick passes, the powdercoating doesn't have to be thick at all. I've tried the Piglet Method/TES method, so thin to where you can see the shiny lead quite clearly under the coating and have had no barrel leading. Light powdercoating with a gun produces great results, and you can get a nice thick coat just fine with a small compressor.

Boolit Buddy
    I have a bigger tank on my compressor and several hoses hooked up at the same time (going other places in the shop). More leaks from the QD connectors than is used by the ES spray. I do get a pressure drop in the hose so I need like 10-15 psi set to get 5psi. This make a little problem in that the first burst is heavier. Several have a regulator added closer to the gun to beat this. So your compressor will work great!

Ed C