Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataReloading Everything
RotoMetals2RepackboxTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Snyders Jerky Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Venison Liver & Onions

Boolit Grand Master

Venison Liver & Onions

Not much else to do today so I had a dinner I've been looking forward to for awhile. Thawed some liver from the spike I killed a few weeks ago, started a pot of beans with my coffee this morning and a plan began to fall into place. After I sized, heat-treated and lubed a few boolits and sized some brass I got down to business with my Lodge chicken fryer skillet. Fried a few taters & onions and then the liver; cut into strips and dredged in seasoned flour. A nice pan of cornbread came out of the oven as the last of the liver was done and this old fat man had an awesome dinner of comfort food. A fair bit of liver never made it to my plate, as soon as it cooled enough it was fair game for finger food.
    Can't help but think 2015 is off to a pretty good start.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Buddy

Don't get no better than that sounds great to me. Have a Happy New Year!!!
    My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

spstocksandgrips.com

Texan Loadmaster Model T, Lyman All American Turret, Forster Co-Ax,

Boolit Master

That is just cruel, my mouth is watering.

Boolit Buddy
    I'm drooling too, I love liver.

Boolit Master
    I've never figured out how something that smell so good in the kitchen can taste SO terrible.

Boolit Buddy

I'm telling ya cook it the night of the kill in bacon grease with onions. There is no liver taste to it. In fact when it is that fresh it is damn near the best meat on a deer. It does get a little stronger liver taste after it is frozen but it's still good. jroc
    My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

spstocksandgrips.com

Texan Loadmaster Model T, Lyman All American Turret, Forster Co-Ax,

Boolit Master

I just finished up a nice homemade livermush and homegrown egg dinner. Full on liver is a little strong for me, but cut it 50/50 with cornmeal and add sausage spices and it is mighty fine!

Quote Originally Posted by randyrat View Post
    That is just cruel, my mouth is watering.
    You got that right it is my one dish I love .
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Since we are talking liver, has anyone here ever had liver sausage? We used to get it when I was a kid. We would put it over pancakes with maple syrup. Does anyone have a recipe for it? I think it was made with pig liver.

Moderator Emeritus

Deer around here eat a lot of roundup crops, pass on the liver!

Boolit Buddy

Sunday nites in the winter was pancakes, liver sausage, applesause and eggs. Mmmmmm....

Boolit Grand Master

Just finished the last of the liver & onions, looking forward to finding that sow's liver in the freezer but tomorrow it's venison stew, have two lbs of chunks thawing.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Buddy

There's a little greasy spoon type diner about 5 miles from my house that still serves liver and onions on a regular basis. Waitress doesn't even bother to ask me what I'll have anymore.
    Faster Horses, Younger Women, Older Whiskey, More Money! Tom T. Hall.

Boolit Grand Master

Luby's does a nice job on liver & onions too, saves making a mess of my kitchen as well. Too bad there's not one close by anymore.

Boolit Master
    Liver, I likes sum liver sometimes but mostly from birds, ie: ducks, geese, turkeys, swans, or most any kind birds. All the other liver I get I salt and freeze and use for trot line bait. In late winter and early spring it is great for getting them hungry channel and blues to bite. And any kind is good, small game like rabbit, coon, muskrat, fox, beaver. I save it all, slightly salted and then frozen in zip loc bags. I even save the lights and hearts for the same purpose, bait. And deer liver, good and tough and stays on the hooks good and there is a plenty from a deer. And what could be better use than turning liver into a fish fry.

Oh yeah, then there is pate'. Really rich stuff but bird livers are best for that too.

JMHO, 10 ga
    10 gauge: as per Robert Ruark, "use enough gun"

MOLON LABE

"I have a list, and am prepared for widespread civil disorder!" 10 ga

Moderator Emeritus

Not a fan either, 200 pounds of beef on the way and the liver will go to friends.

where rocks are shot at & milk jugs, too...
    We used to have liver & eggs for breakfast at deer camp after opening day. Every year friends would give me the heart & liver, but I've eased off the liver just as a precaution after having cancer. I now pretty much only use the liver for catfishing & it works for snapping turtles too.
    “Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened."

Winston S. Churchill

Boolit Master
    Good point Mary. I hadn't given that one much thought.

Boolit Grand Master

Critters I eat don't see much farmland AFAIK, hopefully no herbicides in that S TX hill country.

Boolit Mold
    Will have to get some liver out to thaw, too bad for everyone else I am the only taker

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast