WidenersLee PrecisionReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Load Data Snyders Jerky

Thread: casting ingots again

casting ingots again

I started with 92lbs or raw ww's a day agoClick image for larger version. 

Name:	20141223_120158.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	35.2 KB 
ID:	125924, made some ingots then took a break. Today I made some more ingots for a total of 60lbs.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20141231_165125.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	27.8 KB 
ID:	125925 when finished. Loosing 32 lbs of junk that was in with the ww's...zink, antimony, steel, plastic ect.ect. Im Happy with the results, 60lbs of clean lead to play with and I got it for free, sorta, the guy wants me to give him some 40 cal. bullets that I make, What would be a good amount I should give him?
    I did the math and if im correct then I should be able to make a lot of bullets, correct me if im off, Just an estimate but if it weighed 60 lbs then that converts to 420,000 grains and if I'm making 175 grain .40 cal. bullets it would give me 2,400 roulds right??? and that's only like half of what I have to melt down so over 4,000 rounds total? I love this, just need to put in the time, and that I really don't mind at all. I was thinking of getting the 6 cavity mold from lee.

Boolit Grand Master

500 commercial 175 grain .40's go over $40. I wouldn't pay $40 for 60 pounds of lead that I had to ingot up myself...
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Master
    200 sized and lubed would do it for me but I know how much work, time and gas involved. Looking good on the smelting and I love my six cavity Lees.

Aaron

Look's like a nice day's work

Boolit Grand Master

Looks like a good days work! What or how much to give him depends on lots of things. Whats the chance that this source could become your main source, or a bigger and better source? A regular source is a coveted thing around here! A couple hundred sized and lubed bullets would be a start. Be careful loading for others. If this comes up, there are lots of liability and legal issues. Happy New Year!

Thanks for the information guys. Yeah we have been taking our cars to them for years now, oil changes, inspections things like that 2-3 times a year, they are nice, do ok work, and they are right down the street, makes it convenient. Our friendship only goes as far as hey how's it been hear's the issue with my car thanks. So making bullets for him however many in exchange for ww's kinda bugs me, but that's what he asked for, so I think I will please him this time with however many, but from that time forward tell him I rather just give him a few bucks or buy lunch for him and his guys, like hoagies or something. He wants the full completed .40 cal. round not just the bullet, and that is taking some time to get to that point and lots of work on my side, but I enjoy it so.... And as was stated earlier he could be a steady place to get ww's and I don't want to loose that. I do have another place where I can get a steady supply of ww's and he didn't want anything in return but I will at least get him lunch, to keep them coming. I have checked about 8 places so far within 35 minutes of me and all said either no, we just gave them out a day ago, we reuse them, come back in a month or two Ect. So now I got my wife asking for me, I'm guessing, hopping that her being a female and asking the guys all sweet and all she will have a better chance lol well see how that works, she is just going to say she is doing projects with stained glass and needs the lead, lol its worth a try. Well I guess I will give the guy like 100-200 completed rounds and see if that's cool with him and hord the rest for me. Hope everyone here had a safe and enjoyable new years.

Boolit Bub
    Instead of making him loaded rounds (which could be problematic, I suppose) you could have him come over and load his own using your equipment and under your supervision. However, this does pose an entirely different risk: He gets into hand loading and casting and you never see another wheel weight from his shop ever again .

Unfortunately, this happened to a friend of mine when he invited me over to load my own instead of him making me some rounds! There was no lead involved, but he got me hooked.
    Last edited by Horseman1; 01-01-2015 at 04:19 PM. Reason: schpelling

Boolit Grand Master

Bartering loaded ammunition for lead makes you a manufacturer and requires a type 6 FFL. Without the FFL, you commit a crime. Will you get caught and prosecuted? Probably not, but felons can't own guns...
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by imashooter2 View Post
    Bartering loaded ammunition for lead makes you a manufacturer and requires a type 6 FFL. Without the FFL, you commit a crime. Will you get caught and prosecuted? Probably not, but felons can't own guns...
    That is an excellent point. I had not thought of that angle when reading this post. Im new to reloading, and I a would absolutly NOT give anyone home made rounds. Especially a guy who works on my brakes.....

I've run into this situation before. The last time I quite happily cast 500 .401 boolits for the guy in exchange for a Lyman mold and handles as well as 50lbs of lead and a new Lee 10 pound pot. I would under NO circumstances actually give, barter, donate or trade loaded ammunition for ANYTHING!! Gently explain to the gentleman why you can't "legally" manufacture ammunition for him. As a business man he will hopefully understand how serious doing something like that is for both legal and liability reasons.

Banned

Get him a box of factory loads and ask for the brass back.

That sounds like a great idea, thanks.