RepackboxWidenersTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters Supply Load Data

Thread: Any one use the Nikon Prostaff in 2x7?

Boolit Man

Any one use the Nikon Prostaff in 2x7?

Any one use the Nikon Prostaff in 2x7? I am concerned with physical durability and holding zero.
    Any comments?

Banned

I had one on my 762x39 ruger. It held zero well and never gave me any trouble but I wasn't impressed with its low light capability's.

Boolit Master
    I have one on a very hot shooting gun and it is outstanding in every way. I like it so much I plan on only buying these 2-7 nikons in the future. What I like about is first the light gathering ability, same as my leopolds. Next I like the clarity, same as the leopolds and last and almost as important the size and weight. I use quick release rings and when hunting season is over I take the scope off and put one of the Simmons scopes on for cast shooting. That way I am not having to resight the scope for hunting again. I know the Nikon could handle the tracking, but I do get tired of shooting and this eliminates some. Put the scope on and 1 shot to make sure its on and I am ready to hunt.
    Look twice, shoot once.

I have one on my 98 Mauser in 9.3x62mm Mauser it has held up well I have no issue with it holding zero even with the recoil. it is not the first Nikon Prostaff I have owned. and my next Nikon Prostaff in 2x7 should be here this week for my 444 Marlin

Boolit Master

If you can't find/don't want a Nikon, I like the Burris 2-7x scope. I use Burris or Leupold on most my rifles, and neither brand has ever given me any trouble.
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

Banned

Nikon has revamped its whole line. Now you have no scopes in the original prostaff range. the new prostaff 5 has replaced the buckmasters and is a bit more expensive then the buckmasters (which weren't all that great either) and are suppose to be decent scopes. But less money you can buy one of the newest generation vx1 leupolds that are an excellent bang for the buck and the new prostaffs are even edging up into the price range of a vx2 and the newest versions of the vx2 are in my opinion as good or better then the Nikon morarchs 3 there selling today. Nikon shelved that old prostaff for a reason. Yes they were good reliable scopes but optically they couldn't compete with the vx1 bushnell 3200, or the redfields. ive owned them all and don't have stock in any of those companys and own as many Nikons (monarchs) as I do leupolds but comparing those 4 lower priced scopes leaves the old pro staff lacking when it comes to low light performance. Nice thing is you can go to natchez now and get refirbs and closeouts for a little more then a 100 bucks and in that price range there as good as youll get. but when the price gets up around 200 you can do a lot better for your money.

Boolit Master
    For sure for near same money I will go leupold also. I bought one of those nikon refurbs also and if I read the warrenty correct because it was refurbed they limited their liability. Any one else see that? I still was happy with the scope!
    Look twice, shoot once.

Banned

the way ive think it goes is that if you buy new you ship it in and they fix or replace it for free for life. Referbs they will do that for a year then after that you have to pay I think its 30 bucks flat rate for return shipping. Ive had probably near 10 of the refirbs and the only one I had a problem with was a buckmaster 3x9 that after about two years wouldn't hold zero. I sent it in and they sent me another refirb vs a new scope. I don't shy away from them. Heck you can get a monarch refirb for the price of a new prostaff and get a heck of a lot better scope. Keep in mind too the reason they have them. Send in a leupold or bushnell elite for repairs and they fix your scope and send it back and it can takes a couple months. Send in a Nikon and they send you a replacement and deal with the repair at there own leisure and sell it later as a refirb. Also a lot of the refirbs are just new dealer samples. I wish leupold would do this so I could get some half price vx3s!!!

Boolit Man
    Thanks everyone for the input. I will look at Natchez for refurbs and consider the VX1 Leupolds. I will be putting
    the first one on a Ruger M77 MKII in 7.62x39 like Lloyd Smale.

Boolit Buddy
    I've got two Buckmaster's, a 3x9 and a 4 1/2-14. I don't hunt with the 4 1/2-14, target's only when I was shooting a lot. I've hqd no trouble with either, worth the money I spent on them. This is really neat. Most the site's I'm on would have been telling the op not to get those junk scope's. Ziess or Night Force. If you happen to have a couple thousand dollars laying around!