MidSouth Shooters Supply Load Data

Thread: source for lyman "M' die expander plugs

Boolit Bub

source for lyman "M' die expander plugs

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2013 pics 052.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	27.2 KB 
ID:	125749Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2013 pics 054.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	25.9 KB 
ID:	125750
    Just wanted to give everyone a headsup that is looking for lyman M type expander plugs that lyman doesn't list.
    I was looking for an expander plug for a lyman m die, to use in reloading for a couple of 41magnum revolvers that I have.
    I contacted member Dave Navaille (goes by deltaenterprizes on the forum) to see if he could make me one.
    The plug will fit a lyman m die and also will fit my rcbs expander die. As you can see, it looks every bit as good as the exp plug that came with the die. (both pics show the exp plug dave made)
    Dave was great to deal with, we exchanged several emails regarding measurements so that I got exactly what I wanted.
    If you need an exp plug that lyman does not make give dave a shout.

Boolit Master

Thanks, 41

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    HAven't used an M die in years to expand the case. Got to Track of the Wolf and buy the expander plugs and the Lee Expansion Die. The TOTW plugs can be modified to different sizes on the lathe for unique diameters and they are cheap
    Regards
    John

Vendor Sponsor

Just a ray of sunshine......
    Chill Wills

Boolit Master

I am pleased that there is an alternative to dealing with Lyman. I placed an order for 31R expanders for both long and short. They lost the first order and have not shipped the 2d order after three weeks.

NOE also makes expander plugs to fit the Lee universal expander die for both rifle and pistol calibers. Special diameters for oversize boolits, too.

Boolit Buddy
    Had no ideal expander plugs were difficult to find. There are plugs that came in old 38 special, 357 magnum. 44 Special and 44 Remington Magnum that no longer work on progressive presses. Chucking the plug up in a grinder or lathe with a grinder will allow the reloader to grind to fit.

F. Guffey

Check Lyman "M" dies out at Optics Planet, they might be on sale....

http://www.opticsplanet.com/s/lyman-m-die

Boolit Master Baron von Trollwhack's Avatar
    FWIW I called Lyman customer service about a month before Christmas the get 2 new expander plugs and several items related to the old grey powder measures. They had them all, the rep was easy to get along with and the items showed up in 8 or 9 days. I've never had a problem with them , even when I returned a mould once and they sent a new one back.

BvT
    Every lawbreaker we allow into our nation, or tolerate in our citizen population leads to the further escalation of law breaking of all kinds and acceptance of evil.
    Since almost all aspects of our cultural existence are LIBERAL in most states, this means that the nation is on a trajectory to dissolution by the burden of toleration and acceptance of LAWBREAKING as a norm, a trajectory back to the dark ages of history.

BvT

Boolit Master
    Good to know that there are several options out there. Like to support the people on this board though.

where rocks are shot at & milk jugs, too...
    I'm using NOE expanders with the Lee Universal expander die & it works great, the Lee die is cheap enough that I might buy a few extra to leave set up for the most used expander plugs.
    “Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened."

Winston S. Churchill

Boolit Mold
    lee expander plugs are not tapered enough to please me too much bell to quick. I make my own on my lathe that don't work the brass as much. but they are cheap and modifying them is probably a better was than making them completely.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 41cal View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2013 pics 052.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	27.2 KB 
ID:	125749Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2013 pics 054.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	25.9 KB 
ID:	125750
    Just wanted to give everyone a headsup that is looking for lyman M type expander plugs that lyman doesn't list.
    I was looking for an expander plug for a lyman m die, to use in reloading for a couple of 41magnum revolvers that I have.
    I contacted member Dave Navaille (goes by deltaenterprizes on the forum) to see if he could make me one.
    The plug will fit a lyman m die and also will fit my rcbs expander die. As you can see, it looks every bit as good as the exp plug that came with the die. (both pics show the exp plug dave made)
    Dave was great to deal with, we exchanged several emails regarding measurements so that I got exactly what I wanted.
    If you need an exp plug that lyman does not make give dave a shout.
    thanks, I love the M dies for lead bullets and may need some help in the way of a slightly larger 44 mag to accommodate .432"+ bullets.

I wonder if he could punch a large diameter hole through them and modify the top so that a powder drop could be mounted on top. now that would be way cool.

Boolit Buddy
    NOE has some of those expander plugs with a hole for powder.

Ed C