WidenersRepackboxInline FabricationLee Precision
Snyders JerkyLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
RotoMetals2 Titan Reloading

Thread: 80 percent lowers

Boolit Bub

80 percent lowers

I know there's got to be a few more do it yourselfer's out there besides me.

I have this aluminum "paper weight" that could use some milling in order to become more useful. Have any of you done your own? What type/brand of Jig did you use? What problems did you run into? And the big one, how was the result?

Happy New Year
    Al

Boolit Master
    Here is a pretty good read on this topic.
    http://www.tacticalmachining.com/for....php?f=10&t=11
    "Don't worry what they think. In the end it is not between them and you, it is between you and God."

Je suis Charlie!

"You won't know until you Actually try it"

"The impossible just takes longer."

"Don't let them beat you down with their inexperience."

"You'll never accomplish what you don't try. " - Moldmaker

Boolit Buddy
    That is an exellent read on that topic! Still not sure that I want one, however.

Tactical Maching is good for jigs. I mill mine.

In Remembrance

I milled mine and it works great. Mine came with a sticker type jig. Got it from EParmory.
    Tennessee Hunter Education Instructor

“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to
    restrain the people; it is an instrument for the
    people to restrain the government-lest it come to
    dominate our lives and interests"
    Patrick Henry

Boolit Master

Got my 80's from a guy, turns out his cousin and I were boy scouts together in the 90's. My jig is "the blue jig", I can't remember the retailer, but its, well, blue.

Not much to say on function. They (the jigs) function. I use them for nothing more than a clamp surface and datum point for leveling the lower so I don't have to indicate the top. Just makes it easier. Not rocket science here.

The result....

Not one failure to fire, feed, eject, not one double-fire, not one unintentional hammer drop, not one issue at the range.

Not one.

I also bought one of those wedges to fix sloppy fit between a lower and upper receiver. It's still in the bag in an ammocan, my halves fit tight with no play without having to force them together.

Yep, worked out nicely. No DROS, no waiting period. Except the time it took to drill and mill (and coat).

Boolit Master
    rabbit that is awesome! Whats the deal with these bottoms on Sportsman Guide with no holes and a jig that comes with it?
    Look twice, shoot once.

I looked at them before. As much as I like to build things myself, I just couldn't do it when a ready to go finished lower costs $50 I just keep extras around.

Boolit Master

I have done several, including a single shot lower for my 50 BMG upper. The machining required is not difficult and the various jigs available all work well enough in helping to hold and locate the lower in the milling vise. I did my first with the guide plates, but the plates block my view of the cutting action so I now just use the side plates to hold the lower so I can see what's happening.

It's true there is no cost savings to be realized in finishing an 80% lower over buying a finished commercial product, for me it was just so I could show my buds my rifle and say that I made it.

The jigs also work for a raw forging as well once the take down pin holes are located and drilled.

Boolit Master
    After building several AR's I decided to give this 80% thing a try after the whole 2012 debacle. It is nice not worrying that my paperweight has a BATF paper trail if things change in the future. The AR-10 I did this year from an 80% has been a real hoot, and was cheaper than a 100%.

I would be interested in one when they get to be cheaper than current 100% lowers, no real desire to pay extra to build one. The AR10 one would be cool.

Honestly, if I did get an 80% I would do the hole drill measurements and not purchase a jig. A little bit of measuring with a starter punch will be a save of $100 or so. They also have the printable ones you can use as a jig for free.

I mean an AR10 lower, by the way.
    Using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Any Cal. View Post
    I would be interested in one when they get to be cheaper than current 100% lowers, no real desire to pay extra to build one. The AR10 one would be cool.
    I paid I think $90 each for two AR-10 80% paperweights. Might have been $80. I can't remember the original price (group buy), only that I bought enough to fill a MFRB CRAMMED full so there was a $10/per unit discount and $12 to ship the whole shebang.

Bottom line though, it's not a money saving gesture. it is an exercise used by those of us who want to exercise our right to own a constitutionally protected product free from govt interference in any way shape or form including serialization, registration, list making, etc etc etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Whiterabbit View Post
    it is an exercise used by those of us who want to exercise our right to own a constitutionally protected product free from govt interference in any way shape or form including serialization, registration, list making, etc etc etc.
    That is why I built my 50 BMG, that and saving $3000. AR lowers are everywhere as long as you don't try and buy during panics.

"The man" already knows where I am and that I have "stuff" because I have already had to send in and be approved for some toys. The ones that are not on form 1's or 4's can be bought and sold with no paperwork from one guy/gal to another.

Boolit Master

hey man, no worries over here. Sometimes if it needs to be explained, it's not for you. People build their own computers too and good for them, I'm sure they get a sense of accomplishment out of doing so.

People build their own computers too and good for them, I'm sure they get a sense of accomplishment out of doing so.
    I understand that mentality too.