RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Reloading EverythingLoad DataLee PrecisionWideners
RotoMetals2 Titan Reloading

Thread: SVT-40 shooters and Collectors?

Boolit Bub

SVT-40 shooters and Collectors?

I have recently acquired a Finnish capture marked SVT-40. I replaced the worn out gas system parts with a new stainless steel set and have been shooting it with non corrosive Russian Wolf, LVE and Serbian PPU ammunition. It is an excellent shooter now that it has been repaired and cleaned. It was extremely filthy. Most of the SVT-40's I have seen are arsenal refurbs anyone have bring backs or other are Tokarevs they shoot?

Boolit Buddy
    yup got one.

Did you buy the new gas system from Bill Berg?

Have not shot mine for 20+ years - that is a long time....I think it was before the large amount and cheap surplus ammo - all I had was Norma brass - and did not want to ding my precious brass.

I am going have to pull the safe queen out and look (import or ?, Russian or SA) - definitely no scope rails.

Geoff in Oregon

Boolit Master
    Jonnytoobad,

I acquired a M40 in 1967 while in college under the GI Bill for $40 and it is "SA" marked. What did you pay for your Tokarev M40? What gas setting do you use with PPU ammo? It is my understanding all M40s had "Rails" for scope mounting of the PE and PU Russian scopes. Mine has the rails.

Adam

Boolit Master
    i wish i had the funds for an SVT40, i really enjoy the 7.62x54r cartridge

Boolit Bub
    Bill Berg indeed made the gas system parts for me and he did an AMAZING Job! Breathed new life into this old rifle.

Many of the guns made in 41-43 didn't have rails milled into them. How did you buy a SVT-40 using the G.i. bill? was that through the DCM (Department Of Civilian Marksmanship?) I am intrigued by this piece of information.

With PPU I use the 1.5 or 1.7 gas setting but my rifle has been opened up to 2.0 by the fins. I replaced the 2.0 gas adjustment nut with a standard 1.0-1.7 version though.

Jonny

Boolit Master
    I had a '42 Finn with no import mark that had the stock redone by Bubba with a green stain. I called it Gumby since they twist and wiggle so much when you shoot them and it was green. Rebuilt the gas system with the stainless cup and piston, and put new recoil springs in it. It had the milled slots(most did), but not the notch for the scope mount(most did not). They are not worth reloading for since they eat up brass like crazy between the oversize chamber w/ fluting, gouging/tearing the rims, and denting the bodies. I sold it after I ran out of cheap milsurp ammo. I worked up a halfway decent cast load that functioned the action wide open at 2.0, but I was still losing 1/3 of my cases each outing even with the mild load.

Have a Finn capture 1941 Tula SVT40 a fellow sold me with a SVT 38 mag installed. It had a SS gas system. Bought complete trigger assembly and springs/firing pin, ect. just in case something broke. A real pleasure to shoot. I shoot Mil surplus light ball. Here's son and grandson taking care of a charging milk jug. http://vid45.photobucket.com/albums/...d/P1010382.mp4
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]The meetings will continue until we find out why we can't get anything done around here. NRA Life Member, Illinois State Rifle Assoc., Chillicothe Sportsmans Club.

Boolit Master
    Johnytoobad,

I went to college under the GI Bill, I bought my Tokarev M40 from a neighbor.

What did your recent Tokarev cost?

Adam

Boolit Bub
    The SVT-40 I have also has an SVT-38 magazine and I have seen at least 2 other Finnish capture rifles with them.

The rifle cost me nothing except for parts and time spent cleaning and shooting it.

Boolit Buddy
    I looked on Gunbroker - there are two going for over $1000. Are they really going for that much?

geoff in Oregon

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunor View Post
    I looked on Gunbroker - there are two going for over $1000. Are they really going for that much?

geoff in Oregon
    Usually, and more for some features or extra clean examples. Mine sold for about that with a died green, sanded stock and an aftermarket repro wood stock that was going to need a LOT of fitting.

Boolit Bub
    I enjoy shooting the SVT-40, accurate on man size targets out to 500-600m. but with its fluted chamber i only use surplus ammo. That chamber is hell on brass and and 7.62x54R brass isn't cheap. enjoy it, shoot it, if you use surplus ammo most defiantly clean it after at the range with Windex then thoroughly when you get it home. if you take care of the old warhorse it will be a nice arms to hand down too your great gran-kids.
    What is happiness "To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women!"
    Conan the Barbarian