Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingInline FabricationLee Precision
RepackboxLoad DataWidenersSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2 MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Marlin vs Henry vs Uberti vs Rossi

singleshot I was just pulling your leg. Glock ads would have you believe dropping guns from helicopters or freezing the guns in blocks of ice has something to do with how a pistol is used. In some respects the '73's ability to shoot upside down falls in the same category. That said the Uberti '73 I held last summer was about the prettiest, well made rifle I have held in a long time. If only.....

Take care

Bob
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

Boolit Master
    Bob, I figured you were sporting with me, but I wasn't aware of the content of the Glock commercials. Thanks for the assist.

I'd be interested to hear the OPs results when he gets a chance to work over his new rifle.

The thing I didn't like about the Henry was the non-existent throat in my Dad's Big Boy 44 Mag. Everything else, including the weight, I could live with. That's the same complaint I have with my Ruger 77/44, no throat. I have to keep rounds with all the boolits I use under 1.6"...more like 1.575". I'm looking for something set up for cast and figured since the '73 main market is SASS and the like, that would fit the bill. Since I've never shot or loaded for one, I can only assume.

I would go with the 1873 uberti. Its a great looking gun and very smooth. I have shot the 1866 uberti and its nice but very heavy. If you are planning on shooting hot loads go with the Rossi. The 92 action will take more than the 73. The 73 is a toggle action which was only created to shoot light cowboy loads.

Quote Originally Posted by hightime View Post
    It sure would be nice of you to buy one of each, then tell us what you think.
    There you go. Just get one of each. Then you can give us all a complete comparison report so we dont have to.

Boolit Grand Master
    Henry. Greatest service and it's American made. Great gun, too.

I bought a Rossi 4 years ago and have put about 1500+ rounds through it with no issues. For the price, I can not complain. For tuning and mods, look up Steves guns.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Mauser48 View Post
    The 73 is a toggle action which was only created to shoot light cowboy loads.
    The '66 and '73 were designed in the era before smokeless powder. The toggle link action was strong enough to handle the black powder loaded cartridges in use at that time. When loading modern smokeless powders, the loads have to be lighter because of the higher pressures developed with smokeless powders.
    As far as actions go, the '92 action is one of the strongest designs.

Boolit Buddy

Congrats bigarm. I have one of the 24" octagons in .357 as well, and it's one of the guns I shoot most. You should have lots of fun with it. You can load anywhere from mousefart 38 spl loads to full blown 357 mag boomers and have plenty of fun. Enjoy.

Boolit Bub
    Have three Rossi 92's chambered for .38/.357mag; all three get many many many many rounds fired through them yearly and maybe one cleaning per year, if lucky. The most common thing that breaks on them is the firing pin tip, even with 38spl and +P loads, and there are only a handful of places you can get a replacement so it's good to have a spare. The receiver screws on the side shoot loose also and we've lost one or two, so that's something to watch for as well.

All in all they function well in spite of the thousands of rounds a year and absolute minimal maintenance.
    Last edited by .30Calibre; 01-07-2015 at 06:29 PM.

Boolit Bub
    Forgot we also have a huge brass Henry Big Boy in .38/.357mag which gets the same amount of abuse (with zero maintenance) as the Rossi 92's in house. While it looks nice, it's *considerably* heavier than any of the Rossi 92 carbine or rifle length models in the same chambering. Feels like twice as heavy. Walking out with the Rossi feels like totin' a 10/22. Walking out with the Henry Big Boy feels like you accidentally grabbed the Garand in your hand instead. The stroke on the Big Boy lever is different compared to the Rossi 92 as well. I find that I short stroke the Big Boy much easier when trying to 'mag dump'. The Rossi 92 lever stroke is 'slicker' and 'tighter' than the Henry, but that's subjective, i suppose. Loading the Henry mag tube with your hand hovering around the muzzle is kinda inconvenient as well, compared to the side loading gate offered with the Rossi 92.

The Big Boy also does this annoying thing sometimes when you are trying to walk around with the action open and the bolt is rearward. If the trigger is inadvertently pulled allowing the hammer to rotate upwards on the open action, the hammer gets caught and jammed in the recess cut under the bolt which had been a small pain to sometimes un-jam; but I'm digressing. The Big Boy has been abused for as long as the other Rossi's, but nothing has ever broken on it preventing it from functioning. Just a tough, well made heavy rifle (less felt recoil impulse too, as a result of the hefty weight). In general however, the Rossi 92 has the edge ergonomically.

Also, for what it's worth, the spent brass kinda rolls out the top of the Henry and falls to your feet. The Rossi 92's all fling brass two or three lanes away from you.
    Last edited by .30Calibre; 01-07-2015 at 06:32 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Picked up the Rossi today. Well, actually picked up two rifles today, the Rossi and a used Marlin Cowboy in 44-40. Both look pretty decent. Hope to get to test them tomorrow. I need to get loading up and running for them. I have ordered a mould from Accurate for the .357, still need to order a 44 mould.

I'll take the Marlin.....Oh boy will that be a dandy. I like the '94 Cowboy and I like 44-40. How sweet is that?

I just ordered a Lee 429-200RF. I borrowed one from a friend and fell in love with that boolit for 44-40, 44 Special and I'm now loading it in 44 Magnum. It feeds extremely well in the Marlin and doesn't lead when sized to .430 and tamed down 44 Mag loads. I had issues with a 429-200SWC wanting to chamber in one of my SAA's and poor feeding on the Marlin but the RF boolit cured that problem.

Boolit Buddy
    I put a Skinner barrel mount peep sight on today and ran a few rounds through the Rossi. Right now I think I am going to like this rifle.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by .30Calibre View Post
    The Rossi 92's all fling brass two or three lanes away from you.
    A lighter extractor spring will take care of that. I have 20" stainless Rossi 92s in 357 and 44. I tuned up both and used extractor springs from Stevesgunz. The empties are much easier to find now and the action works better.

Quote Originally Posted by bigarm View Post
    I put a Skinner barrel mount peep sight on today and ran a few rounds through the Rossi. Right now I think I am going to like this rifle.
    Happen to have a pic?

Boolit Master
    I have seen some nice Rossi's but I have never bitten, I still buy Marlin and I have one American Winchester.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by KCcactus View Post
    A lighter extractor spring will take care of that.
    Good to know. The next time I have to tear the bolt down to fix a cracked firing pin I'll have to try and put one of those srpings in from Stevesgunz then.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Markbo View Post
    Happen to have a pic?
    I will ask my wife to take a picture. She is the computer guru around here.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by bigarm View Post
    Picked up the Rossi today. Well, actually picked up two rifles today, the Rossi and a used Marlin Cowboy in 44-40. Both look pretty decent. Hope to get to test them tomorrow. I need to get loading up and running for them. I have ordered a mould from Accurate for the .357, still need to order a 44 mould.
    Congrats, hope they both work out for you. Please keep us posted on your projects.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast