RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders JerkyLoad DataRepackboxLee Precision
Inline Fabrication Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: This is what happens when you use the wrong powder in a muzzle loader.

This is what happens when you use the wrong powder in a muzzle loader.

This is what happened when an Indiana man ran out of black powder and decided to cut open a few shotgun shells and use the powder in his muzzle loader. It cost him two fingers. The picture is from the Indiana DNR District 7 facebook page. EDIT: I did not realize there was another thread about this accident. Thanks for not jumping all over me for posting a "dupe" like happens on some other forums.
    Last edited by marvelshooter; 12-28-2014 at 01:55 PM.

Boolit Master
    Some folks just have to learn the hard way. He won't ever forget that lesson.

Ignorance is bliss..............

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by pietro View Post

Ignorance is bliss..............

Briefly...........

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
    - Henry S. Haskins in “Meditations in Wall Street”

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rapidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end." ...Unknown

In Remembrance
    There is a long thread here on it, with some interesting opinions.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...fle-Big-Kaboom

And he's allowed to reproduce.......

Boolit Master
    How many times have people been warned about using smokeless in a BP gun? The warnings are all over the gun itself I bet, and they're certainly in the owner's manual. We need a close up photo of the blown up gun, showing the big, capital letters; "BLACK POWDER ONLY!" And "READ OWNER'S MANUAL BEFORE USING. MANUAL AVAILABLE FOR FREE BY WRITING..."

If I may get into cultural/civics issues for a bit; there is so much hogwash written and spoken, and offered up as "expert" opinion or conclusion, one is often tempted to disregard all the warnings. Sometimes I think that must be the goal-- take all credibility away from everyone, especially those who speak the truth.

Salt is bad for you, you need salt. Fat in your diet is terrible, your kids will grow up with brain deficiencies of they don't get enough fat. Carbs are good, carbs will kill you. Alcohol will kill you, wine is good for you. The Earth is going into a new ice age due to capitalism, the Earth is over-heating due to capitalism. I've heard all those things, and much, much more, and if you don't agree with each and every one of them, you should be put in jail as a "denier". Thus everything you read or hear is hogwash, unless you're very, very careful about what you listen to, and the reasoning, principles (if any) and agendas behind it. When it come to firearms, Hoo boy is there a lot of agenda-driven horse feces. Lawyers have to make money, and lawyers are now, essentially, designing products, which of course must have extensive "readme" files of warnings engraved into them. I can easily see people intentionally disregarding all that gibberish as just more of the same tripe they've been hammered with all their lives. Thus the truth has been discredited.
    Last edited by Omnivore; 12-30-2014 at 02:51 AM.

Cast Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by obssd1958 View Post
    Briefly...........
    HA yup!
    Boone and Crockett Club member
    <<----------------<<<<<<
    Pope & Young Club member

Boolit Master
    Yes very bad move and he picked the worse type of powder to boot. Definatly had no clue.

Boolit Mold
    Really horrible that he lost 2 fingers, that shouldn't happen to anyone. But I can't resist saying that a destroyed inline "muzzleloader" is no loss. Stay traditional, from the gun to the powder! OK, I am bracing myself for all the hate mail that will come my way from inline users.

Boolit Master

God Bless that they did not put the fingers in there for that picture.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Adamchek View Post
    Really horrible that he lost 2 fingers, that shouldn't happen to anyone. But I can't resist saying that a destroyed inline "muzzleloader" is no loss. Stay traditional, from the gun to the powder! OK, I am bracing myself for all the hate mail that will come my way from inline users.
    No hate mail from me as I detest inlines BUT that is of course a matter of taste and a lot of the inline owners may feel the same way about my Hawkin(s) but that's the way it should be! Lot's of truth to the old saying "Different strokes for different folks"!

Boolit Mold
    That is not gonna buff out.

Boolit Master

nah, some wood glue and a new barrel, she'll be right as rain. The real trick is holding the glue bottle with only three fingers.

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Adamchek View Post
    Maybe those two fingers will be a constant reminder, that he might hurt someone if he continues to play with guns.

What powder IS NOT BLACK? I know, Bullseye, one of the most dangerous as far as blowing up muzzle loaders, is tan colored. A picture is worth a thousand words! - To get around the volumes of legalese warnings you have to read, they need to print a photo of a blown up gun with the warning "use black powder only or this may happen to YOU!". I have seen some warnings saying "Most gunpowders are black colored including black powder, make sure of your powder!"

rl 1,227
    ~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+
    There is no such thing as too many tools, especially when it comes to casting and reloading.
    Howard Hughes said: "He who has the tools rules".

Safe casting and shooting!

Linstrum, member F.O.B.C. (Fraternal Order of Boolit Casters), Shooters.com alumnus, and original alloutdoors.com survivor.

Moderator Emeritus

As a NYS DEC Hunter Safety instructor, I've passed around in my classes Ram-Rods which were shot (oops) incredible distances at range, and given to me for this educational purpose. I have also projected a photo of an acquaintance who is sans thumb and forefinger after firing a Weatherby with a presumed ice and or snow filled barrel. I'm thinking of printing this image (thank you for posting it!), and adding it to my educational resources. I do feel badly for the now 8-fingered gent -- to his way of thinking at the time, I'd guess he was being both clever and resourceful. A pity he had to learn he wasn't -- a lesson at a most costly price to him.
    BEST..
    georgrkahn

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by georgerkahn View Post
    I have also projected a photo of an acquaintance who is sans thumb and forefinger after firing a Weatherby with a presumed ice and or snow filled barrel.georgrkahn

First off I am NOT trying to say that's not true, in fact my post is more of a question than anything else.

Did any of you guys see that Mythbuster's show (it's only TV, I know!) where they addressed the ice/snow plugged barrel? They took a 30-06 and plugged the barrel by various means trying to get it to burst but it was not until they actually WELDED the muzzle closed did the get a separation and then (IIRC, but to be honest I'm not sure about this part) it blew off just behind the weld! There is no question about what happens if a rifle is fired with a bullet lodged in the barrel but based on the results those guys produced I have to wonder even then about where the barrel would fail if the bullet was lodged at the muzzle? Again I am not disagreeing and I certainly would not want to fire an obstructed barrel, not even with snow, but after seeing that I have to wonder if the dangers of minor barrel obstructions are not a bit "overblown" (pun intended ).

Banned

Shotgun barrels will definitely peel like a banana when plugged with snow. Saw an acquaintance do it before I could stop him.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by zuke View Post
    And he's allowed to reproduce.......
    Normally I'm in favor of allowing Darwinism to function without any interference. The flaw with relying on Darwinism is you must remove them from the gene pool before they reproduce.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast