Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingRepackboxWidenersTitan Reloading
Lee Precision Load Data
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 358 win from a Rem 700 tell me why I should not

How come one fella gets all the talent ?? Ben, that is simply a gorgeous rifle, Period.. And what a display of craftsman ship, along with your incredibly modest and humble personality, hats off to ya, truly impressive ...
    Last edited by butch2570; 12-29-2014 at 01:19 AM.

Boolit Grand Master
    butch2570

Gee. . . . , I wish I was 2% of all that.

Many thanks,

Ben

Boolit Buddy
    has anyone here been in contact with jes concerning reboring?

i have called and left messages, and e-mailed,
    nothing...

anyone hear anything?
    hello.

Boolit Grand Master
    He may be closed for the holidays. He generally calls back in late morning to early afternoon during the week.

Any gunsmith worth his salt MUST severely restrict phone contacts, or the only thing he will do is answer the phone.......and no work will get done. Their time is extremely limited, so don't waste it with unsubstantial questions. Specific to JES, know the chamber/caliber, twist rate, and number of grooves you want cut prior to calling.
    Last edited by 9.3X62AL; 12-29-2014 at 01:12 AM.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

where rocks are shot at & milk jugs, too...
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Mason View Post
    has anyone here been in contact with jes concerning reboring?

i have called and left messages, and e-mailed,
    nothing...

anyone hear anything?
    I left a phone message two weeks ago asking about a rebore & he called back the same day, maybe he is off for holidays or busy in shop.
    “Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened."

Winston S. Churchill

Vendor Sponsor

I left a message Saturday and he called me this morning around 10:30 AM my time.. That would be 7:30 AM his time
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

I would have to say without any reservation what so ever to do it. . The .358 Winchester is a darn fine cartridge.

I took over a year to study the .358 Winchester before I had one built. I would say a 20" barrel in the .358 Winchester will do everything the cartridge needs to do. So really barrel length is up to you but I would feel comfortable with anything from 18" - 22" . As for twist I picked a 1-14 but again a 1-12 to 1-14 would serve you well. For cast bullets I did not even contemplate the 1-16 twist as I felt I might use the 280Gr 358009. But I have not as of yet. The only problem you may have is that your other calibers may collect lots of dust lol.
    If one sits in thundering quiet the soul dies slow instead of yell to the heavens for all to hear and behold the righteous and upstanding and ones of which should be held with tales of woe. By C.A.S. <--- Thats Me lol.

In Remembrance
    The only reason I could come up with against rebarreling your existing rifle, is if you just went and purchased a 358, you would have two instead of one. lol

To date I have not owned a 358, but consider it to be about as close to the optimum cartridge in the 35 caliber as a guy can get for cast shooting.

I'd be inclined to ask Jes if he can cut a 12 or 14" twist rate in a 338 Fed. Could probably run a 225 grain boolit 2,200 fps.

Boolit Grand Master

Can't think of a single reason why not, that's exactly what I'd do if had a rifle like that. I'd go with 1:14 and the 3 groove but that's just me.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by GabbyM View Post
    I'd be inclined to ask Jes if he can cut a 12 or 14" twist rate in a 338 Fed. Could probably run a 225 grain boolit 2,200 fps.
    Now you got me thinking I should convert my 336 to 338 Federal. I know Marlin made them but they were ugly. And the action will feed converted 308 brass......decisions decisions

Quote Originally Posted by TXGunNut View Post
    Can't think of a single reason why not, that's exactly what I'd do if had a rifle like that. I'd go with 1:14 and the 3 groove but that's just me.
    I think someone else said the same thing
    If I convert the 336 to 356 Winchester that will be the specs. There's something about those wide lands and grooves that are appealing.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post

If I convert the 336 to 356 Winchester that will be the specs. There's something about those wide lands and grooves that are appealing.
    I spent a little time on the JES site and called him to ask about it. Told him what I was looking for and he told me the 3-groove would be just fine for my 35 Whelen. He was right, of course.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Grand Master
    My Whelen Ack Imp is a 3 groove done by JES, it is a shooter also.

Ben

Boolit Master
    When I called JES about boring a Remington 700 to 358 win (formally a 243) and asked what he recommended. He said 3 groove (and honestly with out looking I don't recall what twist he did). I figured I leave it up to him and I am glad I did. I have been more than happy.
    Unless you have something specific you want to do in mind I would go with his suggestions.

Boolit Grand Master
    Good advice ! !

Ditto ! !

Boolit Buddy

Ben, that No. 1 is a fine looking firearm. Great looking wood, fit and finish. 358Win. in a No.1, wow. Now you have me thinking, and that will cost money!

Boolit Grand Master
    Yes, to duplicate that again would cost some major bucks ! !

Many thanks for your kind remarks.

Ben

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    Now you got me thinking I should convert my 336 to 338 Federal. I know Marlin made them but they were ugly. And the action will feed converted 308 brass......decisions decisions

I was not aware of marlin ever makeing a 338 federal, when was this, and what was ugly about them.

Boolit Grand Master

Technically they came in 338 Marlin Express and it was in the XLR. Ugly laminate stocks and I'm not a fan of stainless lever actions. In factory ammo the 338MX and 338 Federal are loaded to different levels. W/ reloading they are pretty much equals.

In Remembrance
    Gotcha, yea I new about the 338MX, infact would like to find one. I don't think they were all the xlr version. I have a 308 MX that is walnut and blue, I like the looks of (not as well as a 94) and I have seen at least one wood and blue 338 MX. I maybe should have bought it, but it was at an auction, and they tend to bring top dollar or more at local auctions here.