Lee PrecisionInline FabricationSnyders JerkyRepackbox
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Load Data Wideners

Thread: old metal can to new plastic bottle adapter

Boolit Grand Master

old metal can to new plastic bottle adapter

Does anyone make an adapter to change from the old IMR metal can, to the new plastic bottle????
    I have a powder measure that uses the old can. Now that the old can is a thing of the past, I need something to adapt the new plastic bottle to it.

Boolit Grand Master

I have converted powder measures to using the powder bottles in the past. It would take some pics to get it right describing it. I have converted a Belding and Mull to use powder bottles the most recently. I found a copper fitting ( size adapter) that fit in the measure and the cap I wanted to use. JB weld epoxied the cap into the adapter and then installed and drilled the pin holes for mounting. Drilled the cap thru just under the thread after cured. This made nice adapter.

In your case if you can scavange the spout off a can and leave 1/2" or so around it. you could drill the new cap for the old spout and glue it into the new cap. Or a copper adapter that fits into the old spout and sized to fit the new cap. Solder into the spout and glue new cap in place.

On the new plastic bottles it takes some prep work to get epoxy to bind to them good. I drilled some small holes thru the cap and a tape area to allow a mechanical lock to form, by the epoxy running thru the 6 small holes into the gap and filling both sides. Holes were 1/8" and gap was .060-.090. This mechanical lock is needed or the caps will pull out of the epoxy.

Boolit Grand Master
    That sounds like a plan.
    I'll see what I can come up with.

Boolit Grand Master

What spout do you need to convert from and what cap. With this info I might be able to help you out a little more. I'm assuming the measure is set up for the old IMR cans and you need to go to the newer hornady style caps. Harrels and Sinclairs sell bottle adapters also. With the above info I might be able to make you something.

I bet the Mec shot shell bottles will fit the old metal can screw pattern and the mec bottles can be refilled without removing them Never mind just tried my old metal cans on the my Mec they don,t fit

Boolit Master
    Why don't you just use an old can & refill it from the plastic one? You could even take the bottom off of the metal one with a can opener & then fold the sharp edges to the outside to keep from cutting yourself & then the powder would be easy to ppour into a funnel to return to the plastic one when done & not get hung up in the folds.

f ya don't have an old can, I'd bet someone around this lace has one to send to you.

You would just have to return the unused powder to the plastic one when you are thru for safety, so ya don't mix powders by mistake..

Just like with a regular "modern" style powder measure...

G'Luck! with what ever ya do!
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Grand Master
    The adapter would be....
    Female..IMR old metal can.
    Male...IMR new plastic bottle.
    It's for an old Pacific hand powder measure.
    Don't really need it, but it make it easier to use.
    Can/bottle has to be closed.

Boolit Master

Since epoxy often won't stick to plastic, use it to form an adapter that the bottle can be removed from and replaced.

I have some of the Old Metal IMR cans if you need one PM me I will send it to you They are the skinny rectangle cans Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMR.JPG 
Views:	177 
Size:	17.5 KB 
ID:	207113 is what your looking for