MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLee PrecisionRepackbox
WidenersRotoMetals2Inline FabricationTitan Reloading
Reloading Everything Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: thoughts on using harbor freight arbor press

Boolit Master

thoughts on using harbor freight arbor press

I got a gift card for Christmas and was thinking about getting a 1 ton arbor press from harbor frieght for making some lead wire and possibly drawing some 9mm cases down for jackets. Just wondering what experience you guys have had with the press and if I should just go up to a 6 ton aframe press. This is mainly just going be something to play with.

I have a 1 T Harbor Freight press and it is a good piece of equipment, but for what you are suggesting, I would get a bigger arbor press. Am not acquainted with an "A" frame press but bigger is almost always better.
    Last edited by Dan Cash; 12-27-2014 at 02:03 PM. Reason: typo, punctuation

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Those Cheap HF presses are great for what they are designed for.....pressing arbors on/off wheels and gears. Beyond that, who knows? I have seen several of the in the scrap yards that were broken off at the neck from some kind of abuse at some time!

I have a 1/2T, 1T arbor press and a 10 ton hydraulic frame press I built from STEEL frame material for heavy duty stuff.

I press in/out a lot of mechanical stuff. I do not swage anything gun related. If I wanted to, I would build a dedicated swaging press as well detailed in several threads on here in the past.

banger

Boolit Master
    What the world calls "Global Warming", we in Arizona call "Summer Time."
    I'm using a 1/2 ton arbor press I got from local Harbor Freight store to swage 30 caliber lead bullets for powder coating and in a few weeks I'll be using it to swage my own air rifle pellets. I just have to finish up my pellet Swaging Dies.

It's true that these arbor presses aren't really made for Swaging but, I can't afford a dedicated Swaging press and $40-$60 dollars for an Arbor Press is a whole lot less than the $400-$700 for a real Swaging press. I just had to make my Dies so that they fit concentrically on my Arbor Press that's all.

It's always nice when you can buy the right tools for the job but not everyone is blessed with those resources.

HollowPoint

Boolit Master

I agree i tried doing some swaging on my rockchucker but kinda nervous about putting to much stress on it. Ill have to think about which one I want to use.

Boolit Grand Master

I have a 1 ton arbor press I got from Enco (I believe its a 1 ton). I have used it to put together about 1,000 .38 Specials with a Lee Loader. I do have other presses, but a change up is good once in a while. My arbor press has been used for other tasks one where I put my full weight on the handle (215 lbs), with a small cheater, and bounce on the handle. I would not be afraid to try swaging if I could afford good dies...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Master

I will most likely make a simple set of dies norhing fancy im still learning. I guess the best qustion would be what kind of force do I need? I know when I make lead wire on my rockchucker it seems like it doesnt take a ton of force. More of a steady force that at least seems might be better suited for an arbor press, but I could be way off.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Both have mechanical advantages........RC is a compound lever.....AP is a rack & pinion gear.

You will just have to try the AP to see if you need a cheater bar! Just not too long or you could damage the AP.

banger

Boolit Master

They also have the 6 ton bench top model that is hydraulic press. So ill have to look into it.

Boolit Master

I form lead wire with a setup that has a bore of .82 inches a 10 ton press is not enough force unless i heat the unit to about 350 degrees.
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

Boolit Buddy
    I use a 20 ton HF hydraulic press to make lead wire and I doubt that anything lighter would work well. My ingots are .75" dia and about 5" long and the die is the part that moves during the process. At times it would probably be better if things were preheated but after it is flowing some heat is generated and it extrudes OK.

To be a bit more precise, the die is pushed through the ingot instead of the ingot being pushed through the die.

Boolit Buddy
    Sitzme, could you post a picture of your setup? I have been thinking of making one, and your process seems totally different than anything I have imagined. I would be very interested to see it. I don't mean to hijack the thread on arbor presses.

Roll Tide

Boolit Master
    seated with Him in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus (Eph 2:6)
    I have a 2 ton Enco, I really like it, I use it to draw 9mm cases down to 7mm jackets... sometimes I have to slip on a 30" section of water pipe to the handle to give me a little extra leverage, but other than that it works great
    "Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." -John Adams 2nd POTUS

Boolit Master
    Sounds like a 50 ton HF hyd press would be about right?

Boolit Master
    How much force/pressure does a swage press generate? I never would have thought a 10 ton press was too small...

Boolit Bub
    Can you use the 1 ton arbor press with a punch to work with firearm pins? (to reduce the risk of scratching if the punch slips)

How much force can one generate with a hammer?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cane_man View Post
    I have a 2 ton Enco, I really like it, I use it to draw 9mm cases down to 7mm jackets... sometimes I have to slip on a 30" section of water pipe to the handle to give me a little extra leverage, but other than that it works great
    +1

I have a hf 1 ton and it takes a pipe to swage 9mm/380acp jackets down to turn them into bullet jackets. But I'm only doing 1 draw .380 to .354. I wouldn't even attempt to make lead wire with a hf 1 ton press. I bought it to make gas checks and swage 9mm/380acp cases down and that's about all it's good for.

did you anneal them first?? lube them?
    An armed man in a citizen.
    An unarmed man is a subject.
    A disarmed man is a slave.

Boolit Master
    Theres tons of hydraulic bits and pieces going for scrap every day.Guys are always talking of building presses,when all thats needed is a bit of hydraulic stuff powered by an old car steering pump driven by a 1 or 2 hp electric motor.Ever seen the hydraulic cylinders used to extrude aluminium shapes.Hoses can be expensive,but for small applications ,use airless paintspray hoses,they can be used up to 6000psi.And you never need go over 1500-2000psi for what you want.

Boolit Buddy
    got the 20 ton hf press, lots of pumping involved so ended up getting an air/hydraulic jack, one piece of advice, my compressor went to 140 psig before it shut off, that's enough to make the 20 ton press wreck it's self. put a regulator on it or you will eventually bend everything.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast