RepackboxTitan ReloadingLoad DataWideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Inline FabricationLee Precision
Snyders Jerky Reloading Everything

Thread: Martini Henry Barrel Liner

Martini Henry Barrel Liner

I have a Mk VI Martini that I'm thinking of re-lining to 32 H&R mag. Looked on Track of the Wolf and looks like the same liner that's good for 32-20 will work. What say yee that knows best??? Thanks

Roy
    Hooker53

Boolit Master

The 32-20 liner will work, it has a 1 in 16" twist. The 30 Luger liner will also work with a .311" groove diameter and a 1 in 10" twist for heavier bullets. You can get the liners direct from T.J.'s and cut out the middle man (859-635-5560). If you are planning on using jacketed bullets it would be better to go with a new barrel.

Thanks John for the good info. I'm thinking cast all the way on this one. I will check out the 30 Luger also.

Roy
    Last edited by Hooker53; 12-26-2014 at 08:06 PM.

After having several 32 H&R mag rifles, I would recommend going with a 30 caliber liner or barrel. That way when you get bored with it, you can chamber it out to something bigger. If you plan it right you can get 3 or 4 different cartridges in succession as the mood strikes you. (I'm currently having a lot more fun with the 30 Badger than the 32 H&R.....)

-Nobade

Boolit Grand Master

I bought a liner from TJ's for the old Meridan and can recommend him. After getting 2 defective liners from Midway I was glad to see the liner from TJ was such high quality.

Hello Leadman. IV always used TJ's they are good liners. Don't know who was making them back in the 70's and 80's when I did most of my liners but almost never got a bad one.

Boolit Master

So, does TJ's have a web site?

Sweat or locktite it in (22 LR)?

Old HWZ 28 Falling Block!

Holds minute of Squirrel now even with an enlarged section 3-4" long midway through the barrel.

Almost afraid to mess that up!
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Lois, IV Loctited several in on a .22 and IV never heard of one letting go. If that barrel is shooting that good, I would not mess with it as you stated. Do t think he does have a site as I can't find it if he does.

He doesn't have a web site but will send you a price sheet if you call and ask.

Mike Sayers at TJ's Liners
    TJ's Enterprises
    3652 Neltner Rd
    Alexandria, KY 41001
    859-635-5560

-Nobade

Perm-Banned
    norman Johnson at highplains, turtle lake north Dakota,very very good work.

Thanks for that info znobade. I for the life of me can not decide whether to go with the 32-20 liner or the 30 Luger liner. I know the 30 Lugers twist rate would be better for larger heavyer Boolits but if it would shoot the lighter Boolits just about as well as the 32-20, than that's a no brainier.

Boolit Master
    I've used these liners for a .500-.450 Express and a Bohemian double rifle, and was most impressed by their quality. They are chrome moly steel, and so should be fine both for smokeless powder and jacketed bullets, if properly fitted.

There is a good article on the fitting of barrels with Loctite in "The NRA Gunsmithing Guide Updated". It is, unfortunately, pretty expensive nowadays, either new or second-hand, and although very useful, isn't quite as up to date as the name suggests. The correct grades of Loctite are the bearing fitting ones, not the thread locking compounds, and although the names of these have changed, I doubt if the compounds are very difficult.

The point of Loctite is that it is both gap-filling and elastic. Soft solder is fine if the gap and the fluxing are just right, so that you get a continuous film, never thick, between liner and barrel. But if there is thick solder anywhere, and the liner won't bear pressure on its own, the solder just goes on being squashed out of the way.

It may be that the original article predated the common use of epoxies. I think epoxy would do just as well, although in a rifle which will fire a lot of shots quickly, you should look for a slow-setting, high temperature variety. Loctite required a smooth fit which would enable the liner to be driven all the way home in a single movement, or it may set solid part-way. The same would apply perhaps even more to superglue, which is definitely a bad choice for this job. It has very low gap-filling properties, and I don't believe it resists heat as well as epoxies.

Good info as always my freind. Don't think I will have any trouble getting the li ER in and the chamber cut. I am however having a spell trying to decide between the 32-20 liner or the 30 Luger. I know I wantto shoot heavy Boolits from time to time and that precludes the choice of the 30 Lugar but I do t know if the 30 Luger liner will shoot light Boolits as well as the 32-20. Decisions. Decisions. Lol. Thanks for the post.

Boolit Master

I use Loctite on all my liners and never had one come loose.

I use 303 barrels to make 32-20's and they have a 1-9 or 1-10 twist and they shoot fine so I think the 30 luger liner would give you more options.

hey, watch where ya point that thing!

I'm incline to agree with ya Enfield after doing a little reading. The 30 Luger is what I will order. John i also agrre with you on the Loctite used correctly, Loctite is some strong stuff. Thanks for posting.

Roy
    Hooker53

Quote Originally Posted by enfield View Post
    I use 303 barrels to make 32-20's and they have a 1-9 or 1-10 twist and they shoot fine so I think the 30 luger liner would give you more options.