Inline FabricationRepackboxLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2WidenersLoad Data
Snyders Jerky Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: reloading bench hieght

Cool reloading bench hieght

im redoing my room to set up my hornandy ap auto press ammo plant, and a couple of other ones just wondering what is a good height from the floor too the top of the bench to set my presses on . remember I will be sitting when I reload so I dont want it too high or low??? im thinking around 30 inches what do you guys have???? thanks>>> hound13

I have a 30-inch high table for my reloading. I bought it from office surplus. It works fine.

Boolit Master

I made mine right at 38" works well when i sit to reload or stand to work on my guns
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Boolit Master

Make it so you can sit on a comfortable chair/stool and stand if you want, take some good measurements and it will pay off. I hate my bench and need to re do it so i can sit with my knees under it further (winter project). I screwed up and build shelves even with the edge, think about it and it will pay off.
    Sometimes I sit and sometimes I stand, at least i got the height correct.

Hope you all had a nice Christmas, I ate for two, me and my stomach, that means double of what I should have.

Boolit Master
    I cant remember the hieght of mine but i bought an old operators stool and built the hieght to be a comfortable working height. Those old operator stools are uber comfortable, hieght adjustable and caning on the seat with a adjustabe back rest. I highly reccomend one.
    Lab

Banned
    My benches are 42" tall and work well. I prefer to stand to load but have a bar stool when I want to sit. By the way what is considered standard ergo working height in industry is 38-42 inches

thanks for the info merry xmas to all .....hound2013

I use the workbench in my garage, which I originally built to work at standing up (height is about 36", I think), however I have a height-adjustable office chair which is taller than a standard chair and means I can get the height just right. Like Randyrat, I have a shelf under the part where I bolt down the press, but for me it's great because I rest my left foot on the shelf and can rest my arm on my knee if I need to.

Boolit Grand Master

The length of handle stroke differs between presses. Be sure to consider that when picking a bench height. You can raise the press, or shorten the stool/seat height, but not the other way around.

All these suggested heights will work if you're as tall as they are, 30, 36 & 42 wouldn't work so well if you're only 4 ft tall. I'm 6'2" and hate leaning over. How tall or short are you, is your height all lower or upper body? I have mine set to my belly button. Good thing w/ the ammo plant, you won't have to be there long to crank out thousands of rounds. Be sure to post pics when you're done.

Banned
    All good suggestions. Mine is 34" but I probably should have gone just a bit taller. I ended up getting an adjustable stool from Sam's club and cutting the legs with a tubing cutter. The feet slip back into the hollow tubes and that gave me the adjustment range I needed.
    If you operate your press while seated, I'd pick your chair/stool and plan the height of your bench based on that. If you prefer to stand, go to your kitchen counter and see if that's a good height (probably will be a bit short) and put some books on it until it feels right.
    Good Luck

Frosted Boolits

Mine are all right at 36". I can sit or stand comfortably. I am 5'11" tall.
    My Feedback : http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...iscoyotehunter

An armed society is a polite society.

the BB knows

Quote Originally Posted by jmar254 View Post
    All these suggested heights will work if you're as tall as they are, 30, 36 & 42 wouldn't work so well if you're only 4 ft tall. I'm 6'2" and hate leaning over. How tall or short are you, is your height all lower or upper body? I have mine set to my belly button. Good thing w/ the ammo plant, you won't have to be there long to crank out thousands of rounds. Be sure to post pics when you're done.
    ill try what do you use too put the pictures on here thanks hound13

Boolit Master

kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Boolit Buddy
    Attachment 125432Attachment 125430I really like this set up after trying many others over the years. I am 6'. I can sit or stand and the ergonomics are perfect. 42" table height with a 29" chair.

Boolit Master

Mine is about 33". It is optimal for me to stand or sit on a bar stool.
    Member: Orange Gunsite Family, NRA-Life, ARTCA, American Legion, & the South Cuyahoga Gun Club.

Caveat Emptor: Do not trust Cavery Grips/American Gripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He will rip you off.

Boolit Bub
    Mine is 36"
    I reload sitting on a bar stool. How high is your current setup and what changes would suit you?

Boolit Master

post #10 by jmar254 had it right.

The "one size fits all" concept SUCKS. Long legs, short legs, long waist short waist, long arms short arms etc, etc. Get It?
    Ignoring all suggested dimensions will help you avoid serious back problems as you get older.
    First, for versatility plan on having an adjustable height stool available to "take a load off."
    Second, stand at attention, brace, flex biceps "Place fingertips on front deltoids". Have someone measure from elbow tips to the floor.
    That is your bench top height. Customized for YOU.
    JMHO.
    Pepe Ray
    The way is ONLY through HIM.

I agree with the adjustable height stool bit - very important. As for the rest, when it comes to loading presses I don't believe anyone can say that there is an optimum height as using a loading press is different to just using a work bench for other jobs. The length of the press handle, its lowest travel point, its highest travel point, how far forward it goes, whether you use a progressive (with very little manual intervention) or whether you use a single stage where you are constantly changing bits by hand, all of this will have an impact on determining the best height.

Probably the best thing is to work out a height where you can use it comfortably while standing and then using the adjustable stool will let you sit if you want to.

I built mine at 33 1/2" to the bench top. Works well for me sitting on a stool.