Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2WidenersTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionRepackboxInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Movie "Unbroken"

Banned

Movie "Unbroken"

Is anybody else as pumped to see this as I am? I read the book and have been an admirer of Louis Zamperini for a long time. Saw this music video with scenes from the movie this morning for the first time, hope to get my whole family to go see it with me after Christmas.

http://www.fandango.com/movie-news/w...ype=Standalone

Boolit Buddy
    I also read the book some time ago. It has to be one of the best books I have every read. I hope the movie does a good job of showing the story of quite a Man. TKS KEN

Boolit Buddy
    Yes Sir! Read the book awhile back, loved it. My daughters (13 yo twins) can't wait to see it. We'll be going the see it this Saturday!

In Remembrance
    Don't know what it is, but the wife has mentioned it. I haven't been big on going to movies since you could watch them from the back seat. lol

Quote Originally Posted by starmac View Post
    Don't know what it is, but the wife has mentioned it. I haven't been big on going to movies since you could watch them from the back seat. lol
    If you in the back seat at the drive in you ain't supposed to be watchin' the movie.

BB

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerbeans View Post
    If you in the back seat at the drive in you ain't supposed to be watchin' the movie.

BB
    Could be why these newfangled indoor theaters never appealed to me much.

Boolit Master

I didn't read the book but the wife and I are going tomorrow to see the movie.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Banned

The subject matter of this one is so interesting and inspiring, I don't much see how it could not be at least a decent movie. I hope they don't gloss over his religous convictions, but I suspect they will. Even if they do, I still think I'm going to really like it.

Banned

We went and saw this last night. Definitely a good movie and well worth the cost of admission in my opinion. It didn't measure up to the book as well as it might have, but then, movies seldom do.

One dissappointment in both the movie and book is that niether covered much of what he did after the war. Laura Hilenbrand does talk about his forgiveness of his captors and how it healed his spirit, but Louis Zamperini did a lot to make society better out of his sense of service to God that seems to have gone largely unpublished, camps for troubles youth, etc.

Go see it if you can.

Boolit Grand Master

Thanks for the review, will put it on my DVD watch list.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    We went and saw this last night. Definitely a good movie and well worth the cost of admission in my opinion. It didn't measure up to the book as well as it might have, but then, movies seldom do.

One dissappointment in both the movie and book is that niether covered much of what he did after the war. Laura Hilenbrand does talk about his forgiveness of his captors and how it healed his spirit, but Louis Zamperini did a lot to make society better out of his sense of service to God that seems to have gone largely unpublished, camps for troubles youth, etc.

Go see it if you can.
    It's amazing how you have echoed my thoughts exactly, save the comparison to the book, which I didn't read. Like you, my only disappointment, if you could call it that, was the lack of info about him after the came home. Not only the good he did but also his struggles with PTSD and how it affected his life. I think that could have been a bit of a healing factor for our current service members. When they showed him carrying the Olympic Torch at the end I teared up pretty good.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Boolit Master

The LAST State to allow Conceal Carry -The new 5O
    Wife and I went last night.
    I really wanted to love it (TRUE STORY YOU KNOW)
    If I had to do it over I would wait for the DVD.

It was slow at times and I don't think it was executed well.

I don't know what other reviews are saying. but its not a Saving Private Ryan

I will read the book though. Louie was a true hero
    LOYALTY ABOVE ALL ELSE, EXCEPT HONOR

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading." -- Thomas Jefferson

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."
    Theodore Roosevelt

NRA
    BENEFACTOR LIFE MEMBER

Boolit Master

I just saw Unbroken. Incredible movie!
    Follows the book rather well. My highest recommendation.

Boolit Master
    We watched it, too, and thought it was great. There is a sequel to it, called "Unbroken, the road to redemption" we just wayched it a couple of weeks ago, and it was very good, too.

Super Moderator Emeritus
    Just saw second half of unbroken great movie.
    Was a must see after the first one.

I've seen both, they are different than what we expect from a movie. Goes slow for a while but then sometimes life does too. Shows sometimes you got to hit bottom before you rise to the top.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master
    It was a good movie! I haven’t read the book but I’m sure it’s in most cases the book was much better but still it was a good movie. Another one that I thought was really good was about the conscientious objector from West Virginia. The name of the movie was hacksaw ridge and it was about Desmond Doss . it went quite in depth about how we refused to carry a rifle or even shoot one he became a medic and saved countless lives going back into battle On Okinawa. He won the CMA and was awarded by President Truman . During basic everyone assumed he was a coward because he wouldn’t carry a gun. That was a really great movie
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Boolit Master

The LAST State to allow Conceal Carry -The new 5O
    Quote Originally Posted by poppy42 View Post
    It was a good movie! I haven’t read the book but I’m sure it’s in most cases the book was much better but still it was a good movie. Another one that I thought was really good was about the conscientious objector from West Virginia. The name of the movie was hacksaw ridge and it was about Desmond Doss . it went quite in depth about how we refused to carry a rifle or even shoot one he became a medic and saved countless lives going back into battle On Okinawa. He won the CMA and was awarded by President Truman . During basic everyone assumed he was a coward because he wouldn’t carry a gun. That was a really great movie
    CMA should CMH or Congressional Medal of Honor
    Yes it was a very good movie
    LOYALTY ABOVE ALL ELSE, EXCEPT HONOR

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading." -- Thomas Jefferson

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."
    Theodore Roosevelt

NRA
    BENEFACTOR LIFE MEMBER

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DCP View Post
    CMA should CMH or Congressional Medal of Honor
    Yes it was a very good movie
    Thank you for correcting. . me auto text strikes again! I sincerely apologize ! Of all things to mess up
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Boolit Buddy

I read that book on the beach of a PR island that was the location of a WWII base. There were rusting tanks within sight. Surreal surroundings for the story.

It’s a great demonstration that’s very applicable to the level of hatred from left field. It’s hard to comprehend how he could forgive those captors. BIlly Graham is missed.
    Stronger, Prouder and Greater!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast