Titan ReloadingInline FabricationLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLee Precision
Snyders Jerky Wideners
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rossi m92 instead of Marlin 1894c?

Boolit Buddy

Rossi m92 instead of Marlin 1894c?

I am in the market for a 357 mag lever action rifle and I would have preferred to get a Marlin 1894c; however, they are not readily available and the Rossi m92 is.
    A couple of things that I do like from the marlin 1894c are: drilled & tapped for scope mount and 1:16" twist rifling.
    Looking at the YouTube reviews, it seems that the Rossi m92 has an edge in accuracy over the Marlin 1894c with open sights.
    What I like from the Rossi rifle is the availability and the relative lower price than the Marlin.
    I have a Ruger 77/357 mag rifle and it shoots great but I also want a lever gun in that caliber. Should I go for the Rossi m92 in 357 mag 20" or 24" barrel? Or, should I save the $$$ and order one Marlin 1894c 20" bbl?
    With bias over one or the other aside, what would be you choice if you have the same dilemma?

I will sit aside and read your responses. Thank you.
    Camba

Banned

I have a 20" Rossi M92 .357 mag that I had worked over by a top SASS gunsmith. It is real smooth. I like it. The Marlin is more desirable and a better investment. The Rossi has a stronger action. I would rather have a nice Marlin, but would get the Rossi again if that was what was available at a decent price.

I'm going to disagree with my friend above about the strength of the actions. Aside from the few years of "Remlin" junk, Marlins are vastly superior in quality to the Rossi. My friend had a .44 Magnum Rossi that the magazine tube blew off of using factory ammo. I've seen scores of other weird breakages, too. Although Marlins are prone to the "Marlin jam," this generally only occurs after thousands and thousands of rounds. Any gun will wear out when you shoot it that much.

Boolit Man
    I had a Marlin 94 in 44 mag, this was a couple of years ago and it was made by Remington after they took over Marlin . . . it was a *** . I had nothing but trouble with it. Maybe they've improved their quality control since then . . . I bought a Rossi 92 in .454 casull last summer and am very pleased with it. I really like the 92 action a lot better and have not had any issues or problem with it.

Boolit Master

The round barreled (20")Rossi's are D&T'd for a scout scope. There are 4 mount screws under the rear sight leaf.
    A friend gave me his Marlin 94 carbine to play with for a while as I was thinking of buying one (prior to Marlin closing). I shot a number of different loads through it and came away underwhelmed. It will handle heavier bullets better than the Rossi at lower velocities but from a practical standpoint not that big of a deal IMO. As far as accuracy I'm sure you can find it with either gun, I consider them equals. I also had a Winchester 94AE in .357 (16" twist). It was easier to find accuracy with both heavy and light bullets with that gun and it held a slight accuracy edge over both Rossi and Marlin but not much. The downside of the Winchester was the action was not really designed for .357's and along with Winchester cheapening up their manufacturing process it was not reliable for high volume shooting. IMO in today's market I think the Rossi gives the most bang for the buck. I have owned 2 Rossi's, a Winchester and Browning 92 in .357. I still have the Rossi's. The Winchester and Browning went to people who just HAD to have them.
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

Boolit Buddy
    The rossi has the better twist rate for cast bullets. It is 1 in 30, so at the same velocities as a 1 in 16" it will allow for much softer lead. I run plain base Lee 158-RF out of BHN 9-10 lead at 1800 fps with 1 inch groups at 50 yards.
    This is with 16 grains of Lil Gun, and I'm gonna keep working up this spring and see if I can get 2000 fps, plain base, and accuracy. I think this super gentle twist will let it happen.

The down side to the slow twist is that 180 grains is about all the heavier it will shoot, and it won't shoot the heavy bullets subsonic. It does fine with 158 subsonics. But hey, a 158 hard cast penetrates deeper than any 30-06 load I have seen, even the fancy elk type bullets. I don't see the need for 180s unless you want expansion.
    Last edited by mnewcomb59; 12-22-2014 at 11:40 PM.

Boolit Master
    I have a Rossi 92 and a Winchester 94 in .357, and have played with a friends Marlin 94 in .357 enough to know it well also. Out of these three, I would keep the Rossi over the others. Now, all have had production issues at one point or another, so handle them and check them over well before purchasing, but I bet the Rossi will win, especially since (being on this site) you probably intend to stick with cast boolits.

And since Jmortimer brought it us with his comment about action strength, the Winchester 94 and Marlin 94/336 type lock-up designs are designed and safe up to about 40-45K CUP, while the Winchester 92, which the Rossi is a copy of, is good to 60K. I'm not saying or suggesting that it needs to be pushed to those levels, and for any sane and practical load, any of these actions is plenty strong enough, but Jmortimer was correct in his statement.

For my money, the Winchester gets very little use, although it is accurate and handles light loads great, but just doesn't feed as smooth as the Rossi. The Marlin I shot feeds better than my Winchester, but not quite as well as the Rossi, but VERY close, and shoots just as well as the Winchester. The Rossi is the smoothest of the bunch, allows the highest velocities with the softest lead, and gets a very slight accuracy edge over the others with iron sights, at least when I'm shooting these three.
    I passed my last psych eval, how bout you?

Boolit Master
    I have a marlins in 357 and 44. The 357 was easy to get to shoot. 180s and a case of lilgun. The 44 is a different story. It has done nothing but agitate me.
    You gents talking about the Rossi I may just have to send the 44 marlin down the road in favor of a Rossi in 454.
    Jeff

Boolit Buddy
    Camba, it would help to know what you are going to use the gun for.

Boolit Master
    JSH,
    If at all possible, I would say get the Rossi before you send off the Marlin, that way you have them both to compare side by side and can keep whichever you like better. If you go with the .454, for what it's worth, the .454 is a .45 Colt with a longer chamber and case, and my .45 Colt Rossi does ok with .452", but is great if the same bullet is sized to .454" instead, so I wouldn't be surprised if your .454 shows the same preference.

If you don't mind me asking, do you use the largest bullet that will fit a fired case in order to fill the throat of your rifle, or do you just go with the usual .429-.430"? I ask cause my only .44 Mag rifle so far is a H&R, and my first try at it was a .430" bullet and it gave horrible leading and 15-18" patterns at 25yds, but either .425" PPd up to .430" for it or feeding it .434" and it gives 3" or less at 100 yds with iron sights with no leading. I'm still trying to figure out which load I prefer, but so far, it seems it just depends on what kind of mood in in that day.

Boolit Buddy
    Thank you for all the advice. Please don't stop!
    I will be using this gun for boolit cast deer hunting and punch lots of paper to get to know the gun well. Definitely a scope is a must, due to my poor eye sight (due to age). I had just bought a Marlin 30-30 Win (pre-safety) used and I will also be tinkering with it for cast boolit deer hunting. I am also toying the idea of sending my Rem Mod Sevel in 7mm-08Rem to JES to re-bore it to 358 Win caliber.
    Eventually, I like to have all (or most of them any way) of my guns chambered to a 358 cal so I can use same type of boolits (pistol and rifle interchangeably). Am I crazy for thinking like that? I want to learn to be frugal with my shooting expenses to when I retire.

From the advice above, seems that Rossi 92 is winning. Will the 20" be better than the 24" barrel or vice versa? What is your thought on that?
    Camba

Boolit Buddy
    Based on what you are saying, between the 92 and Marlin, I'd opt for the Marlin. I believe the Marlin is already tapped for the scope mount. I have a 92 and it works OK, but has taken a lot of work to get it there.

As far as consistency, I cast .452 boolits that I use in two Ruger New vaqueros, a Model 73, a model 92 and also my 1911. Saves a lot of work.

Which ever way you go, good luck.

Boolit Master

I have the 92 rossi in 357 with a 20" barrel. I haven't had any problems and I am very pleased with it. I only use it for paper punching and tin can plinking. At 50 yards a tin can doesn't stand a chance with moderate loaded 158 gr boolits and my 60 year old eyes.
    Courage is being scared to death-but saddling up anyway. John Wayne

A man has to do what a man has to do. John Wayne

Boolit Master
    If the scope is a must, I have a question that you need to decide for yourself. The Rossi is DTd for a scope under the rear sight, so it would have to be set up as a scout-rifle type of setup with the scope forward of the action. The Marlin is DTd on the receiver, so allows the traditional scope mounting position directly over the action. So where do you like your scope? The main difference for your needs will be the scope position and the twist, with the scope position probably making more actual difference in the long run. I prefer the 20" version due to the balance, but I don't have scopes on any of my lever guns, and that may change the balance enough to make you like something other than what you thought you wanted initially. Since you have that 336 also, and I assume you will mount the scope directly over the action, it may be easier to go with the Marlin .357 instead of the Rossi just for the sake of having the exact same setup as your 336, but then again, sometimes it's nice to have something different. You have to do what makes you happy in the end.

Boolit Buddy
    Lonegun,
    Very good thinking. I prefer the scope mounted on the receiver. Never had a scout mount scope so I don't know from that perspective. I had been thinking about aperture sights for the lever guns. I am not used to them but I heard lots of good reviews. I like the scope situation for load development but I can make a "sacrifice" of shooting open sights; especially if I get a good accurate load.
    The only thing that keeps me from running to the store and buying a Malin 1894, is the fact that it will be back ordered and the price is north of $600 + tax. It is though a good investment. More than anything, I want to have fun and shoot it a lot. I am also thinking on getting my bolt gun Rem M7 to be re-bored to 358 Win. The only problem I see is that I will not be able to do both. Any thoughts?

Camba

I have a Rossi M92 - .454 Casull in SS with a 20" Barrel. It is very accurate and very solid (Built Like a Tank). At first the action was a bit rough but after putting about 1000 rounds of mixed .45 Colt and .454 Casull through it, the action is as smooth as can be. Back in the day, I had a Marlin .44 mag lever gun and had many problems with it, with respect to feeding. I had work done on it but it never was really right or even came close to the action on my Rossi.
    "Of All The Things I Have Lost During My Life, I Miss My Mind The Most!!!"

Quote Originally Posted by JSH View Post
    I have a marlins in 357 and 44. The 357 was easy to get to shoot. 180s and a case of lilgun. The 44 is a different story. It has done nothing but agitate me.
    You gents talking about the Rossi I may just have to send the 44 marlin down the road in favor of a Rossi in 454.
    Jeff
    If you do not mind me asking what is the problem you are haven with the 44 marlin? I have got a used one form someone and the only thing I need to do was when relaod my own .I had to use a Lee Factory Die because it did not feed right.Usen that die it took care of the problem,I got a Rossi 357 and I have n problems with it now just needed to move the front sight and that is all.Feeding is ok and the ammo I use in my BH is the same I use in the Rossi .Same as for my 44Marlin the ammo I use in that is the same I use in my Redhawk.After usen the Lee die it feed ok in the Marlin
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Bub
    If you're considering a Rossi. Check out http://www.rossi-rifleman.com Hosted by Ranch Dog. I have a M92 24" Octagon in .357 and have been happy with it. (no D&T for scopes on the Octagon barrels) Some folks kinda consider it a "kit gun" with a bit of additional cleaning up turn out to be a pretty nice gun. I put a spring kit, skinner peeps on mine and it works well for me.

Perma-Banned

I have the Marlins...but the Rossi's sure handle better. I am about to go buy a Rossi tomorrow...I have probably bought my last Marlin...although, I have no intention of selling the one's I have.

Boolit Master
    My 44 mag marlin just doesn't get it in the accuracy department. About 5" at 100 is the best I could get it to do. Bad thing is it was with that little lee bullet. I got side lined on other projects and didn't stay after it as I should have. Frustrated me as it just kind of stalled out and results didn't get any better.
    As to the above mentioned rebores in same calibers. It is kinda, sorta my same school of thought. Just don't think their is a good do all bullet for 357-35 whelan that will shoot and feed through all platforms. I myself don't like to load a lot of different loads with same bullet in one cartridge. To easy for me to get wrong ammo at the wrong time.
    My thoughts were on track with the 35 though as there are a lot of options in design and styles that shoot well. I have used my marlin 357 with the lee truncated nose to squirrel hunt. Then the same gun with 180's for use on deer out to 150+.
    A lot of folks look down their nose to those that have a dot or optic on a lever gun or wheel gun. A body does what they have to in order to shoot. Age is not or friend when it comes to eyes. I am happy for ya if ya don't have to wear spectacles.
    I have tried red dots and low power optics on my lever guns. My favorite scope on the lever is, don't laugh, the cross hair with a circle turkey scope meant for a shotgun. Buddy loaned me a bushnell firefly and I just don't like the heavy cross hairs.
    Jeff