Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingLoad DataInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Wideners
Reloading Everything Repackbox

Thread: Sears 30/30 AKA Winchester

Boolit Master

Sears 30/30 AKA Winchester

A while back i found a sears 30/30 made i guessing 1970s for 120 bucks about 90 percent blue. I the only thing i see they use a cheaper grade of wood. A lot of guy put their nose up if it not a Winchester stamp on the gun. Same thing with the marlin cheaper glenfield models I can find them cheap i buy them. It seem a lot of people think sears and wards made their own guns dead wrong

Boolit Master

You're right about Monkey Wards and Sears contracting for many of their firearms. They also carried many surplus rifles at very reasonable tariffs and I sure wish I could still order from their home catalogs.

While I was lucky and had a Winchester Model 94 as a boy, my .22 rifle was from Wards or Sears; but it was actually made by Marlin. My pump shotgun was actually made by Winchester, but it carried the Western Field moniker. I can't remember if that was from Wards or Sears. Another name found on these firearms is "Ted Williams."

I hope your Sears 94 shoots well. I saw one a few months ago at a gun show.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Boolit Buddy
    I inherited a Glenfield made in the late to mid 60's, that I have been very happy with. It shoots as well as any 30/30 I have ever had my hands on. Better than most.
    "Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian" Henry Ford

In Remembrance
    Don't forget revellation, these are some good buys too sometimes.

I have a savage 340 in 30/30 that is stamped just sears model 101.xxxxx
    I have a 222 that is branded revellation.
    And my sone has a revellation 30/30 iirc a rebranded marlin.

There is nothing wrong with any of them.

Boolit Master
    I have a Ted Williams 30-30 I was given way back when. Great gun. Not a thing in the world wrong with them. People can snurl their nose if they want, but the old Monkey Wards and Sears guns were well made guns that they wanted people to use back then. I would put most of them over the modern stuff being put out nowadays.

GoodOlBoy
    Yes I can be long winded. Yes I follow rabbit trails. Yes I admit when I am wrong. Your mileage may vary.

Keep your powder dry. Watch yer Top knot.

"Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!"

Yes there were "Short" 45 Colts! http://www.leverguns.com/articles/taylor/45_short_colt.htm

"Ted Williams."
    Sears offered an entire line of Ted Williams products, their Model 100 30-30, was in fact a model 94 winchester. I have one from 1984 that was fired 20 times as evidenced by the box of empty sears brass and two full boxes of ammo I received when I purchased it, and the testimony of the seller.

Fit and finish are excellent, the wood is plain brown wrapper walnut and it shoots soda can deadly at 125 yards with some RD 165's over 34grs of ramshot Big Game for an estimated 2000fps.

I always get a kick out of the winchester snobs that love their nissan's but got nothing good to say about a datsun..................

Boolit Buddy
    If you want a real "buy" find a "J C Higgins" Model 50. Mine is stamped .30-06 on the barrel and the receiver is stamped "FN Made in Belgium". Seems to be a nice FN commercial action, "plain Jane" walnut stock and is a pretty good shooter.

Boolit Master

And the model 53 of that was A SearsChester.

Model 70 with with white wood stock, blind box magazine and less elegant metal finish on the receiver. A little patience on the net and full bottom metal came to me as well as a wood and "plastic" model 70 stock.

88 for the rifle, probably 50 for the bottom metal, and 50 for the stock. Yeah that all seem s reasonable for an aught six.
    I guess one could fire a coated bullet out of it, but Ranch Dog 165 seems to do fine.

$120 for a 30-30 Lever SearsChester . . .

Yes i would in a new york minute
    Last edited by TCLouis; 12-24-2014 at 09:57 PM.
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

You're right. They shoot just as nicely!

Someone on this board told me about a guy who rebarrels guns for a small fee. He said the guy could rebore a Marlin 336 in .30-30 to .41 magnum, which just about got me spinning. I'd love a .41 magnum! Maybe I'll find one of those Glenfields and have the barrel surgery.

The .22 I learned to shoot on as a kid (and I still have!) is a JC Higgins, another Sears gun (I think it was made by Marlin). I don't remember the model number, but I used to shoot spent 7.62X39 cases from the 40 meter silhouette berm. That's accurate enough!

Boolit Master
    Back in 1972, I bought a brand new Winchester 94 off the rack of a local gun shop. Came in the box with the little pamphlet. Winchester stamped on barrel.

I got it home and even took it out shooting once down in the river bottoms before I saw the buttplate; it said Sears. I thought it kinda kewl.
    "What makes you think I care" ........High Plains Drifter

Rick C.

Boolit Bub
    I killed my first deer (and many after that) with a Ted Williams 100. My dad still has the Ted Williams Winchester 1200 shotgun.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by claude View Post
    Sears offered an entire line of Ted Williams products, their Model 100 30-30, was in fact a model 94 winchester. I have one from 1984 that was fired 20 times as evidenced by the box of empty sears brass and two full boxes of ammo I received when I purchased it, and the testimony of the seller.

Fit and finish are excellent, the wood is plain brown wrapper walnut and it shoots soda can deadly at 125 yards with some RD 165's over 34grs of ramshot Big Game for an estimated 2000fps.

I always get a kick out of the winchester snobs that love their nissan's but got nothing good to say about a datsun..................
    Lovin' the Nissan-Datsun analogy.
    I too keep a TW100 (Win'94-in-disguise) with a side scope & nice leather sling bought for cheap.
    Shoots lights out with 150s & 175s RD NOE CBs behind Rx7
    Surely a keeper.