WidenersRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRepackboxLee Precision
Inline Fabrication Titan Reloading
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Which self defense bullets you have in your gun? (opinions needed)

Boolit Grand Master
    Those same W-W SXT "LEO Only" rounds manage to get into citizen supply chains without much trouble. I have seen them at several gun shows going for fair pricing.

But fret not......these same loads now appear in the "WWB hollow-point" generic packaging. Same stuff. Identical. Same bullet as that in the SXT. Same velocity. Same expansion in Facklerjello (my agency verified this). This started when Winchester intro'ed their uber-tactical $1.15-per-shot stuff, and tried selling it on the State contract at that tariff. Agencies started doing some of their own critical testing, and learned what was up.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

I am surprised by the replies to this thread. Most of you fellows tout a cast bullet in some form or another for hunting, yet abandon that concept when it comes to protecting yourself. I have not shot a jacketed bullet in anything but my .380 in many years. The .38/.357s get 175 grain Kieth type bullets, .44 Special gets a 450 grainer of the same configuration and the .45 autos use a 230 grain truncated cone slug. Revolvers get a round flat point. They are all cast. They flat work on deer sized animals and I have full confidence that they will suffice for 2 legged vermin.

Boolit Buddy
    OH NOooo Dan. You opened the can of worms that is the "handloads vs factory for self defence" debate. My 45 ACP carry ammo are Glaser Safety Slugs. Long story short: an ambulance attendant acquaintance reported only 2 perps making it to the hospital alive after getting hit in the torso with a Glaser. One died on the operating table (hit upper left chest). The other had no gluteus maximus on left side (hit left lower abdomen).

Dan,

There area lot of threads on this topic.

But most of us carry manufacturer load for a court defense.

Its easier just to never have it brought up in court that you made your own "Killer" bullets.

If there is any doubt if the shooting wasn't justified. Any proscutie atty worth a grain of salt could against you.

To me its worth the cash just to avoid that.

Think how bad it would have been if George Zimmerman had his own cast. Bullets in his gun.

That may have been enough to tip the jury to thinking he was a looking for the fight.

I am almost always armed but seldom am I armed with the thought of shooting a human. Do you suppose I should take the home rolled cartridges out of my side arm when I go to town and replace them with tailor mades? If I then had to shoot a human or sub human, by the same token, the prosecutor could say I was upgrading my ammo with intent to kill. I will take my chances with what I have and won't criticize others for doing the same.

Boolit Master

The argument againt using any reload for SD has been discussed ad nauseum on boards and even by some writers in main stream shooting mags. But the fact is, not one single case has been brought up of what type rounds were used except for the ballistics of them. Unless you are using mercury, or something way out of the ordinary I would not worry about that part, just performance and accuracy.
    "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
    ~Pericles~

Boolit Master
    I've shot thousands of factory rounds through my self defense handgun without a hiccup of any kind. It's a Glock 17 in 9mm loaded with Speer factory ammo, Gold Dot 124. I really don't care about anyone else's ideas or their choice of handgun or bullet for self defense.

Matter of fact I went to the local range yesterday and popped off 50 rounds and not a hiccup of function nor problem putting two and three taps into a 5" bull at 10 yds.

I use FMJ in all my 45 auto's. Usually CCI's. I use my handloads at the range and hunting.

Boolit Grand Master
    As I explained a few posts back in this thread, I am required by regulations to use certain ammunition types in my sideiron. I do tailor handloads that match performance of those factory loads for practice.

During the many shooting investigations I was a part of, the subject of "handload vs. factory load" was never a subject of discussion at any step of the case. This was in California, the Land of Vicarious Liability. Everyone that shoots someone--regardless how justified that shooting may have been--gets sued. Usually, these civil matters go away with between $5K-$15K getting thrown the way of the litigant by a homeowner's insurance carrier. The lowlife or his heirs and assigns declare "Justice served" and march off with vindication--new 22" wheels on their roach coach--and a big-screen TV for their Section 8 apartment. Lovely.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Banned
    I still have BLack Talons for 45, 9mm, 38 & use them but when I have rotated & shot all I have I'll carry whatever premium PD bullet that works best in a specific gun.

"Moderator Emeritus"

BD-45's in 45 ACP
    Lyman 429667 in 44mag
    Lee 357-125-RF in 9mm and 38 special
    Group buy 358-180-RF in 357mag
    Krag35

I have never met a dishonest dog.

Expatriate, in my own country.

From a different angle I carry:

1. A SAA Uberti 45Colt/Ruger Blackhawk flattop loaded with 8.5 gr of Unique under a 260 gr LSWC
    or
    2. Norinco 1911 loaded with 13.5 gr of Longshot under a 200 gr LSWC in a 45-08 case
    or
    3. Ruger GP-100 loaded with 5 gr of Unique under a 200 gr Lyman RN hardcast.

All for four legged protection in the bush as backup to my 12 gauge shotgun loaded with Winchester PDX1 Defender ammunition.

Happy New Year

Bob
    ps a M&P 40Cal sits in my bed stand with 10 rds S&B FMJ - Not likely to do much but gather dust but my neighbour lost his wife to a home invasion in a town just south of Terrace a couple of years back. The RCMP can charge me with unsafe storage, if they want to....but that would be about it. The Castle Principle is alive and well up here.
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

Boolit Master
    When I was carrying my Kimber Ultra CDP I found that the 185gr Remington Golden Sabers were the most reliable out of that particular gun. Years later Bill Wilson wrote an article on Sub Compact 1911s and Reliability issues with heavier than 200gr loadings.

When I bought my 9mm it was after the Newtown shooting so finding a steady supply of SD ammo wasn't easy. I found a supply of the 124gr+p Remington Golden Sabers and they worked well. They are accurate and reliable out of my Sig P290. Once ammo became more available I tested the Federal HST and found them to be just as reliable and as accurate as the Golden Sabers. I still have a hard time finding the Gold Dots around here to try out.

My recent purchase of the S&W 442 Talo had me out testing again. The only +p I could find at the time were the new Winchester PDX. They were not accurate at all out of my gun so I bought some of the Remington Short barreled golden saber loads. They seem to be a little more accurate out of my gun. I have been looking for the Remington 158gr +p FBI load but most stores don't carry it around here. My 158gr SWC handloads shoot great so I am hoping to find the Remington offerings.

In my GP-100 I use the tried and true Remington 125gr SJHP. Inexpensive and accurate.

In my 10MM for SD I have the 175gr Winchester Silvertips. They work well and really are the only full power SD load out there besides from Buffalo Bore or Double Tap. I have used the 180gr gold dots from Buffalo Bore while working up in WA. They function well and are pretty accurate as well. Only downside was price.

Kansas requires factory loads for CCH. I usually carry a S&W 3 inch model 13 .357 Mag with Federal 357B. That's the 125 gr. JHP "self defense" once upon a time "Hydrashock". When I carry my 1911 I load it with Federal 45C, the 185gr. JHP, flying ashtray.

As of now I can't get a carry permit (hoping it's in the works soon). Our house guns are GP100's with 4" barrels...we use only Remington Golden Saber 38 special +P 125 grain ammo...When we want to stay "current" I load a 38 special +P with a Remington SJHP bullet and 231. Performance is about the same and perceived recoil and aim point are about the same. Just works for me and the practice ammo is near the same in ballistics, muzzle jump, flash and recoil.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega View Post
    The argument againt using any reload for SD has been discussed ad nauseum on boards and even by some writers in main stream shooting mags. But the fact is, not one single case has been brought up of what type rounds were used except for the ballistics of them. Unless you are using mercury, or something way out of the ordinary I would not worry about that part, just performance and accuracy.
    Exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by ruizhernandeztrust View Post
    Hi guys,
    As the title says what bullets you carry? A friend of mine gave me a box of Winchester 357 magnum 145 grains Silvertips saying those bullets are a P.O.S and he don't like them. I saw several videos in youtube and those bullets performed well in ballistic gel (good penetration, good weight retention, expanded well and very little fragmentation) This is the bullet I'm currently carrying in my sp-101 2.25". I think is a good stuff. So my question is... my friend is right or he's full of s**t? What's your opinion? Thanks in advance.

Expansion tests with your piece are what count. It's gonna be close range so all the other considerations sort of go bye bye.

PS,
    My personal preference for such in a real short 357 is soft #358395's seated backwards and seated out as far as useful. Not worried about speed loading, leading or muzzle flash. It expands great and goes spat.
    In a not real short 357 it's NEI's 148 grain gas check wadcutter cast soft and again seated out as far as useful.

160gr lead cast hollow points in the Glock 22
    125gr lead cast hollow points in the Glock 17
    250gr lead cast hollow points in the S&W 44mag
    Cast #4 buck (27 of 'em) in the Mossy 500

Anything still coming at me after all that can have my guns.

Boolit Master

Hornady critical defense in .40 & .45, Winchester Silvertip .32 auto

Boolit Master
    War_Boar21, Underwood Ammo loads excellent 10mm ammo both JHP and hard cast at a fair price. Excellent ammo in my experience.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast