Load DataWidenersInline FabricationReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2RepackboxLee Precision
Titan Reloading

Thread: Marlin Camp 9

Boolit Bub

Marlin Camp 9

I am looking at a Marlin Camp 9 carbine at a local pawn shop. I have wanted a 9mm carbine for awhile now. I have heard good things about the Marlin but does anybody here have experience shooting cast bullets in it? I have a 9mm load with a 125 grain round nose bullet that I cast. I use hi-tek coating on them but I wonder if the extra velocity would be too much for them. High speed isn't my goal I would just like to be able to use the same load I already have. Any advice will be appreciated. If I can't shoot lead in it I might pass on it. Thanks.

If it was at a good price I'd snatch it up. They're hard to find. If it doesn't work out, you shouldn't have a problem getting rid of it.

Moderator Emeritus

I have not shot cast through one but they are great lil guns. I have a camp 45 which to me is a bit to powerfull for the weight. The 9 just shoots better. You could probably make a profit on it if you choose not to shoot cast in it.

Banned
    I have one and its a great shooter with the lyman cast 115 with bullseye use S&W mags or meggar they work the best 59/69 series S&W its a fun little carbine.

Boolit Master
    I got one, I love it.
    It can use the S&W 59 series magazines.
    Yes, I have shot boolits thru it, on a steady diet.
    You may need to replace the recoil buffer, they were a cheap rubber compound, you can get them from Midway.
    It is great fun to shoot.

Moderator Emeritus

Yea, forgot. Change the buffer and the spring. I used wolf I think.

Yes do not shoot it until you check and/or change the recoil buffer. The originals crumble like sandstone from age and firing your Camp 9 with the bad buffer will damage the gun. Mine shot fine with cast loads.

Boolit Master
    yes, my buffer disintegrated to crumbles too, it jammed up the action. I had to take it all apart, get out the crumbles, and install the new buffer.
    Been there, done that.

Moderator Emeritus

When repcing the buffer I found that putting a lil grease around the insert holds it in place nicely. Had mine move and it was a pain as I was at the range without tools - was one of those days. No issues since.

Boolit Master

Defiantly change the recoil buffer they are old and DRY and will break apart. Mine now is a SBR NFA stamped 01 form using a Bowers CAC 9 it needed heavy springs to stay as quite as the MAC 10-9 but now it works sweet.

I had no luck with aftermarket S&W 59 mags but original S&W mags work ok.

Boolit Bub
    Thanks guys I put the Marlin on layaway. I have to get through Christmas so hopefully I will bring it home by the end of January. I will order a new recoil spring and a buffer before I pick it up. I'm looking forward to shooting it.

Boolit Master
    only thing I don't care for is the plastic trigger guard group.
    I suppose you should be careful about what kind of solvents you clean it with.
    It is a fun little gun, I think you will like it.

On the side, I also have the Camp .45acp. I have been ringing steel at 100 yards with it.

I shoot a Ruger PC 9, similar in most respects. I load 125 gr. cast bullets over a moderate charge of Bullseye. It functions fine, and I shoot the same load in my 9mm handguns. This type of carbine type rifles are kinda tough to find now days. I like mine a lot. Yes 100 yard gongs are pretty easy to hit. Lots of fun.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Shooter973 View Post
    I shoot a Ruger PC 9, similar in most respects. I load 125 gr. cast bullets over a moderate charge of Bullseye. It functions fine, and I shoot the same load in my 9mm handguns. This type of carbine type rifles are kinda tough to find now days. I like mine a lot. Yes 100 yard gongs are pretty easy to hit. Lots of fun.
    I like the PC 9 but they are hard to find. The same pawn shop had the 40 version. He sold it pretty quick. The good thing about the Marlin I already have the S&W magazines but I wouldn't mind having a Ruger in 9mm or 40.

I have both the 9mm and 45. Didn't know they were made in 40. I also have the 40 Ruger. They are pretty accurate for their purpose and I have had no problems shooting cast lead as they are blowback design.
    This country has gone to hell but now there is hope for us.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by hicard View Post
    I have both the 9mm and 45. Didn't know they were made in 40. I also have the 40 Ruger. They are pretty accurate for their purpose and I have had no problems shooting cast lead as they are blowback design.
    The Marlins weren't made in 40 I was responding to the other post and he mentioned the Ruger and the shop had a Ruger PC 40.

Boolit Buddy
    They shoot cast just fine as long as you don't try to load it too hot. Congratulations!