Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingRepackboxWideners
Load Data Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is this 9mm load too hot?

Boolit Buddy
    Lee 2nd edition has 3.7 of 700x with 147 grain XTP at OAL of 1.13. Taking all this data into account it SEEMS that your load could be 'hot"/high pressure at the seating depth you have selected...............but it might not be if your barrel/chamber has a generous leade loose bore etc.etc. Since these are the bullets and powder that you have I'd suggest trying a longer OAL so that you get back under some published data to make yourself feel comfortable. I would prefer a slower powder for the heavy bullet loads in 9mm just because they seem a little less touchy. However big variations in maximum charges based upon seating depths is inherent in the cartridge.
    Cast is an adjective, a noun and a verb. Cast works as both imperative and past tense without any additional letters or helping verbs.

Boolit Master

I've never been a fan of 700x, as it seems to spike pressures quickly when you approach max loads. I use W231 in 9mm mainly, but 30 yrs ago my mentor taught me a special load, which should work perfect for you.

Written in the margin of an old Lyman handbook in the 9mm data for the Lyman 358311 (a 158gr LRN usually used in 38 Spl.) was: 3.3grs Red Dot for suppressed (subsonic). I loaded a couple thousand of those for running through full auto, suppressed 9mm MAC-10s and Uzis, and they ran flawlessly, even in the open bolt systems. No smileys nor other pressure signs, and talk about quiet!

Now, this is with the old formulation of Red Dot, which Alliant still sells as "Promo".
    Group Buy Honcho for: 9x135 Slippery, 45x200 Target (H&G68), 45x230 Gov't Profile, 44x265 Keith

E-mail or PM me if you have one of the following commemorative Glocks you'd like to sell: FBI 100yr, Bell Helo, FOP Lodge1, Kiowa Warrior, SCI, and any new/unknown-to-me commemoratives.

Boolit Master

Thanks guys. I have gotten this to function near 100% suppressed at 3.3 gr but am working on some loads with slower powders.

Quote Originally Posted by petroid View Post
    Thanks guys. I have gotten this to function near 100% suppressed at 3.3 gr but am working on some loads with slower powders.
    Just out of curiosity, which slower powders are you working with?

Boolit Master

I have WST, CFE Pistol, and Power Pistol available. Will try CFE Pistol first as I have almost a full pound of it. Not much of the others.

I had excellent luck with both CFE pistol and WST in 9mm. The data from the Hodgdon site chronographed right where they said it would for me.

Boolit Master

Although I have it, I hadn't planned on using WST for 9mm. I haven't found any data for it from Hodgdon. I'll try the CFE Pistol first. Looks like it should work fine

There isn't any posted data except for an older Hornady manual. I use 4.3 grains under a Lee 356-120-tc. It gives me 1145fps with my Taurus pt92.
    Here is the data from the Hornady manual.
    Attachment 128000

Boolit Master

Thanks Tazman. Good to have that info

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12