WidenersReloading EverythingLoad DataInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is this 9mm load too hot?

Boolit Master

Is this 9mm load too hot?

I have a Lyman 356637 147gr mold that drops at 155gr with 50/50 pure/coww. Lyman's 48th gives a max of 3.3gr 700-X with this boolit at 147gr. I am shooting it out of a subcompact XD40 with a new EFK Firedragon 9mm threaded conversion barrel. I can load at 3.3 gr and it cycles fine but once I attach my suppressor, it is only about 50%. I have loaded some at 3.5gr 700-x and it cycles with the suppressor attached. I have not noticed any extra recoil and the primers do not appear flattened. I am using COL of 1.060 and Rem 1 1/2 primers. Considering the boolit is heavier than the load data is written for, it sounds like I am already over max at 3.3gr. If the 3.5gr load does not show any signs of overpressure, should I consider it safe to shoot, or try another powder? I just got an 8 pounder of 700-X and thought all my troubles were over lol.

There are no signs of over pressure, just case failure. Be careful, things get edgy with small cases with fast burning, bulky flake powders. I won't run 700x in 9mm for this very reason. When you say it's 50%, how? Short stroke? Slide too fast? Will lock back on empty? Odd ejection pattern from shot to shot?

I shoot heavy boolits in 9mm quite a bit but I use slower powders. My go to in 9mm for heavier than 140 grains are AA7 and Herco. They work great.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Jupiter7 View Post
    There are no signs of over pressure, just case failure. Be careful, things get edgy with small cases with fast burning, bulky flake powders. I won't run 700x in 9mm for this very reason. When you say it's 50%, how? Short stroke? Slide too fast? Will lock back on empty? Odd ejection pattern from shot to shot?
    it short strokes 50% of the time and doesn't lock back on empty. Without the can it does fine. I hadn't used 700-x before but knew there was load data so I though I'd be good to go. Oh well live and learn. Thanks guys

Banned
    I'm doing a 160gr RN with 3.1 gr of Unique or 3.1gr of 231

Banned
    I would be tempted to back off the spring a bit. I don't know what the LB is for the XD but I would try to get one that is a LB or two lower. The 3.3 is a MAX load @31600 cup.

Banned

Get a slower powder. 700x is way too fast.

Boolit Buddy

I load a lot of 9mm and my go to powder is HP-38 or W231 second in line is Bullseye. You might even try Tightgroup but slow the powder down.

Boolit Master

I've thought about that. Can't seem to find any lighter springs for the subcompact.

Boolit Bub
    http://www.gunsprings.com/ This is the Wolff Springs site, give them a try.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by chg View Post
    http://www.gunsprings.com/ This is the Wolff Springs site, give them a try.
    Thanks for the link but unfortunately they do no carry springs for my model

Banned
    Find a gunsmith and explain the problem to him. I'm sure he is not going to recommend going over the max load specs and will find you a spring that will work. Also, contact the factory and talk to them. I'm sure a spring can be found that will work. Its going to be a hassle but better that than going to the hospital because the gun blew up or your loved ones going to your funeral.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 6bg6ga View Post
    Find a gunsmith and explain the problem to him. I'm sure he is not going to recommend going over the max load specs and will find you a spring that will work. Also, contact the factory and talk to them. I'm sure a spring can be found that will work. Its going to be a hassle but better that than going to the hospital because the gun blew up or your loved ones going to your funeral.
    Im not real keen on swapping to a lighter spring, though I have thought about it. I don't want to beat the fun up when running unsuppressed. I'll try some different powders but after some more playing around it seems to be working better with the published load data. Maybe the new barrel needed to be broken in a bit. Thanks for all the help

Quote Originally Posted by petroid View Post
    Im not real keen on swapping to a lighter spring, though I have thought about it. I don't want to beat the fun up when running unsuppressed. I'll try some different powders but after some more playing around it seems to be working better with the published load data. Maybe the new barrel needed to be broken in a bit. Thanks for all the help
    Quite often that is the case. The new barrel fits really tight and needs broken in. When I bought and fitted my new Firedragon barrel, it took about 100 shots to get really smooth function out of it. Accuracy was great from the first boolit.

Boolit Master

Thx that's what I'm thinking is going on. I did feel a few tight spots in the action after installing the new barrel. I did a little sanding/polishing and after shooting some it seems to have loosened up enough to where it cycles nearly 100% with the can attached.still not locking back on last shot but its sure fun to shoot.

I shoot a lot of 115gr & 130gr boolits with 700x and have never had any issues. My pet load for that is higher than 3.5 gr.
    Your career doesn't define the man you are, what kinda Dad you are does!

If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom.
    Dwight D. Eisenhower

Boolit Master

Ask at Subguns IMHO they will let you know on you loads

Boolit Master

It appears one cannot link important reloading information from this sight. Sorry for that mods

Boolit Buddy
    You haven't mentioned seating depth/overall length. A quick check of other data sources shows a 147 grain HDY XTP with 3.7 of 700x. OAL is longer than the Lyman data. Seating depth always "matters" but it is a huge factor in 9x19. Shame on everyone for jumping to conclusions about "over book". MORE DATA solves a lot of problems.
    Cast is an adjective, a noun and a verb. Cast works as both imperative and past tense without any additional letters or helping verbs.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Treeman View Post
    You haven't mentioned seating depth/overall length. A quick check of other data sources shows a 147 grain HDY XTP with 3.7 of 700x. OAL is longer than the Lyman data. Seating depth always "matters" but it is a huge factor in 9x19. Shame on everyone for jumping to conclusions about "over book". MORE DATA solves a lot of problems.
    I am loading to 1.060" OAL. Lyman's 48th indicates an OAL of 1.058" and Hodgdon Web says 1.10" for the 147gr XTP with a max of 2.9gr 700X. My seating depth is .376" the 147 XTP at 1.10" would have a seating depth of .311"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast