Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionRepackboxReloading Everything
Inline Fabrication Wideners

Thread: Tried smelting my 1st batch of lead and....

Boolit Man

Tried smelting my 1st batch of lead and....

decided that what I had, which is a small propane camp stove, just wasn't gonna cut it. I put about 15 lbs. of SOWW in a cast iron pan on the stove outside, where it was about 36 degrees, and waited.....and waited....and waited. The burner was on high, but it just wouldn't get hot enough. I then moved it to the side burner on my grill, which is 12000 btu. Although it did finally melt the lead, it took a long time and I would have liked to get it a little hotter. It was liquid but around the edges of the pan would get a hard again as soon as I put the ladle in it. It seemed it wouldn't flux well either. So I decided I needed a turkey fryer burner. I stopped at Walmart on my way to work today to see what they had. I found one marked for sale at $49.99. I asked the guy stocking the aisle if they had any other models. Christmas is just about here and money is a little tight. Anyway, he said that was the only one they had and the tagged price was the Black Friday price and it has changed. I asked him to please check it out and let me know what it is. He came back and said it did change, it was now $25.00, are you still interested? I said "SOLD!" Threw it in my truck and off to work I go. I won't be able to try it until next weekend, but I think it should do the trick.

Yep, turkey fryer's are the thing to use. They get plenty hot and, starting cold, I'm fluxing the molten liquid in less than 15 minutes.

Moderator Emeritus

Put up some type of wind screen to keep the temp up. Good luck it is addicting!

Boolit Man
    I assembled it tonight and I will get the LP tank filled tomorrow. The one on my grill is getting low anyway. Good idea on the windscreen. Thanks

Boolit Grand Master

Next will be building a pot from an old propane tank to take advantage of the extra heat and melt even larger batches.

I have been smelting in a friend's shop. I discovered that ambient temperature makes a big difference when melting large batches. Even when it is only just cool inside, it is much harder to get a clean melt. I had to fire up the wood stove and heat the room, to get my lead up to temperature with a WalMart hot plate.

Wayne
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger - or else it gives you a bad rash.
    Venison is free-range, organic, non-GMO and gluten-free

Just make sure the pot is supported well enough with the turkey fryer. While you will save some weight with the propane tank for a melting pot over a cast iron dutch oven, the lead capacity will get you right up there in weight. I use a 12" dutch-oven from Habor Freight, which you can get for about $30 shipped--it holds around 100lbs in wheel weights.
    My Feedback, (did I buy or sell to you? Please add your Comments)
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...hlight=novalty

Boolit Man
    Yeah, right now I have a cast iron skillet. Once I collect more lead, I plan on getting a dutch oven. I have been keeping my eye out in thrift stores and flea markets.

Boolit Buddy
    What a coincidence! I just did my first smelt ever (haven't cast ANYTHING in about 12 years), but had a buddy donate 'a lot' of lead sheathing of various types.
    Dug out an old propane burner, a garage sale pot I'd picked up, the dollar store muffin pans and slotted spoon and went to town.
    BTW the OVE gloves are a godsend.
    I had forgotten how heavy the pot gets when even just 1/3 full of lead ... Filled the muffin tins and endured the smokey sent of charring plywood (under the muffin tins). Lots to relearn, but I did have an old metal dross can handy ... Result: 15 uneven looking but clean ingots of lead (I did cast a few bullets so I can do a Brinell test).
    Today is a medium sized mound of various old cast bullets, pulled bullets, donated cast oddities ...

I use a stainless steel pressure cooker I picked up for $1.00 at a thrift store

Boolit Grand Master

Your first melt went about like my first one! I got a couple hundred pounds about half melted and that was it, a heavy half melted blob in my pot. Not enough burner. I built a stand and burner and now I do about 400# at a time.

Boolit Master

check a see what pressure it operate at? I have a couple that to low so it takes forever to melt my lead but I also found one that runs on 10psi it takes a few mintues to melt 25 to 50 pounds of lead in a LP gas tank cut in halfmaybe 10mintues start to finish( it would hold about a 100 pounds if I needed to smelt that much ) add a lid loosely over the top helps too. it doesn't have to be the right cast iron lid for your pot just a old cookie sheet works here or roofing tin well you get the point
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here

Boolit Buddy
    Did a second batch today. Melted down a bunch of scrap bullets, some older ones for cartridges I no longer shoot etc... Got about 15 muffin pan ingots out of it. I see the comment about the muffins 'tinning' themselves to the pans has some truth ... and near the end a spider was headed down a line to warm "obliteration".

Having had one 'June bug' flash fry/pot explode in a small pot about 1985 while stationed in Kansas, I quick swatted that critter down and stomped it. No Tsunami of molten lead headed my way thank you.

Boolit Man
    I hooked up my turkey fryer last night to check it for function. It should do nicely. It sounds like a jet engine when on high!

Boolit Grand Master

My home made one is very loud too.